Common Law

Seasons: One

TV show dates: May 11, 2012 – August 10, 2012
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Warren Kole, Michael Ealy, Jack McGee, Sonya Walger

current TV show

TV show description:
This TV series revolves around two incredible — and incredibly different — police detectives. When things come to a head during their “seven-year itch” as partners, their captain forces them into couples therapy to save their “work marriage.”

Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) has a laidback demeanor and can seem nonchalant but is fiercely intelligent, has natural instincts and a maverick style that works. A product of street living and the foster system, Travis has the uncanny ability to read people. He’s also a ladies man who’s always got a date but has a hard time admitting his mistakes and making a commitment.

His partner, Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole), is intelligent, observant, obsessively methodical, and a man who keeps emotions bottled up inside. His perfectionist behavior sometimes rubs others on the LAPD the wrong way. Formerly an ace lawyer, Wes left that world after a client committed suicide. Now, he tries to keep his free-spirited partner in line and uses his legal acumen and affinity for facts to track down the bad guys. It’s good for the department but his marriage to his wife Alex didn’t survive because of his job.

Captain Sutton (Jack McGee) used to be the fire-breathing dragon of the LAPD homicide division, but years of therapy have made him a more understanding, open leader -– much to the chagrin of anyone who’s around when he feels like sharing.

Travis and Wes have a seven-year track record as the Los Angeles Police Department’s best detectives in the Robbery-Homicide Division. Because their constant bickering is interfering with their work and lands them on probation, Captain Sutton sends them to couples therapy with his own counselor.

A tough-as-nails therapist, Dr. Emma Ryan (Sonya Walger) tries to help Travis and Wes understand and resolve their conflicts and confront their demons in order to enhance their ability to work together solving crimes.
space

Series Finale

Episode #12 — Gun!
After being kicked out of Dr. Ryan’s group, Wes and Travis make a deal with their eccentric new therapist to get them out of counseling for good. But when a run-in with the members of the Special Investigations Section leads Travis to blow his top, the detectives realize that they don’t just need to go back to therapy — they need Dr. Ryan. Chastened, the duo offers to tell Dr. Ryan the story of how they ended up in counseling in the first place if she’ll take them back.

Flashback a few years. Officer Davis Paek, aka Pac-Man, introduces two detectives who would go on to distinguished careers in the Robbery Homicide Division: Wes Mitchell and Travis Marks. Hoping to return the favor, the detectives throw a couple of arrests their friend’s way and before long Pac-Man is being drafted by the SIS, a step up the ladder that would make any officer envious. But everything is not as it seems in the SIS, and when Pac-Man winds up dead, Wes and Travis start down the path that eventually leads to their meltdown.

Now, on the eve of Pac-Man’s birthday, Wes and Travis have a chance to bring his killers to justice — if they can first repair the damage from their own falling out. With a true breakthrough so close, Wes and Travis must confront the feelings that split them apart.
First aired: August 10, 2012

space

What do you think? Did you like Common Law? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled? How would you have ended the show?

Karen Sharp May 2, 2013 at 10:08 pm

We really need a better way to make the executives understand that we are tired of the “reality” shows! I enjoyed this program. My Mom was the one who told me about it. Even my teenage son enjoyed this show. Please give it another chance!!!!!!!

Nunee May 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I absolutely loved this show. Can’t believe they cancelled it. I think the plot was original. It was funny but solved serious cases at the same time. Oh and the two leading men were very nice to look at. Would love it if this show came back on, most of the cop show are too much alike. And were do they get these ratings? I would like to know.

Yashica April 30, 2013 at 1:08 am

R U FREAKN SERIOUS!!!!! Who makes these decisions to cancel? I stayed home on Friday nights JUST to watch!!!! This Sucks Asssss!!!!

franny miller April 29, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I loved this show BRING IT BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harriette April 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

Why do they cancel the good shows, u keep asking for different and when u get different and good u dump it. Maybe the new different and good should be tv exec with guts. Now u know why I rarely watch TV!!

KR April 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

lOVED THIS SHOW

Dee April 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This was a really fun show–both my husband and I enjoyed it! Please bring it back and take out at least half the crap that keeps getting renewed!!!!

Camille April 18, 2013 at 2:45 am

Is there any chance this show will be picked up again? Maybe by a new network? This is/was one of the better shows on TV

Donna April 17, 2013 at 1:14 am

Bring back Common law. It was a good show.

T JOHNSON April 14, 2013 at 9:21 pm

DEAR USA
CANT UNDERSTAND YOUR NETWORK CANCELLING COMMON LAW.. GREAT SHOW MY HUSBAND & I REALLY ENJOYED IT. GOOD SHOWS LIKE THIS GET CANCELLED & OTHER STUPID SHOWS CONTINUALLY GET RENEWED. SOMEBODY AT USA NEEDS TO CLEAN HOUSE & HIRE PEOPLE THAT KNOW GOOD SHOWS AND WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTS.. I HOPE USE RE=THINKS THIS DECISION WHEN THEY SEE HOW MANY VIEWERS THEY ARE LOSING DUE TO STUPID DECISIONS. THIS IS ONE HOUSEHOLD THAT WONT BE WATCHING USA AGAIN……

Sharron Beck April 14, 2013 at 12:39 am

BRING THE SHOW BACK ON, WE HAVE ENOUGH REALITY SHOWS ON TV, CAN THE ADULT WORLD SEE SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE CARBASHING FAMILY, HONEY WHO, WHO, AND ALL THE REST, PLEASE! BRING THE SHOW BACK ON.

Nancy April 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm

One of my favorite shows andyou go and cancel it. It has humor,crime, love,what else would you want? Bring common law back.

Selma Markel April 13, 2013 at 1:04 am

I really like Common Law. Every time a good show comes on, it gets cancelled.

Ang April 8, 2013 at 12:42 am

I cannot believe they cancelled this show. Honestly, can these networks RELAX and give a show a chance!?!?!?!?! I find it amaaaaazing that they cancel a show for “low ratings” yet when it IS cancelled you find that many people loved and watched the show. Its like the networks could really give a “s” what their viewers really like….because I surely am not interesting in crap shows like “oh I got preggers and I am 12″ or “I was the niece of a cousin of some mobster” I WANT MY SHOWS! Grrrrrrrrrr. Okay I am done.

tracey April 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I was looking forward for a second season of Common Law, I enjoyed the way the actors inter act with each other.