Common Law: Already Cancelled? No Season Two?

Common Law not coming back for season 2?It looks like Common Law won’t be back for a second season. While the TV show hasn’t been officially cancelled by USA, the signs are all there.

Common Law follows a pair of LAPD detectives — Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) and Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole). They bicker but their talents mesh so well that their commanding officer, Captain Sutton (Jack McGee), orders them into counseling to keep the team together. The series also features the talents of Sonya Walger, Elizabeth Chomko, Alicia Coppola, Nora Zehetner, and Reed Diamond.

The first season averaged 2.13 million with a 0.6 demo rating on Friday nights. It was the lowest-rated original scripted series on USA this summer, performing worse than Fairly Legal, the sophomore series that also aired on Fridays.

According to Deadline, Common Law’s fate seems all but sealed. The options for the entire cast have expired so those contracts would have to be renegotiated for a second season to happen — if the actors aren’t committed to other projects. In addition, the show’s executive producer and showrunner, Craig Sweeny, has been hired as an executive producer on CBS’ Elementary series — a new take on Sherlock Holmes.

What do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Common Law? Why do you think the show didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

nofridays January 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm

This show is great amd may not pull in as many viewers as possible because it airs on fridays I usually have to watch it the next day on demand or hope for a repeat bring it back it will last

L A Shadz January 25, 2013 at 8:46 am

Come on! Dont cancel this show. it is soooooo good. We love Common Law. We need this show.

J. Kinsall January 16, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Please, please bring this series back. The actors worked so well together, the stories were crisp and sharp. It harkens back to Starsky & Hutch which I loved too. We need more shows of this caliber.

I would suggest a different night/time to get widest exposure. Hill Street Blues had to find it’s niche and once it did, it took off. I believe this would be true of Common Law.

sandra mack April 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm

don’t cancel the show just beef it up a little some.

donna pekarcik January 14, 2013 at 4:35 pm

me & hubby loved the show. we dvr ‘d it. I think it was a take on odd couple . I saw it as original and entertaining. As to why it didn’t take off, I thi nk it wasn’t advertised enough, it deserves second chance!

becky January 6, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I love this show and have been waiting for it to start again. now you say cancelled and want to know my thoughts on why it didn’t catch on. Who puts a good show on Friday night at 10pm. try putting it on thursday against elementary bet it will win. Very disappointed with you USA network

bunny January 6, 2013 at 4:37 pm

This show should not be cancelled! Apparently it was too entertaining – we loved it!

Sharon December 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I loved Common Law. I’ve been anxiously awaiting the new season and just now saw it may be canceled. Please don’t cancel the show! Wes and Travis play off each other’s character so well. It’s such a fun show. Please give it another try.

emily December 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm

please dont cancel the show..it was really funny and a great show

pecan December 20, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I like watching Common Law! The actors are great! They are very entertaining. Please do not cancel!!! Thanks.

michelle December 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Don’t cancel this show it’s great, I love this channel but if they keep getting ris of good shows thats it.

Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

PLEASE don’t cancel this show – it was very entertaining and a fresh idea.

Bruce December 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I love this show and I would love to see season 2.

Juanita December 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Please don’t cancel this show! My husband and I love it! We almost didn’t start watching it because we thought it was about 2 homosexuals. Once we found out that isn’t what it was, we watched it and loved it. The 2 actors play so well off each other!!

Inez December 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Please bring back Common Law , I don’t understand how you can get rid of the show after only one season. Try the the show on wendsdays nothing good is on on that day.

Kim December 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm

My husband and I love this show please don’t cancel it. They base stats off how many tvs tune in but they can’t monitor how many people are together at one time to watch it.