Copper: Cancelled, No Third Season for BBC America Series

Copper canceled by BBC AmericaIt’s the end of the road for Copper on BBC America. The cable channel has announced that the show has been cancelled after two seasons. The cancellation comes following the show’s modest ratings.

In a statement, BBC America GM Perry Simon said, “The opportunity to work with Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Will Rokos, Thomas Kelly and the extraordinary cast and crew on this journey is one that we are extremely proud of.”

He continued, “Their vision to retell the immigrant experience through the melting pot of New York City was an original and fresh idea that melded well with the essence of BBC America’s programming. After 23 episodes, with Lincoln dead and the nation starting to heal, it seems a fitting moment to conclude this American story.”

The de facto series finale will air this Sunday. It’s called “The Place I Called My Home.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear there won’t be a third season of Copper? How would you have ended the series?

The Bluelady September 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm

No!!!! No!!!! my goodness: the program is so good. Please reconsider this decision.

Alex Sanders September 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Unfortunately, good shows like this are quickly becoming a thing of the past. This is due in part to how tv ratings work and the target age groups advertisers want. The most sought after group is after instant gratification and have no time for actual story development. These are the same people who mainly watch reality tv on portable devices. That’s exactly why a program like this gets cancelled and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo gets renewed.

Georgia September 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

My husband and I really enjoy this show. Not happy that it’s been cancelled. Why do all the good shows get cancelled? Oh, I know…it’s not a reality show and it has a plot.

Beverley Albright September 20, 2013 at 10:32 am

I totally agree with all of the other folks! Copper is one of the best written shows on television. How can stupid sit coms stay on while this show is leaving! Usually the BBC keeps a winner like this. Please go to other websites like change.org and sign the petition to keep it on if you are really serious. I was and am. Please help us keep Corky and the guys.

Noel September 20, 2013 at 2:58 am

Oh No!
This is one of the best, historically significant, shows on the air. I know a show is unusually good, when it inspires me to search for more information pertaining to that time period. I was already looking forward to the third season! There are several great shows on Sunday night, so I understand the competition is tough. However, with proper marketing and maybe a change the day/time, there might be hope for it, from a economic standpoint.
I am very disappointed to hear this news. I will sign the petition, and hope for the best.

DeAnna Morton September 20, 2013 at 8:20 am

Amen Noel!

Andie September 19, 2013 at 8:32 pm

So dissappointed. Loved this show. DON’T CANCEL!

Barbara Mosher Finger September 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm

HEY — This is a good show – let’s bring it back NOW!!!

Christine Powell September 19, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Mellie1951 September 19, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Such a shame, I loved this show!

Cary September 19, 2013 at 6:32 pm

This show was great. It should of ran for 5 years.

Suzanne sexton September 19, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Very disappointed that BBCAmerica cancelled this show. Given time to build the story lines it could have been a fantastic show. My Sunday nights will have a big hole now…

Niki September 19, 2013 at 6:14 pm

A really great show. I hate to see it end. :-(

DeAnna Morton September 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I love this show in many ways. I love the darkness and depth of layers in each character. I am hoping there is a way to continue from a different avenue. This was so different and interesting it made my week with each episode. Please support the cause. Thank you very much. DeAnna

Pip September 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

A pity. This was an excellent show and well acted. It showed life back then like it was. I will miss it.

Bob R September 19, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Am not surprised it was cancelled. When I watched the first year the scenes were really dark and the sets were really small and sometimes the dialogues were not as clear as they should have been. So one year was enough for me.