Common Law: Already Cancelled? No Season Two?

Common Law not coming back for season 2?It looks like Common Law won’t be back for a second season. While the TV show hasn’t been officially cancelled by USA, the signs are all there.

Common Law follows a pair of LAPD detectives — Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) and Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole). They bicker but their talents mesh so well that their commanding officer, Captain Sutton (Jack McGee), orders them into counseling to keep the team together. The series also features the talents of Sonya Walger, Elizabeth Chomko, Alicia Coppola, Nora Zehetner, and Reed Diamond.

The first season averaged 2.13 million with a 0.6 demo rating on Friday nights. It was the lowest-rated original scripted series on USA this summer, performing worse than Fairly Legal, the sophomore series that also aired on Fridays.

According to Deadline, Common Law’s fate seems all but sealed. The options for the entire cast have expired so those contracts would have to be renegotiated for a second season to happen — if the actors aren’t committed to other projects. In addition, the show’s executive producer and showrunner, Craig Sweeny, has been hired as an executive producer on CBS’ Elementary series — a new take on Sherlock Holmes.

What do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Common Law? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

natasha October 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

i love common law it’s awesome it should comeback for a second season.

iChristy October 7, 2012 at 7:10 am

I love the show! The chemistry of the main characters is great. I had it set on my DVR as a series recording so I would never miss an episode. I’d really love a season 2.

Melanie October 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I love Common Law, especially Wes! I can’t understand why it wouldn’t come back. >:(

D Smith October 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

We really enjoy this show. There is so much on that is just garbage it would be good if my dollars spent for satellite are actually for something worth watching. I don’t know how the networks determine what is worth putting on tv. I do not enjoy all the gore, smut, twilight style programming that seems to be taking over the channels.

Linda Thomas October 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Have you seen Made in Jersey? I bet they are loving Common Law now. I can’t believe they think yet another sappy attorney show is better than a humorous cop show. Common Law deserves a second season to build on their characters, that finale was so good, I think they are just beginning to shine. If someone has to go, it should be the newest comer. KEEP THE GUYS!!!!!!

Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Please stop renewing shows that are expired!!!! Common law has so much potential!!!! Sorry to say but royal pains sux and burn notice is played out!!!

SB October 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm

“Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?” – Because the majority of people counted by Nielsen ratings will always be biased towards stuff that “pleases the masses” ie, mostly reality television & other similar shows. Second, the show has a plenty big audience, it’s just not big enough for the standards set by their fated network (a preferred 5-10mil average for “big” cable channel, as opposed to the big broadcast ones of 10-20mil.. if it were on either a lesser cable or broadcast channel with similar, then it wouldn’t be considered so bad). Third, various factors can affect the ratings including 1. the “audience” that would best appreciate it / like it was just not aware of its existence &/or 2. the odd scheduling (being a random cable show) made it difficult to find & keep up with &/or 3. the rest of its audience, besides not being Nielsen viewers, are probably waiting for the DVDs or watching virtually (online sources, etc). So there you have an answer, why many decent entertaining shows don’t get the chances they deserve to truly grow & reach their intended audiences. Personally, I haven’t even watched Common Law yet (I would’ve, but I don’t watch USA except for White Collar, thus I somehow missed whenever CL first start then it was already over.. still on my “to-watch” list tho!) but I’m still bitter about losing Human Target from FOX, so.. :/

Bubba October 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

I loved this show. Please do not cancel

Charlene September 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Please bring this show back on.
Love this show.

trooper September 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I would to see a second season.

Angela September 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I would love to see it come back! We recorded every episode so that we wouldn’t miss it with it being on a Friday. Please keep it!

Tyrone September 26, 2012 at 5:09 am

you’ve got to be kidding me…….bring back another season…..PLEASE!!! I’ll pay to watch it…lol

Shill September 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I would love to see Common Law come back for a second season. I thought the show was really good! I think the reviews were not good because it came on on a Friday night (date night; end of work week). I hope they give it another chance with an earlier time!

chanta September 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

i would love to watch season 2 of common law i enjoyed the first season and did not missed one episode and the reason the rating was down a lot of people work at night and did not have time to watch it.

V September 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Funally A show that has action and some nice eye candy with a true story line. Please bring it back.