Common Law

Seasons: One

TV show dates: May 11, 2012 – August 10, 2012
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Warren Kole, Michael Ealy, Jack McGee, Sonya Walger

current TV show

TV show description:
This TV series revolves around two incredible — and incredibly different — police detectives. When things come to a head during their “seven-year itch” as partners, their captain forces them into couples therapy to save their “work marriage.”

Travis Marks (Michael Ealy) has a laidback demeanor and can seem nonchalant but is fiercely intelligent, has natural instincts and a maverick style that works. A product of street living and the foster system, Travis has the uncanny ability to read people. He’s also a ladies man who’s always got a date but has a hard time admitting his mistakes and making a commitment.

His partner, Wes Mitchell (Warren Kole), is intelligent, observant, obsessively methodical, and a man who keeps emotions bottled up inside. His perfectionist behavior sometimes rubs others on the LAPD the wrong way. Formerly an ace lawyer, Wes left that world after a client committed suicide. Now, he tries to keep his free-spirited partner in line and uses his legal acumen and affinity for facts to track down the bad guys. It’s good for the department but his marriage to his wife Alex didn’t survive because of his job.

Captain Sutton (Jack McGee) used to be the fire-breathing dragon of the LAPD homicide division, but years of therapy have made him a more understanding, open leader -– much to the chagrin of anyone who’s around when he feels like sharing.

Travis and Wes have a seven-year track record as the Los Angeles Police Department’s best detectives in the Robbery-Homicide Division. Because their constant bickering is interfering with their work and lands them on probation, Captain Sutton sends them to couples therapy with his own counselor.

A tough-as-nails therapist, Dr. Emma Ryan (Sonya Walger) tries to help Travis and Wes understand and resolve their conflicts and confront their demons in order to enhance their ability to work together solving crimes.
space

Series Finale

Episode #12 — Gun!
After being kicked out of Dr. Ryan’s group, Wes and Travis make a deal with their eccentric new therapist to get them out of counseling for good. But when a run-in with the members of the Special Investigations Section leads Travis to blow his top, the detectives realize that they don’t just need to go back to therapy — they need Dr. Ryan. Chastened, the duo offers to tell Dr. Ryan the story of how they ended up in counseling in the first place if she’ll take them back.

Flashback a few years. Officer Davis Paek, aka Pac-Man, introduces two detectives who would go on to distinguished careers in the Robbery Homicide Division: Wes Mitchell and Travis Marks. Hoping to return the favor, the detectives throw a couple of arrests their friend’s way and before long Pac-Man is being drafted by the SIS, a step up the ladder that would make any officer envious. But everything is not as it seems in the SIS, and when Pac-Man winds up dead, Wes and Travis start down the path that eventually leads to their meltdown.

Now, on the eve of Pac-Man’s birthday, Wes and Travis have a chance to bring his killers to justice — if they can first repair the damage from their own falling out. With a true breakthrough so close, Wes and Travis must confront the feelings that split them apart.
First aired: August 10, 2012

space

What do you think? Did you like Common Law? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled? How would you have ended the show?

SandraB August 7, 2013 at 9:37 am

Bring it back Please. Good story line mixed with humor. We need more shoes like this one.

Louise July 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Plzzzzzzzz bring. It. Back. Love this SHOW.

Mona July 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Absolutely loved this show, kept waiting to see when it was coming back on so I started doing a search and found out it was cancelled. That is really to bad, was a cute show to watch.

msjchuck July 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

this was a great show-I agree with others the good shows get canceled but the junk just keeps on coming

RANDY July 9, 2013 at 12:06 am

I THOUGHT THE SHOW WAS GREAT,WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT COME BACK.TRUTH IS YOU REALLY LIKE IT AND THEY END IT, WELL ANOTHER NETWORK WILL MAKE AGREAT NEW SHOW AND WE WILL LOVE IT,AND WILL THEN WATCH THAT NETWORK.

Dana July 6, 2013 at 3:21 am

It is so so disgusting how these people get paid an obscene amount to make decisions in the entertainment world that let so many of us down. I can’t understand what these people are thinking!! Show after show, they keep canceling…after the viewers have invested their time connecting to the characters and story line. It’s such a major bummer! And to those people who’d respond to this with “get a life..it’s just TV,” for me, TV is a big part of my life. I’m disabled, bed ridden 50% of the time and suffer from severe PTSD. No worries though, it’s all ok…my point is that good Television is a distraction for me, a way for me to give my incessant pain some relief. It’s wonderful to laugh, and to be on the edge of my seat during a great mystery or drama. It’s really difficult for me to keep dealing with all of the networks fickle decisions. If there is a great show, let it stay, please?!?!?! Reality TV is so overrated! The only exception is Duck Dynasty! Common law was fantastic, it’s so sad that they got cut! Hopefully it will get figured out soon…change the way ratings are measured. People rarely watch live TV these days! It’s all about DVR now, which effects ratings. People are busy, they watch their favorites when they’re free to do so. But, WE’RE STILL WATCHING!! Thanks for having a spot for me to vent ;-)….whether this is read by anyone, or not, it’s cool that I was able to get my opinion on the matter out! Thx!

L Franklin July 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm

My whole family loved this show! One of the few shows we all agreed on & watched together. Very disappointed to see it cancelled.

vicky kirk June 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm

bring it back!!

Nina June 27, 2013 at 10:35 am

This was my favorite show :(

DONNA AMBROSINO June 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm

WHY DO NETWORKS CONTINUE TO CANCEL GOOD SHOWS ON TV AND KEEP THE CRAPPY ONES, ESPICALLY ALL OF THOSE REALITY SHOWS. STUPID STUPID PEOPLE OUT THERE WATCHING THAT JUNK.
\
THIS SHOW WAS GREAT BRING IT BACK.

Karnold June 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Definitely the lead actors had great chemistry. Really enjoyed the show. I kind of like that you got to see in season 1 the conflict that started it all. But I think the show could have at LEAST two more really good seasons. Was sorry to hear that it was cancelled.

Sick at heart June 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I am so upset I just knew this show would be coming back. PLease bring it back

Paulette June 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

BRING IT BACK, BRING IT BACK. We need something different and this was it. Loved it.

Louise June 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Hi. Wish. You guys. Would. Give. A. Chance. For. A. Show. To. Work. Out. I. Liked. This. Show

dedra June 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I totally agree with all of you what can we do to get this show back on the air? we have all of these stupid shows staying on air and all good shows are ending. common law was great and I would love to see it back on the air how can I help