Chicago Fire: NBC Gives Full Season Pickup of 22 Episodes

Chicago Fire pickupThough the ratings for Chicago Fire haven’t been impressive, they’re apparently strong enough for the peacock network to give the drama a full season pickup of 22 episodes.

The news comes on the heels of this week’s installment seeing a 38% boost in the coveted 18-49 demographic. This will help the show’s season average but was likely a fluke, fueled by having The Voice as a lead-in. Unless NBC, pairs the two permanently, you can expect the numbers to go back down next week. UNless the numbers go up, Chicago Fire is still in danger of being cancelled in May.

Here’s the NBC press release:

NBC HEATS UP “CHICAGO FIRE” DRAMA SERIES WITH PICKUP COMMITMENT FOR REMAINDER OF 2012-13 SEASON

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – November 8, 2012 – NBC has picked up its new freshman drama “Chicago Fire” with a production commitment for the remainder of the 2012-13 season, it was announced today by Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment.

“We all love this thrilling new drama with its sexy breakout cast. We are excited to see it gaining traction on our schedule,” said Salke. “Executive producer Dick Wolf and all the producers have done an amazing job developing a high-stakes series with lots of great heroic characters whose exploits are depicted in Dick’s typically epic storytelling style. We are incredibly invested in this one and can’t wait to hear about their plans for the rest of the season.”

“Chicago Fire” is averaging a 2.4 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49 and 8.0 million viewers overall in “most current” averages from Nielsen Media Research through the season’s first six weeks. In “live plus same day” results for the current week, “Chicago Fire” generated new series highs in adults 18-49 and total viewers, making it the first new drama on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox this season to top its premiere results with any subsequent telecast.

From renowned, Emmy Award-winning executive producer Dick Wolf (“Law & Order” brand) and creators Derek Haas and Michael Brandt, the writing team behind “3:10 to Yuma,” comes the high-octane drama “Chicago Fire” — an edge-of-your-seat view into the lives of everyday heroes committed to one of America’s noblest professions. For the firefighters, rescue squad and paramedics of Chicago Firehouse 51, no occupation is more stressful or dangerous, yet so rewarding and exhilarating. These courageous men and women are among the elite who forge headfirst into danger when everyone else is running the other way.

The pressure to perform on such a high level has a way of taking a personal toll, sometimes putting team members from the Truck and the specially-trained Rescue Squad at odds with each other. Lt. Matthew Casey (Jesse Spencer, “House”), in charge of the Truck, butts heads with the brash Lt. Kelly Severide (Taylor Kinney, “The Vampire Diaries”) of the Rescue Squad.

The firehouse also includes: Battalion Chief Wallace Boden (Eamonn Walker, “Oz”); paramedics Gabriela Dawson (Monica Raymund, “The Good Wife”) and Leslie Shay (Lauren German, “Hawaii Five-O”); Peter Mills (Charlie Barnett, “Law & Order: SVU”), an academy graduate who is the latest generation in a family of firefighters; and Christopher Herrmann (David Eigenberg, “Sex and the City”), a seasoned veteran who must uproot his family to move in with his in-laws.

In addition to Wolf, Haas and Brandt, executive producers also include Matt Olmstead (“Breakout Kings”), Joe Chappelle (“The Wire”), Danielle Gelber and Peter Jankowski (“Law & Order” brand). “Chicago Fire” is produced by Universal Television and Wolf Films.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that there are a lot more episodes of Chicago Fire to come? Do you think the series will end up getting renewed for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

Sidney Wynn January 16, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I love this show. My girlfriend and I has made this show like our weekly date. We love watching Chicago Fire. Awesome show!!!

Sidney Wynn January 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I love this love. My girlfriend and I has made this show almost like our weekly date. We love watching Chicago Fire. Awesome show!!!!!

jessica January 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

im glad chicago fire is staying on tv i love the show and i hope it will continue to stay on tv

Lauri January 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I love this show! It’s the first drama that I have been excited about in a long time!

Udal January 10, 2013 at 1:21 am

Love this show and now that it follows my favorite Law &Order SVU, it makes Wednesday night a good TV lineup.
Glad they are giving it time. NEVER watch the voice. Way too many fake reality shows.

Laurie December 9, 2012 at 12:31 am

This is my favorite action drama, after Southland. I love the edgy realism of both shows. It’s too bad that this quality show is struggling, I am hoping for a season 2.

Desiree December 3, 2012 at 1:20 am

I love this show!! I really hope it’s not cancelled.

Carm November 30, 2012 at 7:27 am

I love this show.
Finally a non reality show on TV that has great characters and excellent stories!!!

Ali November 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm

My favorite #1 show to watch & not miss…I’m glad it repeats on Saturday nights (didn’t repeat on Nov. 24 due to being a holiday weekend)…my brother was a volunteer fireman for many years & I can appreciate all the things they go through…even the volunteers have to know everything that the regulars know…the town my brothers lives in are only volunteers so those people are definately glad there are people willing to put their lives on the line to help them when they need it the most…awesome guys…& such a handsome cutie that Australian Aussie Jesse Spencer is…they picked the perfect guy!!! Thanks Jesse for taking the part…your fans love you…

debbie gilmour November 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love Chicago Fire, but they should spruce it up with adding a female firefighter, which gives Severide something to think of, and you should have a epiosode where Kelly gets hurt and lands in the hospital, then maybe he won’t be so pigheaded about his shoulder.

Joshua Joseph Sabatino November 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm

A very telling and powerfull comentary on human life. I hope this drama survives. The world we live in is full of emergencies. This show captures our fragility and amazing strength as Americans. We as a civilized society are committed to keeping us as safe as we can from ourselves and outside forces. It is what makes us special and so incredibly vulnerable. And jesus that lesbian is hot as hell.

Shannon November 13, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Thought it was great…think more people need to see it once…they will love it and the second season will be followed by plenty more!!

SNAPPS November 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm

It’s great news to hear Chicago Fire’s getting some more episodes to add to an already great season. I didn’t think this show would be much to watch but it’s actually better than expected. I enjoy watching and recording my primetime shows, but the problem’s I always have a bunch of primetime shows to record, but not enough DVRs for the job. I have to pick what I’m going to watch and miss out on others, but I don’t have to worry about that now that my coworker at DISH told me about the Hopper DVR. I can get all my primetime shows recorded with this cool feature called PrimeTime Anytime. This means I can record all four major networks nightly everyone gets their shows too. I’ve never enjoyed this much TV without the headache which’s enhanced my TV experience.

Cassandra Contreras November 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Super Excited!!!!!
Show is a must watch in my household

Maureen November 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

I’m thrilled that there are still more episodes coming up and hope it goes to a second season.