Charmed: Has the Halliwell Sister Magic Run Out?

Halliwell sistersCharmed, which recently celebrated a milestone as being the longest-running show featuring all female leads, may be headed for a big finish. Last year, it looked like the WB’s long-running show about beautiful witches was going to be cancelled but the series was given a new season order at the last minute. This year, with the contracts of the female leads (Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs, Rose McGowan and Kaley Cuoco) and executive producer Brad Kern expiring, it looks doubtful there will be a ninth season.

In a recent interview with TV Guide, Kern said, “Nobody at WB will commit one way or the other. I’ve heard nothing about it. As far as I’m concerned, this is it. Last year the show was held in limbo, but fortunately ‘the governor called’ and we got another year. I wasn’t able to craft a season or series finale [then], so I did sort of a hybrid, which to me was disappointing creatively. ”

He continued, “This year, with no contract for the girls and no contract for me, the WB seems to be looking forward to looking for ‘the next generation’ of shows. We’re still an expensive show, and all those factors tell me that, here in the middle of January, I’m just pushing toward the series finale. It’s too late for them to say, ‘We want to find a way to make a ninth season’ – but it doesn’t mean there can’t be a spin-off.”

Kern went on to say that, in an ideal world, he would bring back many of the past cast members for an appearance. But, with budgetary issues having taken center stage this year (hence the reduced appearances of Brian Krause’s Leo character), it seems doubtful that you’ll see the return of Shannon Doherty’s Prue or Julian McMahon’s Cole.

Still, Kern has other magical surprises in store for fans saying, “The huge problem I have to deal with this year is the budget cutback. I’m trying to save money each episode so I can afford to bring back as many of the regular cast members as possible. Who that will be, I don’t know, but my plan is to have the equivalent of a ‘family reunion’ including as many people as I can afford.” In addition, Kern didn’t rule out the possibility of creatively used flashbacks. TV Series Finale home page

Jessica July 22, 2006 at 8:11 pm

This show is one of my most loved shows ever!!! I love charmed and i watch it every single day. I do not know what am i going to do if Charmed is cancelled, you will never know what happens to the sisters and to Pipers sons. They have to have a 9th season they can even make it like 10 years later or at least have a movie that explains everything.So Please WB dont cancell one of my most loved shows!!!!!

Lette July 14, 2006 at 5:52 pm

This show has always been a huge part of my life. I watch it in the morning and in the evening, also on sunday nights. I couldn’t bare to see it go. Please give us one more season. It’s too soon to end it. They talk about so much of the future I feel we would be left wondering what really happened and if it were true. One more year for Charmed!!!! I hope you see how devoted we all are to the series. Also, I agree we need guest appearances from Pru, if this is possible.

Jasman July 13, 2006 at 10:02 pm

Please don’t put charmed off the air I love the show I cryed happy and sad times on this show like the time Pure died and Piper had her first child and when she finally relized that she was going to have a baby Piperis my favorite charcator and I am going to miss her and her sisters when they go off the air o and when are they going to play the season final even thought i don’t whan chamed to off the air but when are they going to do the season final on TNT so that i know when to watch please let me know because I am really going to miss it and are they going to put the season final on DVD so that I coulod have all the epiosdes so that if they don ‘t play rerun I can watch it any time if day because like I said the first time I don’t want them to go off air and if they go off air are they going to come back soon because I am really going to miss them

jessie July 13, 2006 at 1:03 pm

i really dont want the show to end its all i have to look forward to during the day if it goes off the air think of all the kids and how dissapointed they will be alot of people love this show my friend got me hooked on it 5yrs ago now i have my mom hooked on it so dont take t off the air

Anonymous July 3, 2006 at 7:13 am

CHARMED IS SUCH A GREAT SHOW, I CAN’T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD WANT TO TAKE IT OFF THE AIR. I WISH THEY WOULD RUN A MARATHON OF CHARMED STARTING ON A FRIDAY AND RUN THROUGH SUNDAY. THEY SHOULD START WITH THE FIRST SHOW AND CONTINUE TO THE LAST SHOW, IF THEY EVER DECIDE TO DO THIS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SO I CAN WATCH THEM ALL.

Elijah Dupree June 27, 2006 at 9:40 pm

”CHARMED” IS UNLIKE AVERAGE PEOPLE SEE THAY KICK BUTT AND STILL HAVE TIME FOR A NORMAL LIFE. THEY HAVE KIDS FIND LOVE JUST LIKE WE WANT TO. WE THINK ABOUT SAVING THE WORLD BUT WE CON’T. I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH I GET UP EARLT IN THE MORNING TO WATCH IT. THEY ARE THE IDEAL PEOPLE. AND EVERY ONE WANTS TO BE JUST LIKE THEM. BUT NO ONE CAN IT’S SO HARD TO BE PERFECT. BUT PIPER, PHEOBE, PAIGE, LEO, WHITE, CRIS, GRAMBS, AND MOM, PULL IT OFF. THEY MAKE THE IDEAL PEOPLE IN THIS SICK TWISTED WORLD. THATS EXACLY WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS RIGHT NOW. EVERY BODY IS GETTING KILLED AND IS GOIN MIA. SO ”CHARMED” YOU GUYS ARE THE IDEAL PEOPLE NOT SHAQ, BEYONCE, MARIA CAREY, AND NOT EVEN BOW WOW. BUT YOU GUYS ARE THE PEOPLE THAT EVERY BODY WANTS TO BE. SO PLEASE DON’T GO OFF AIR IT WOULD JUST BREAKE MY HEART TO SEE ANOTHER GOOD SHOW TO GO OFF THE AIR.

molly jayne armstrong June 8, 2006 at 9:09 am

please,please,please don’t take charmed off the air , i love that show sooo much if you take it off the air i will be soooooo upset i have been watching charmed sine day 1 . i love the actresses that play phebe, piper, page,and prue . please don’t take it off the air i would love to see what happens after the sisters vagkwish zancu

TAYLOR CARTWRIGHT June 7, 2006 at 12:34 pm

HEY WHATS UP IS THERE A NEW SEASON OR NOT DONT MAKE ME CAST A SPELL IM 12 I NEED MORE !!!!!!!!!!

sonia velasquez June 4, 2006 at 7:55 pm

when is you last season coming out on C.D

laura morgan June 4, 2006 at 12:29 pm

plzzzzz say that this is not the end?????? charmed is such an amazin show and has giving me alot to learn about in life!!! i really love it n will b sad to see it go.
the 3 main stars are so good at acting that if this should end, i hope they go on to do something just as good as charmed. on the last episode i actually cried……i love this show sooooooooo mch!!!!!

GRADDIENU June 1, 2006 at 7:17 am

Please don’t take charmed off the air, it’s a wonderful show. I watch the reruns over and over and there is still so much you can do with the show. we really haven’t seen what Wyatt and Chris can really do with their powers. I know we saw them come from the future but it’s not the same as watching them grow and learn about their powers, and please try to use the original cast they were all the best they were like real family. So please, please don’t take it off the air.

Diana Mansfield May 25, 2006 at 8:51 am

I am so upset that Charmed will not be back. I have watched this show from day #1. Besides the current season,(I always look forward to Sunday nights) I watch the reruns over and over again. Please find a way to bring back this show. I absolutely LOVE that show. I don’t think I’ve ever been hooked on a show like I am with Charmed. These girls, besides being beautiful,– just CLICK. They ALL CLICK. Leo, Chris, Wyatt, (the child that played Wyatt, wow, he was great!!) Grams, Mom, Dad. Please find a way!!!!!

Sandy May 23, 2006 at 2:16 pm

I love this show. I am not a big TV fan, but every Sunday at 7:00 I turn on my TV to catch the new episode. I also tune in for the re-runs. What a tradgedy that this show must come to an end. I really wish WB would reconsider. Without Charmed I don’t really have a reason to turn on the set anymore. Believe it or not it was one of the best shows running. So many shows that are on the air don’t even come close in comparison. If at all possible keep Charmed or a spin off at least.

Debbie S May 22, 2006 at 7:58 am

I have watched charmed ever since it started, It’s hard to believe that it’s been 9 years. I’ll be sorry to see it go, it is my husband’s and mine favorite show. We watch it in the mornings and also at 6pm here in Winnipeg. The show has come so far, the sisters are part of our Sunday evening’s. We will be sad to see it go WB will be losing a big audiance by letting Charmed go. Please find money to sign them for a 10th season. We are charmed fans from the beginning to the end

NM & CS May 21, 2006 at 9:10 pm

We agree with everybody! Charmed is the best show that the WB could have on the air and we can’t believe that it’s over. What are we going to do with out it? It’s like losing a friend. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON”T TAKE CHARMED OFF THE AIR! THE WB WILL LOSE SO MUCH MONEY AND VIEWERS!!!! It can’t end like this, WE NEED ANSWERS!!!!!!!