Combat Hospital: ABC’s Latest Medical Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Combat Hospital cancel or season twoLast year, ABC had some success with Rookie Blue, a cop drama that’s produced north of the border, in Canada. It’s already been renewed for a third season. This summer, the network began airing another Canadian show, Combat Hospital. Will it find the same success as Rookie Blue or be cancelled after one season like their last medical series, Off the Map?

Combat Hospital (formerly known as The Hot Zone) revolves around the life and work of a group of doctors and nurses from various countries at a military hospital in Southern Afghanistan. The cast includes Deborah Kara Unger, Michelle Borth, Elias Koteas, Terry Chen, Arnold Pinnock, and Luke Mably.

The TV series debuted on June 21st to a less-than-impressive 1.2 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.32 million viewers. It was in second place in the timeslot, being handily beaten by The Voice on NBC. The second episode of Combat Hospital dropped 8% in the demo and the following week fell another 9%. Week four then dropped 20% to a 0.8 demo rating.

The ratings have gone up and down a bit since then but the show is only averaging a 0.9 in the demographic and 4.0 million total viewers. While viewership is typically lower in the summer months, this performance is not good at all. ABC has several new shows running and Combat Hospital is currently tied with Friday’s Karaoke Battle USA for last place.

Based on the ratings, there’s simply no reason for ABC to want to renew Combat Hospital for a second season. The 13th and final episode of the season (and likely the series) is set to air on September 13th.

But, what do you think? Do you like Combat Hospital? Should it be cancelled or renewed? Is it worth watching? Cancel or keep it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

224 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Deborah says

I am amazed at the intelligence of some people. Combat Hospital was by far the best tv series I have watched in some time. I’d rather spend my time watching this than some silly reality show like the bachelor or bachelorette .

2. Jay says

Bring it back! I am so tired of all the idol, voice, reality shows that are no where near reality, if anything this is more realistic!.. Wake up!

3. Just Me says

I like Combat Hospital! I Think It Should It Be Renewed! It’s Worth Saving, Cause It’s An Awesome Show Along With A Great Cast! So You So Called Smart People In The “Big Offices” You All Need To Get Your Heads Out Of Each Others Butts And Renew The Show!

4. Ken says

Please don’t cancel this show like you did with so many others like “Off the map” and then some! ABC, you really need to stop cancelling shows as much as you have! You all rank #1 in show cancellations! with NBC and Fox tied at #2! Please learn from CBS on how to keep shows on by putting them at better times and days!

Kenny

5. Peter Moore says

What a bunch of dorks. This is Mash without the humour. I loved it. I wish they would bring it back in a better time slot.

6. FJ says

Hopefully not cancelled. But, unkike all the insipid reality and stupid comedy shows, it probably will be. Seems like programs that are either entertaining or present the real reality are not popular with the desired demographics.

7. Steve says

glad this show is gone. i really thought it was humorous that there were relatively no Canadian soldiers deployed outside of their own country and yet … they were giving orders in afghanistan. the only place that could happen is tv

8. Leona says

I really enjoy this show. It wasn’t advertised a great deal by the Network so I didn’t even realize that it was on until a friend of mine recommended that I watch it. I am so glad that I did and I hope too that they bring it back!

9. Sarah says

I hope they bring Combat Hospital back i really was starting to follow the characters i thought it was facinating i hope they don’t cancel it!!!

10. jayson says

wow I liked combat hospital.the story line were tepid but this is due to it being season 1.The characters were believably real it was gritty and even though it was never shown in Ireland I went on to website to see the episode with anticipation;bring it back please…