CHAOS: CBS Pulls New Series After Three Episodes; Cancelled?

CHAOSRight on schedule, CBS has decided to ditch their new Friday night TV series, CHAOS, after just a few weeks on the air. The show stumbled in the ratings right from the start and never recovered. It’s no longer on the air but is it cancelled?

A dramatic comedy, CHAOS follows a small group of CIA misfit spies who make up the Clandestine Administration and Oversight Services (CAOS). In addition to taking on threats to national security, they also must take on redtape and typical government bureaucracy. The TV series stars Freddy Rodriguez, Eric Close, James Murray, Tim Blake Nelson, Carmen Ejogo, Christina Cole, and Kurtwood Smith.

As detailed here, CHAOS debuted to a horrible 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.53 million viewers. That was quite a bit lower than the season average of Medium, a series that CBS cancelled because of poor ratings.

In the second week, CHAOS fell even lower to a 0.9 rating in the demo and 5.73 million viewers. Last Friday night, bumped up ever so slightly in the demo, to a 1.0 rating and 5.683 million. Unfortunately, that was far from enough of a gain to save the TV series.

CBS has pulled CHAOS from the schedule effective immediately. This week, a rerun of CSI: NY will fill the timeshot — and probably get better ratings. Next week, the previously scheduled The Royal Wedding: Modern Majesty will air. Then, beginning on May 6th, new episodes of Flashpoint will take over.

The network has 10 episodes of CHAOS left sitting on the shelf. CBS hasn’t said if there are any plans to release the unaired installments. Though CHAOS hasn’t been officially cancelled yet, there’s no way that they’ll be renewing it for a second season.

UPDATE: A statement from CBS indicates that the show will return to the schedule at some point in the future.

What do you think? Why did the TV show do so poorly, even by Friday night standards? Will you miss CHAOS?

Gina February 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

BRING IT BACK TO US!!!

Ryan February 16, 2012 at 9:41 am

I agree….. This show was Genius….. We all this Garbage on like great cake bakers and jersey shore and survivor and all this Total CRAP!, and they end shows like this??? The reason ALOT of people stopped watching tv and went to netflix and DVR Only because of cancelling shows like this…. Justified, Chaos, defenders, Burn Notice, White Collar, covert Affairs, sons of anarchy, and now Grimm and Once Upon a Time all literally SAVE television… Because even Oprah herself with her new channel is doing reality garbage all day long! It’s sickening and sucks….. But there’s nothing we can do I guess…. Especially when they throw it in spots they expect to fail…. They keep trying to bring the TGIF back to Friday nights but it will Never happen…. The only thing saving u nowadays is Tivo and DVR…. It’s just sad…. I don’t know what else to say…. But I can garuantee this… The jersey shore will get spin-offs with shows only about these jerkoffs, and that’ll be al there is left to tv other thsn the occational sports game…… And I don’t really like to watch sports……

sharon February 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm

sorry to see the show canceled. It was fun to watch.

Karen Swaine February 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

I liked the show. Was sorry when it went off. It was a refreshing change from the reality shows and forensic science. Too much over kill in those areas.

Virginia February 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

Love the show.

It didn’t do well because it’s funny, and smart, and not one of those dumb reality shows – like the Bachelor.

I guess network TV has been dumbed down so much that the shows worth watching get pushed out.

I hope ShowTime or HBO would pick up a series like this.

On a similar topic, Showcase has a couple of terrific shows (Covert Affairs, Burn Notice) which are also about the exploits of CIA employees (or ex-CIA employees) – which I enjoy very much, and hope they last longer that Chaos.

Eve February 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm

CHAOS was great. Bring it back. And advertise it!!!!!

Patti January 31, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I have been watching for the return of this wonderful show. I looked forward to it every week and thought it was one of the best. Please bring it back!!!!!!

winter January 24, 2012 at 5:49 am

it was a great show.wonderful timing for comedy, action, suspense.had everything.
please bring t back.its one series tht i will wait to watch this year.

carrie hulka January 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

i think chaos was a great action comedy and a real refreshing change from all those stupid reality shows. how much bad can we take????

j-dog January 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Great show, sadly didn’t air in my country so i was forced to download it.
I do think shows like this might work better once the media companies stop chasing down pirates and start selling shows online correctly. I’d have paid a few $ for each episode

Gouge January 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

It was a good show. Maybe not enough sex or violence for our new society Give it a chance.

Joey January 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

CHAOS cancled? Maybe if they gave the show more that 1 or 2 weeks to prove themselves. Some shows they shuffle around until it finds an audience. Some shows they just cancel. I love this show. My husband and I never missed an episode.

Chris December 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm

BRING IT BACK!!!

Yorugami December 29, 2011 at 6:21 am

Seriously TV has gone to the reality tv shows made for cheap bargain prices.
Because this show is actually a jewel in the rough.
It’s hard to find good police shows that not only still entertain but make us laugh as well.
I’m sick of all the same CSI NCIS type cop shows that seem to be showing one after another.
This actually has a taste of the old 1990’s type shows where everyone from kids to adults could watch with the family. Seriously…what was CBS thinking? Maybe they should have just marketed it more. I’ve heard nothing but good about this series in the wide world of the internet. I think…they just needed to find the right audience for this show.

Barbara December 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

Loved this show. Very sad it’s gone.