Charmed: Has the Halliwell Sister Magic Run Out?

Halliwell sistersCharmed, which recently celebrated a milestone as being the longest-running show featuring all female leads, may be headed for a big finish. Last year, it looked like the WB’s long-running show about beautiful witches was going to be cancelled but the series was given a new season order at the last minute. This year, with the contracts of the female leads (Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs, Rose McGowan and Kaley Cuoco) and executive producer Brad Kern expiring, it looks doubtful there will be a ninth season.

In a recent interview with TV Guide, Kern said, “Nobody at WB will commit one way or the other. I’ve heard nothing about it. As far as I’m concerned, this is it. Last year the show was held in limbo, but fortunately ‘the governor called’ and we got another year. I wasn’t able to craft a season or series finale [then], so I did sort of a hybrid, which to me was disappointing creatively. ”

He continued, “This year, with no contract for the girls and no contract for me, the WB seems to be looking forward to looking for ‘the next generation’ of shows. We’re still an expensive show, and all those factors tell me that, here in the middle of January, I’m just pushing toward the series finale. It’s too late for them to say, ‘We want to find a way to make a ninth season’ – but it doesn’t mean there can’t be a spin-off.”

Kern went on to say that, in an ideal world, he would bring back many of the past cast members for an appearance. But, with budgetary issues having taken center stage this year (hence the reduced appearances of Brian Krause’s Leo character), it seems doubtful that you’ll see the return of Shannon Doherty’s Prue or Julian McMahon’s Cole.

Still, Kern has other magical surprises in store for fans saying, “The huge problem I have to deal with this year is the budget cutback. I’m trying to save money each episode so I can afford to bring back as many of the regular cast members as possible. Who that will be, I don’t know, but my plan is to have the equivalent of a ‘family reunion’ including as many people as I can afford.” In addition, Kern didn’t rule out the possibility of creatively used flashbacks. TV Series Finale home page

danielle October 6, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I really do hope that there will be another season of Charmed i love the show Iam a BIG fan of the Show and if there is a another eposide appearing can i be in it i mean i Love the show and i hope Cole, Chris, and Wyatt be in it just Wyatt and Chris be older that will be a great show i miean i still watch the re~runs i wish the the series keep going on!!!!!

lola August 15, 2008 at 10:28 am

I love charmed and I don’t want it to end its so gooood I’m hooked and to the other commentors pru was pretty boring and generic when she left that’s when the show heated up and caught interest the most the plot twists and drama made it great before when pru was there the show was about her …. where’s the room for the other sisters …. I so x3 pheobe, piper and paige gurlsss I LOVE YOUR SHOW
1 more year c’mon =D

ellen January 14, 2008 at 6:21 pm

man that sucks that there are no more charmed shows that was the only show that i watched i would come home from school and watch that show that is how good it is. i think that they should have another year or maybe even more that is how good it was. so those people that had cancled the show shouldn’t of so yeah. man i wish that u could come back please please and thank u that would mean so much to me and everyone else that loved this show just like me so come on and have some more seasons.

PRUE December 11, 2007 at 7:41 am

Without Prue, it is the same nomore.
Bring her back, let em be the real CHARMED ONES!

Ashleigh November 12, 2007 at 10:44 am

THis show rocks i have seen every episode and I Love it

Lindsey Hill November 5, 2007 at 7:06 pm

I would love a charmed season 9 you can’t be doughbtful. One of the best show I have ever seen on the wb if you do bring it back it would have to be on the cw because its not wb anymore. I am already very disapointed that it has not came to season 9 yet on television..

isabella October 2, 2007 at 3:08 pm

omg i love your show plz dont stop playing it on tnt i really lik it do u think its actually true to be a charmed one?? plz answer me back

NOBODY September 28, 2007 at 8:55 am

OH MY GOSH!!!! DO U PEOPLE EVEN WATCH CHARMED LEO AND PIPER HAVE 3 KIDS 2 BOYS 1 GIRL.PHOEBE AND COUP HAVE A LITTLE GIRL.PAGE AND HENRY HAVE 3 KIDS AND I HEARD THERES A NEW CHARMED COMING OUT BUT WITH THE KIDS NOT PIPER, PHOEBE, AND PAGE. PHOEBE AND COLE MY THE PERFECT COUPLE ON THAT SHOW EVEN IF HE WAS A DEMON!!

piper September 17, 2007 at 10:58 am

i love charmed me and my best friend are going to change your name to piper halliwell an prue halliwell. we love the show i cryed for days when i found out it is going to be over. i wish that prue never die i hate page she mess every thing charmed is going to be in our hearts for every

thalie August 7, 2007 at 5:54 pm

please dont cancell the show . my fave sis is phoebe she’s awesome and my fave episode is when she turns into a mermaid . DON”T CANCELL THE SHOW!!!

Anonymous August 5, 2007 at 11:34 am

i am twelve to i got all of the seasons of charmed that came out im waiting for the 8th season i hear its coming out in september i rreally hope theres a ninth season.

c.m August 3, 2007 at 10:48 am

i love the show.

Alice July 6, 2007 at 6:27 am

I live in italy and the show is going to finish today…
please don’t let it end….
I love it….

Jocelyne July 2, 2007 at 3:47 am

I love Charmed!!!! i might only be 12 but i’m the biggest fan ever!!! i really really hope that there will be a 9th season!!! i was to young to remember prue so i went and bought seasons 1-3 and now i’m low on money so i’m hoping that my mum will buy the others!!! i’ve got to say that me favourite Charmed One has got to be piper!she is great, a kicking ass mum and one of the best witches. i also think that in the first time Chris appeared i fell inlove… nah jokes but did think he was super hot. i have watched every single episode and i’m waiting to watch alot of new ones!!!! i was scared of watching Charmed when i was little but it just showed me wat lyes out in this world!!!! this is my favourite show in the world and if i ever watch Charmed again my dad will think i am crazy but wat can u do its the most amazing show ever!!!! i believe there are things out there like demons and warlocks and real life witches don’t you think so???!!!

vickie June 21, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Please reconsider ending show we the people need a show that shows the younger generation that good must always fight evil. We love all the cast members. It would be great to see all the funny and neat things the babies could do.