Common Law: Already Cancelled? No Season Two?

Common Law not coming back for season 2?It looks like Common Law won’t be back for a second season. While the TV show hasn’t been officially cancelled by USA, the signs are all there.

Common Law follows a pair of LAPD detectives — Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) and Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole). They bicker but their talents mesh so well that their commanding officer, Captain Sutton (Jack McGee), orders them into counseling to keep the team together. The series also features the talents of Sonya Walger, Elizabeth Chomko, Alicia Coppola, Nora Zehetner, and Reed Diamond.

The first season averaged 2.13 million with a 0.6 demo rating on Friday nights. It was the lowest-rated original scripted series on USA this summer, performing worse than Fairly Legal, the sophomore series that also aired on Fridays.

According to Deadline, Common Law’s fate seems all but sealed. The options for the entire cast have expired so those contracts would have to be renegotiated for a second season to happen — if the actors aren’t committed to other projects. In addition, the show’s executive producer and showrunner, Craig Sweeny, has been hired as an executive producer on CBS’ Elementary series — a new take on Sherlock Holmes.

What do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Common Law? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Sarah October 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Finally a decent new show and they’re canceling it! My husband and I love this show. Clever writing and excellent acting! Bummer. Hope they somehow get a 2nd season!

Nicole October 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Please bring back Common Law. That’s the best Tv show ever!! If they don’t bring it back everyone will be so bummed :( So please come back please please please please please

Jennifer October 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I love this Show :) In Germany we can watch only 4 episodes :) Tomorrow comes the next episode :)
But this is a funny show ..Travis and Wes are so cute there are the perfect team .
I really hope it comes a season 2 and the show doesn’t get cancelled .
(Greetings from Gemany)

Kina October 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Love this show. There definitely should be a second season. It might not have been as big of a hit because new episodes aired on Fridays

Terri October 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Oh no!!!! I love this show!

bruce fisher October 17, 2012 at 5:16 pm

my favorite new show this year. please bring it back for a season 2

Lizzy Ray October 16, 2012 at 6:29 am

My sister and I have differents tastes when it comes to tv shows. Common Law was one of the few shows that we both agreed was fantastic! It had a little bit of everything. The perfect mix of drama and comedy. I love the delivery! The fact that we were kept waiting the whole season before we found out why Wes pulled a gun on Travis! It was great! And then that song at the end (by AWOLNATION) it was absolutly right! PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THE SHOW! GIVE IT A CHANCE TO REACH OTHERS WITH A SECOND SEASON! I PROMISE IT WILL MAKE IT!!!

Marsha B. October 14, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Do not cancel Common Law. It is a wonderful show and one that I look forward to seeing every week. It is very entertaining and funny!!

Laura October 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

Best show on USA network! It would be a shame for there to be no season 2.

Realistic Woman October 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I will be really disappointed if “Common Law” was cancelled. Cancel “White Collar” and keep “CL” which is entertaining and fun.

Sharon October 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Please do not cancel, I liked seeing them pay off each other.

Wila October 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm

My husband and I feel this was truly an entertaining show. We hope it returns for a season 2+. It’s a good show to come home and unwind to. We don’t understand though why if there are 7 days week, all the shows need to air at mutual times on the same day, leaving the rest of the week open with nothing to watch but reruns of whatever happens to be on. We also love Royal Pains and White Collar and are happy they are coming back.

Jamea October 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

I adore Common Law! I really wish that a season 2 would be in the near future. USA cannot let this series end. It is just too good of a series. Action, comedy, romance, drama and chemistry make thus series. Do not let it end. This amazing show is too much of gem.

Danielle October 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Common Law was AMAZING i watched it every week you would be stupid not to bring it back. If you decide to cancel it then you should also cancel shows like Royal Pains a nock off of House

Carol October 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm

The show was great. The writing fast-paced and actually funny… not the 6th grade-level funny either. Friday night is a hard night for a new show. Unfortunately USA lineup is not the best in the world so people also not only did not catch CL but also skipped most of the USA lineup. Royal Pains— really????