Copper: Cancelled, No Third Season for BBC America Series

Copper canceled by BBC AmericaIt’s the end of the road for Copper on BBC America. The cable channel has announced that the show has been cancelled after two seasons. The cancellation comes following the show’s modest ratings.

In a statement, BBC America GM Perry Simon said, “The opportunity to work with Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Will Rokos, Thomas Kelly and the extraordinary cast and crew on this journey is one that we are extremely proud of.”

He continued, “Their vision to retell the immigrant experience through the melting pot of New York City was an original and fresh idea that melded well with the essence of BBC America’s programming. After 23 episodes, with Lincoln dead and the nation starting to heal, it seems a fitting moment to conclude this American story.”

The de facto series finale will air this Sunday. It’s called “The Place I Called My Home.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear there won’t be a third season of Copper? How would you have ended the series?

260 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Robert Shay says

I have to agree with the many other Copper fans. Why do networks cancel these great shows and leave the junk. Hopefully another network that knows how to advertise and attract a following like History, A&E, USA or TNT will pick up this show and add more quality to their line-up. It will not be one of the broadcast networks, they are clueless.

2. John D says

What is it with these networks, they keep coming up with GREAT shows, only to cancel them way too quickly. Ok, it may have not appealed to everyone, but I, like so many others found it intriguing, and reflective as it gave us a look at what legal immigrants had to endure. Coming from Brooklyn myself, it really gave me a picture of what my ancestors had to deal with. I loved the show, and I feel the same as a lot of you, I hope that there will be another network out there who will see the value in the show and bring it back. Very shocked at BBC America, but then again, maybe it’s that America part that has its blinders on.

Great show. Hope it is picked up and continued.

John D

3. cindy s says

my husband and myself found this show to late but loved what we were able to see, shame on BBC to cancel, if you bring the show back you do have 2 fans in TX.

• says

BBC made a big mistake by cancelling Copper it was one of the “Best Shows” on the network. Maybe some other Network will pick it up. The show had a great story line, good cast, good Art Direction and really great period clothing. I think BBC chased away a lot of their Yankee audience…………………….It was a great historic period piece..

4. W.F. "Bill" Pakinkis says

Copper was one of the best shows on TV, it had a great cast, they were history oriented & period correct. The Art Direction was great and it had a dynamic story line. Sometimes I wonder what is on the mind of these Network Executives, they do not care about the viewer, only themselves………………….

BRING BACK “COPPER”
    Maybe another “Smart Network” will pick it up…………………………

5. Nomi Herbstman says

Where do I begin. “Copper” is an experience of the real world, no matter what the century. All the beauty, all the pain and all the experiences any human being could have.
    It is often thought that some shows on television to are almost too “good to succeed”.
    But “Copper” had an audience which was growing. The creators, writers, actors and producers did NOT drop the ball the second season. This show was in its infancy and should have been fostered and nourished by the networks. My goal is that it find a new home where it is welcome and will reside for many more seasons. Please join our campaign; go find our Facebook pages and join our “#savecoppertv” tweetfests every Sunday night.
    Here are an assortment of video testimonials from Copper fans determined to save our beloved “Copper”.

6. says

It is disrespectful to leave the fans in the lurch with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. If you end the series, at least give us a decent ending!

7. says

Copper is an amazing show and we, the fans are not giving up on the show at all. We want to see the cast and crew back at Five Points..we will not be happy till we see that the show gets a proper ending..but we still want a season three. The acting, the writing, the costumes and the music meshed into one amazing show that deserves a second chance! I would not have ended the series..there is too much more to tell.

8. lainie k says

Not sure why my comments keep getting deleted. All I am trying to do is let fans of Copper know that we are working on trying to Bring Back Copper via a Facebook page – why do you keep deleting my comments to these fans? Don’t you want us to succeed. Don’t these fans deserve to know there is an organized campaign, backed by Tom Fontana and Glen Salzman, to Bring Back Copper on another network or as a movie?

• says

I don’t mind your occasionally posting information about your campaigns to bring back the show. I think it’s excessive however when you reply to every comment with the same copy and pasted information. That feels like spam.

• lainie k says

sorry – was not my intent- I know that I get an email if someone relies to my post, so I was trying to reach each individual poster who stated they were upset about the cancellation. I thought that they may not return to the page necessarily on their own, but would see they reply in their inbox and return. I apologize if this came off as spam, when it is just my attempt to reach our target fanbase and let them know there is still hope and that we have an organized group working with TPTB to bring back the show they care so much about.

• Anonymous says

2/12/14

To the administrator of this site.

I did just reply to a number of comments here with information about our campaign to save Copper.
        I tried to make the replies as individualized as I could.

As you can see that I read each comment and responded directly to them prior to sharing our campaign address.

Reading each comment does show me that I am not alone in my deep appreciation for the creators , cast & writers & historians of Copper and that slowly but surely more people will understand that the show was not renewed . Because most people expect Copper to be back this summer.

We also realize this is a long term goal with many legal / logistical issues and the work of finding another network, etc and then waiting until the cast & writers will all be available simultaneously. The goal is a “Quixotic endeavor” as Tom Fontana described it in his response to us but it is an efforts we are proud to be a part of.

Only the last sentence and the address was copied & pasted, I hope that is okay.

We are trying to save the show. Yet we do understand your concerns about spamming , that is why I have read every comment through and tried to individualize the responses

Nomi , (events coordinator of Bring Back Copper)

• Nancy Herb says

You Rock Nomi!!! How could anyone get anything done on the Bring Back Copper campaign without you? You’re a one woman army, tilting at windmills, and knocking down obstacles as you go. No one does as much for this campaign as you. You go missy! This is clearly your passion parade doll! Everyone follow Nomi to the Bring Back Copper page and follow her lead.

9. Brenda says

My husband & I loved this show and didn’t get to view the last two episodes. Sorry they have chosen to cancel it. One of the best shows. Are they going to be seen on Bravo in the southern Ontario area?

• lainie k says

Showcase CA was showing Copper before it was abruptly cancelled. We are now trying to Bring Back Copper via a Facebook campaign. We are writing networks and studios telling them about the built in audience that will come to their network by picking up Copper. Please check out our page and join our letter writing and twitter campaign.

10. Karen Sangl says

I’m still heartbroken about this. I was hoping that another network would pick this provocative series up, but that doesn’t seem likely. Such a shame.

• lainie k says

it still may be likely- not sure if you saw my other post- since it was deleted- but there is a Bring Back Copper campaign on Facebook to write networks and tell them about our interest to have Copper continue on tv. Tom Fontana has also stated that he is looking for a new home for Copper. So, hope is still alive. Please join our campaign.

11. says

My husband and I love this show! We’re sad to see its cancelled. The acting was superb, the setting believable, the cultures intriguing.

12. Arnold Jeanetti says

Very sorry to see this show end. A lot of loose ends to be tied. Great show but I guwss the ratings dictate whether a show is successful or not. Too bad

• nancy f says

There is more than just rumors of a movie now. There is world in the industry that some of the stage hands have been told to get ready for the Copper Movie to be made. They need to tie up the lose ends left at the end of the finale at least. Maybe after that we will get the interest of other networks or Netflix and this series will go on again.

• lainie k says

there are a lot of lose ends still to tie up and Tom Fontana intended for there to be a 3rd season and more to tell the rest of the story. please join our Bring Back Copper campaign on Facebook, where we are working with his blessing and support to try and find Copper a new home.