Charmed: Has the Halliwell Sister Magic Run Out?

Halliwell sistersCharmed, which recently celebrated a milestone as being the longest-running show featuring all female leads, may be headed for a big finish. Last year, it looked like the WB’s long-running show about beautiful witches was going to be cancelled but the series was given a new season order at the last minute. This year, with the contracts of the female leads (Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs, Rose McGowan and Kaley Cuoco) and executive producer Brad Kern expiring, it looks doubtful there will be a ninth season.

In a recent interview with TV Guide, Kern said, “Nobody at WB will commit one way or the other. I’ve heard nothing about it. As far as I’m concerned, this is it. Last year the show was held in limbo, but fortunately ‘the governor called’ and we got another year. I wasn’t able to craft a season or series finale [then], so I did sort of a hybrid, which to me was disappointing creatively. ”

He continued, “This year, with no contract for the girls and no contract for me, the WB seems to be looking forward to looking for ‘the next generation’ of shows. We’re still an expensive show, and all those factors tell me that, here in the middle of January, I’m just pushing toward the series finale. It’s too late for them to say, ‘We want to find a way to make a ninth season’ – but it doesn’t mean there can’t be a spin-off.”

Kern went on to say that, in an ideal world, he would bring back many of the past cast members for an appearance. But, with budgetary issues having taken center stage this year (hence the reduced appearances of Brian Krause’s Leo character), it seems doubtful that you’ll see the return of Shannon Doherty’s Prue or Julian McMahon’s Cole.

Still, Kern has other magical surprises in store for fans saying, “The huge problem I have to deal with this year is the budget cutback. I’m trying to save money each episode so I can afford to bring back as many of the regular cast members as possible. Who that will be, I don’t know, but my plan is to have the equivalent of a ‘family reunion’ including as many people as I can afford.” In addition, Kern didn’t rule out the possibility of creatively used flashbacks. TV Series Finale home page

Chitra June 20, 2007 at 5:50 pm

It’s really very sad that my favourite Charmed ones will be no more on TV. My day used to start by watching Charmed and I would really love to see them. Now, on TV they are repeating all the same episodes but I need new ones. Please somebody make charmed new series to come up once again on TV.

Anonymous June 20, 2007 at 8:37 am

Im mad because they are not making any more eposiods. Charmed is the best show ever made. They should do more. Like how they got where they are now or how the kids are living with fighting demons and how the kids grow up with learning how to fight demons and how Paige, Pheobe, and Piper are living with there happy lives that is what they should do for thier fans.

mike June 14, 2007 at 9:37 pm

hi im mike i think that you should make more seasons of charmed i watched that show from day one and i will be very mad if it doesnt get to go on charmed is the only show i really watch all the time i watch it everytime its on i think you should let charmed come back i think theres no reason to replace charmed alot of people love that show and there is no other show that can replace charmed so plzzz put charmed back onto tnt and plz do a season 9 i think all the sisters are so hott and piper shes my top my favorite one sshes so hott and shes super mom

jared johnson May 19, 2007 at 7:46 pm

hi well im a big fan of charmed i have seen all of the seasons and episodes and they are hella tight, the characters are really good too and i hope there is gonna be a 9th season also im tryna own the rest of the season to charmed its been my number one favorite show well i hope you have another season.

Nikki May 18, 2007 at 8:46 am

Well I have being watching Charmed as long as i can remember because my mom lives the show and I will be sad …. no not sad really sad to see it go I have being bagging my mom to buy all the seasons so I can wacth it with her. I that they can make as many shows as they can. I will be watching.

mirlinda May 6, 2007 at 12:12 pm

i love very much the charmeds

Michael April 23, 2007 at 6:16 am

You guys are so retarded. This message was posted a year ago, you tards. Charmed is gone. It’s not coming back.

byron brown April 9, 2007 at 4:27 pm

i wish someone would suggest a CHARMED reunion show/movie so that fans can see what the halliwell/wyatt family is upto now. all of the info given on the series finale it would be cool to see the information in more detail

stephanie April 5, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Ill hate to see charmed go off the air and if i hads anything to do with it charmed would never end ive watched this show from the first episode and it makes me cry to know that this amazing show wont be givin the chance to show it and i would love it if prue came back to the show at least one time and gosh if cole did buddy i would have a fat heartattack hes so hott lol but my opinions on taking charmed ogg the air is………………….well i might get in trouble if i speak my mind but it really is dumb also i wont each everyone that cares to know that this is my favorite favorite favorite show

Tina March 29, 2007 at 12:02 pm

I really like the show. It is alot better than half the shows on T.V. now. Please put it back on the air.

Anonymous March 16, 2007 at 11:00 am

I love you giss espeshly wen phebe was a mermad

Anonymous March 13, 2007 at 2:22 pm

wb if u take charmed off the air they will lose alot of views cuz everybody loves charmed please plaese plaese keep it on here

Erin March 11, 2007 at 3:12 am

I think there should definatly be another season i don’t know y they ever cancle a good show. If people love the show and half or more of the free world watches it just keep making it it has to produce something. Everyone i know loves the Charmed ones i miss prue, and cole though. But the show must go on there are way to many ppl that work arround the schedule of when its on i watch from 7am to 9am every morning and then again from 3pm to 5pm every afternoon I work overnight jsut so i can watch it. I Really hope that they find some way to keep it going everyone would much appreciate it jsut look at all the comments on this page. No one wants to see this show leave there are so many unanswered questions that it would not be fain to the people that have been watching it for eight years. If this is the end there had better be one hell of a final show where some of our questions get answered, like about wyatt and chris and piper and just everyhting!!!

Damien March 10, 2007 at 12:00 pm

CHARMED cannot go because i love the programme i’ve watched every single episode and have got series 1-7 on DVD i’m getting the 8th next week i want there to be a 9th even 10th series cus i love the adventures they get up to and i think that piper (holly), phoebe(alyssa) and paige(rose) are the most fittest women i’ve eva seen i love the lot of them.

Cathy March 6, 2007 at 9:01 am

I came late into Charmed. However I really enjoy the show and hope it will continue. If not give us reruns. Prue should make guests appearances like Grams and Mom. Continue the show as the next generations of Halliwells grow up with appearances of everyone. We want more please!!