CBS 2013-14 Season Ratings

cbs-tv-show-ratingsCBS is still the most-watched network but almost all of their established shows are down year-to-year. Plus, none of their new shows can really be considered hits. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CBS shows this season (so far): 2 Broke Girls, 48 Hours, 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, Bad Teacher, The Big Bang Theory, Big Brother, Blue Bloods, The Crazy Ones, Criminal Minds, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Elementary, Extant, Friends with Better Lives, The Good Wife, Hawaii Five-0, Hostages, How I Met Your Mother, Intelligence, The Mentalist, Mike & Molly, The Millers, Mom, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Person of Interest, Reckless, Survivor, Two and a Half Men, Under the Dome, Undercover Boss, Unforgettable, and We Are Men.

There’s lots of data that CBS looks at when deciding whether to renew or cancel a TV series but ratings are typically the biggest piece.

Check other networks’ rankings:
ABC | The CW | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays and Saturdays, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make way for something else?

Sarah November 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I really enjoy NCIS and The Big Bang Theory. I am surprised The Mentalist isn’t higher with Red John being so close to be revealed :)

Gary November 19, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I have two words for “The Crazy Ones. PAM DAWBER!!

Matt November 10, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Good Wife is the best show on television and has been for a couple years now. It deserves much better ratings.

luke November 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Hostages is the best show with the blacklist and chicago fire

snowwy November 17, 2013 at 3:12 am

I like Hostages!

anne October 29, 2013 at 5:27 am

I really hope they don’t cut Hostages out. It’s a thriller I actually really enjoy watching. Sad to see they don’t have better reviews… My Monday nights wouldn’t be the same without How I Mer Your Mother and Hostages! Please CBS!

Bethany October 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

First of all, it would be easier to watch the shows if they could bother to keep the schedule that they say they will. Take anything that airs on Sundays, which of course you can’t possibly be expected to watch because weather it is football, golf, or some stupid college sports event, the shows NEVER air when they are supposed to air. This means that either your DVR will only record a few minutes of a given show you want to see, with several minutes of a show you DON’T want to see…. OR you try to tune into the program live, only to turn away because it is not what you know it should be, and you find other programs to take up those timeslots. Of course you can also blame the failing ratings for Sunday programing on other preemptions like for awards shows and what not, which most people who actually tune in to watch sports shows don’t watch.

The same rule applies to every show that airs on television. If you can’t keep the shows in their timeslots, how do you expect anyone to track them down to watch them? 2 Broke Girls is an incredible show, and could have a long and profitable run, however they never let it stay in the same timeslot for more than a few episodes at a hit. There is always something messing with that lineup. This is a common issue across every network, but is especially evident on this one. It is pathetic to think that someone has the job of trying to force viewers away from their network because they can’t leave well enough alone.

Valeria October 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm

If CBS ever cancel Person of Interest, I hope they give the writers enough time to write a great final season. I love this series and will buy the box set to watch it forever! Remember CBS lots of notice to the writer. Writers–go for it write everything and say everything you wanted the characters to say and do.

debbie October 26, 2013 at 10:50 am

I watch alot of CBS shows and really find many of them to be very good, but I just don’t care for Hostages. Elementary is one of my favs. Mike and Molly make me laugh. Hawaii Five O and Blue Bloods make my Friday nights.

Anthony Bassien-Capsa October 25, 2013 at 6:06 am

When the third NCIS series will begin?

admin October 25, 2013 at 7:20 am

They’re shooting the two part episode of NCIS in February and they’ll air in the spring. We won’t know if it will be a series until then.

NME October 24, 2013 at 6:03 pm

What difference does it make what age group is watching what as long as a program is getting watched?

Andrew Soukup October 24, 2013 at 3:44 am

CBS def has some good shows right now…..2 Broke Girls is my favorite sitcom on TV right now by far…The Millers is funny and has been in my regular rotation since it came on…Mom is also a funny show and its really strange how this and 2 Broke Girls are so low on the list…I really hope they get another season cause it would be a shame to se them both go…why do all the good shows get the least viewers…The Big Ban Theory is not funny at all I can’t stand that show yet it continues to do good….WTF!!!

Sam Day October 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Just wondering if you’re going to update Season Premiere episode of H50 with final numbers (1.6, 9.46 million viewers). I think you still have the fast affiliate numbers listed. I know it won’t make much difference to the averages but in the interest of accuracy…no offense intended.

admin October 12, 2013 at 3:48 pm

No offense taken and I appreciate your pointing that out. Fixed! :)

Sam Day October 12, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Wow that was fast — thanks! Obviously, I’m a fan of the show and hope they get at least one more year so every tenth of a point helps.

Thanks for the time/effort you put into this website. I prefer looking here for ratings as the comments are friendlier/less harsh than some other websites. I’ll never understand why people take the time to make a nasty comment about a show they don’t like. Call me crazy, but if I don’t like a show, I don’t watch it and I certainly don’t post lengthy vitriolic diatribes about it!

admin October 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Thanks! :)

Scott October 11, 2013 at 2:27 am

Ever since the new season started, i can’t view any charts on this site..

admin October 11, 2013 at 6:43 am

I’ve heard from some people with the same issue. It’s a browser problem. I’d suggest reloading the page. If that doesn’t work, make sure your browser is up to date. You can also can try disabling your browser’s plugins, restart the browser and reload the page. If the chart shows up, you know it’s one of the plugins. Moving forward, I’m also going to start including links to the charts so you can see them that way. :)

emaegf October 12, 2013 at 2:06 am

Also try clearing your browser history

Anthony Bassien-Capsa October 10, 2013 at 3:43 am

When will you gonna make a list of cancelled TV shows for the 2013-14 season since, there’s two new shows which have been cancelled (Lucky 7 on ABC and We Are Men on CBS), and some other which are ending (How I Met Your Mother and The Mentalist on CBS, Good Luck Charlie on Disney Channel), or has been renewed for the 2014-15 The Simpsons, Glee, Sleepy Hollow on FOX, American Dad which’s gonna move to TBS next Fall or Mad Men which gonna end in 2015 on AMC)?

admin October 10, 2013 at 7:05 am

I was waiting for the second network cancellation. Now that we have that, I’ll be making a new list. By the way, I’m not aware that Mentalist is ending.

nate October 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm

H5O gave up on trying to attract younger viewers a season or two ago and it shows in the demo ratings and the subsequent move to Friday night. They took the most popular commodities with younger viewers DDK and GP and relegated one to side player and the other to a cheesy romance story line.

Game over with younger viewers and probably game over for the show too when they hit the required syndication episode numbers. Who knows, maybe CBS is cool with it lingering around being the Hawaii version of Matlock but with a younger cast? That’s basically what they now have.