Charlie’s Angels: Cancelled

Charlies AngelsTo absolutely no surprise, ABC has cancelled Charlie’s Angels after just four weeks weeks on the air. The new TV series struggled in the ratings right from the start.

Starring Annie Ilonzeh, Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor, Ramon Rodriguez, and (the voice of) Victor Garber, the remake debuted to an unimpressive 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.76 million viewers. The demo dropped by an astounding 29% in week two and then another 20% in week three to a 1.2 rating.

Last night’s installment of Charlie’s Angels bumped up a little, to a 1.3 rating, but the increase was far too little to save the show.

Eight episodes were produced before production was shut down and next week’s installment is still scheduled to air. No word on when or if ABC will burn off the remaining three. Two animated specials — It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and You’re Not Elected, Charlie Brown — were already scheduled to fill the timeslot on October 27th.

This marks the first cancellation of the new fall season for ABC. FOX is the only one of the five networks that hasn’t cancelled any shows this fall and it doesn’t look like they’ll need to.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see the new version cancelled? Could it have been saved?

Kevin October 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

It had potential. Casting was an issue. The reinventing of the concept was an issue and initially I thought the show made them all look like hookers with guns. Admittedly, after the pilot, the show started to grow on me. I just wish it would have lasted long enough for it to find a steady audience and for the original Angels (Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Kate Jackson) to guest star. Oh, well. At least I’ve got the original in reruns.

Bruce October 15, 2011 at 8:39 am

Dang it. I really liked this show. But it seems the networks (especially ABC) take great pains to cancel the shows I like. And I still don’t understand something. How is it, in an age of declining network ratings to begin with, due to all the other choices out there now, cable, netflix, on demand, streaming, Hulu, and just plain going out on a Friday night, do they figure an audience of almost 9 million people is a bad rating. They want 40 million people watching some show on a Thursday night? Come on.

mark October 15, 2011 at 7:23 am

should remove c.a.,it sucks!erica durance is a bad guest star and is very much old.

Brandox Xavier October 15, 2011 at 6:28 am

The only surprising thing is it taking 4 weeks to pull the plug. Chemistry between the stars? Zero-zip-zilch-nada. I’ve seen better ensembles in high school theatre. I’m not saying that individually the stars don’t have any talent — and certainly the eye candy factor is there — but taken collectively they just didn’t work. Was it the casting choices, the directing, the writing, or some combination thereof? Who knows. The series just needed to end, and end quickly.

tedolan October 15, 2011 at 5:16 am

Watched the first episode for about 20 minutes, it was dreadfully painful. The voice of Charlie was terrible, the guy who played Bosely was horrible and the actress – well whoever said they could act has never seen an actor. Not surprised -

matt October 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm

did not shock me at all it was not good at all

Craig October 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I have to start by blaming whoever cast the angels. Your show is not off to a good start if none of your actors has a look that will make them stand out. These three women would be wonderful clothes models. They look good, but their looks do not distract you from the clothes. They are basically manikins.

Beth Coccaro October 16, 2011 at 7:32 am

It’s “mannequins”. But I agree with the sentiment!

Gus October 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm

The CW renewed all their new shows as well… FOX isn’t the only one.

admin October 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Gus » They cancelled H8R.

Tha Critic October 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Yippee! YES!!!! However, I do hope the actresses have better success on other projects.

Peyo October 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm

The show should never have been televised in the first place. Sad thing is, more garbage will replace it. The biggest shock was the absolute NERVE of Drew Barrymore to parade these untalented losers onto stage at the Emmys, talking about “passing the torch.” Newsflash: Drew, your movies were trash; you did pass that torch. Abd bye-bye Playboy Club. Next up: Whitless (oops, Whitney), and Pan Am.

Q October 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I think Whitney may have gotten a full season order already.

admin October 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Q » Yes, it did.

Bill C... October 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I thought the show was ok overall and planned to keep watching it mostly due to Mika Kelly. To me was a very bad time slot, I watch Big Bang, Community and Vamp Diaries also and would choose them over Charlie’s Angels but thanks to on demand was still able to see it.

Dave October 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Well no surprise to me. I watched it, but only cause I had nothing else to watch and it was on in the background while I am on my computer. Nothing great, fluff.

Eric J Mata October 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm

“FOX is the only one of the five networks that hasn’t cancelled any shows this fall”
What show from CBS has been cancelled?

admin October 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Eric J Mata » How to Be a Gentleman.

Jim October 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm
nealadams70 October 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Wasnt surprised AT ALL….The original ‘Charlie’s Angels ‘ was a show that was conceived to make a statement about sexy , liberated women operating successfully in a ‘mans’ world of crime solving. Its time had passed. Since 1976, the theme has abounded on so many shows its ridiculous. Besides , the outdated theme, these ‘Angels’ clearly ‘ripped off ‘ the NBC show ‘She-Spies’ ….’bad girls gone good-?’ (and they werent refering to Rihanna ).I figure Drew Barrymore wouldn’t know any better, but Leonard Goldberg should be ashamed…

CHET October 14, 2011 at 1:09 pm

DAM!!!! I AM HATEN ABC THEY DIDN’T EVEN GIVE IT A CHANCE…WTF…THHEY CANLED MY SOAPS AMC,OLTL AND FOR THE PAST FEW YRS THEY BEEN CANLEING MOSTA THE SHOWS I WATCH,, I HOPE ANOTHER NETWORK PICKS UP CHARLIES ANGLES AN IT TAKES OFF ITS A GREAT SHOW TIME TO BOYCOTT ABC
CHET CZEREPICA