Common Law

Seasons: One

TV show dates: May 11, 2012 — August 10, 2012
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Warren Kole, Michael Ealy, Jack McGee, Sonya Walger

current TV show

TV show description:
This TV series revolves around two incredible — and incredibly different — police detectives. When things come to a head during their “seven-year itch” as partners, their captain forces them into couples therapy to save their “work marriage.”

Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) has a laidback demeanor and can seem nonchalant but is fiercely intelligent, has natural instincts and a maverick style that works. A product of street living and the foster system, Travis has the uncanny ability to read people. He’s also a ladies man who’s always got a date but has a hard time admitting his mistakes and making a commitment.

His partner, Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole), is intelligent, observant, obsessively methodical, and a man who keeps emotions bottled up inside. His perfectionist behavior sometimes rubs others on the LAPD the wrong way. Formerly an ace lawyer, Wes left that world after a client committed suicide. Now, he tries to keep his free-spirited partner in line and uses his legal acumen and affinity for facts to track down the bad guys. It’s good for the department but his marriage to his wife Alex didn’t survive because of his job.

Captain Sutton (Jack McGee) used to be the fire-breathing dragon of the LAPD homicide division, but years of therapy have made him a more understanding, open leader -– much to the chagrin of anyone who’s around when he feels like sharing.

Travis and Wes have a seven-year track record as the Los Angeles Police Department’s best detectives in the Robbery-Homicide Division. Because their constant bickering is interfering with their work and lands them on probation, Captain Sutton sends them to couples therapy with his own counselor.

A tough-as-nails therapist, Dr. Emma Ryan (Sonya Walger) tries to help Travis and Wes understand and resolve their conflicts and confront their demons in order to enhance their ability to work together solving crimes.
space

Series Finale

Episode #12 — Gun!
After being kicked out of Dr. Ryan’s group, Wes and Travis make a deal with their eccentric new therapist to get them out of counseling for good. But when a run-in with the members of the Special Investigations Section leads Travis to blow his top, the detectives realize that they don’t just need to go back to therapy — they need Dr. Ryan. Chastened, the duo offers to tell Dr. Ryan the story of how they ended up in counseling in the first place if she’ll take them back.

Flashback a few years. Officer Davis Paek, aka Pac-Man, introduces two detectives who would go on to distinguished careers in the Robbery Homicide Division: Wes Mitchell and Travis Marks. Hoping to return the favor, the detectives throw a couple of arrests their friend’s way and before long Pac-Man is being drafted by the SIS, a step up the ladder that would make any officer envious. But everything is not as it seems in the SIS, and when Pac-Man winds up dead, Wes and Travis start down the path that eventually leads to their meltdown.

Now, on the eve of Pac-Man’s birthday, Wes and Travis have a chance to bring his killers to justice — if they can first repair the damage from their own falling out. With a true breakthrough so close, Wes and Travis must confront the feelings that split them apart.
First aired: August 10, 2012

space

What do you think? Did you like Common Law? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled? How would you have ended the show?

Ten Alabama April 4, 2013 at 1:05 am

I was looking forward to te return of the show. Disappointed that it will not return. They should reconsider

S Ahmad Suhaimi April 3, 2013 at 4:27 am

I totally enjoyed Common Law and felt that it has loads of humour and action! The two main characters complemented each other very well! The network must be crazy to cancel the program! I hope they seriously decide to bring it back!

Tammy April 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I am very disappointed that the show is not returning for a second season. I really enjoyed watching it. It was funny, full of action and I loved the couples therapy. I was searching the Internet to see when it was returning and found out about the cancellation. I hope they reconsider and bring the show back.

Claudia April 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I loved the show.I am very disappointed I was waiting for the show to return.Will another network pick up the show?I hope viewer can change their mind

Paula B. March 31, 2013 at 1:41 am

I am greatly disappointed that this show has been canceled. I was so looking forward to the renewed season. I cannot believe some of the crap that’s still on TV and this gets canceled. Unbelievable!

KJ March 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I was surprised that the show was cancelled. I thought it was well received and unlike Fairly Legal it didn’t rely solely on the stars being attractive. I understand why that show was cancelled although they did a disservice to the actress and insulted the viewers intelligence to bank on the fact that she was cute to carry the show. That just became annoying and not at all entertaining which is why we tune in to TV. Common Law on the other hand had a good premise, decent writing, and the stars seemed to enjoy what they were doing and if not kudos to them for being great actors. The fact that they were easy on the eyes was just a bonus. McGee and Walger were the perfect compliment to the millennial pair and balanced the cast nicely. Bad decision to cancel this series.

Regina DeBow March 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I am sorry to read that Common Law was canceled. I think they were two of the best detectives on TV.

Danielle Whitman March 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Angry & hurt!!! Hubby and I loved the chemistry that Wes and Travis had. The idea of couples was great. Please can another network pick it up!! I’ having withdrawals!!

jenny March 21, 2013 at 8:37 pm

why would yall do such a thing? best show ever been waiting for premier and jus found out not gonna be one… wth? : (

Rebecca Parsons March 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm

My husband and I loved this show! Really disappointed its not returning!

lin March 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm

you had a great show and now it’s cancelled…you have to bring it back, it’s a great menu for success..really, please bring it back!

Sharon Weaver March 12, 2013 at 1:55 am

We finally get a show that my hubby and I both like and boom , there it goes..Any more we say we dislike shows that we want kept on..Seems as if we say that we like it, it goes away for more t&a..PLEASE BRING IT BACK.

Me...S.B.G March 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I, like many others, was anticipated the return of Common Law…it’s not to many shows out today that has te chemistry that these two guys have on screen…I can’t imagine the ratings not being anything but good and supportive of a return Season….

Bring the Boys in Therapy back!!! There are stil issues I’m sure they need to work out.

Beverly Smith March 11, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I can not you would have the poor judgment to cancel this show.
Everyone that I know just loved it and looked forward to it.
The chemistry between the two detectives was pure delight –
what a loss. Get rid of some of those insane reality shows.
Boo for you !!!!

Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I loved this show. Couldn’t wait for it to come back on. Very disappointed.