Copper: Cancelled Show May Return as a Movie

Copper canceled TV show movieCopper has been cancelled but Sunday’s series finale may not be the end for the characters. Deadline reports that executive producers Barry Levinson, Tom Kelly and Tom Fontana (also the co-creator) are considering a movie version.

Fontana has apparently worked out an extensive story arc for season three and may rework that into a movie script. It would supposedly look at life in America following Lincoln’s assasination and the Reconstruction years that followed.

Will Rokos and Fontana created Copper which premiered in August 2012 to 1.1 million viewers. That was a record-setting audience for BBC America and the period drama was renewed in October. Unfortunately, the numbers weren’t as strong in season two so the show was cancelled.

What do you think? Would you like to see a Copper movie? Do you think it will actually happen?

saundra October 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I really enjoy copper I watch it every sunday, I wish you could bring it back! Why did you have to end it? the actors where really good.I look forward to sundays to witch it I even had my DVR to record it so that I would not miss it. please bring it back I no the writers can come up with something. Like the tv show that I like too, Hell On Wheels another western back in the 1800s, So whats up with that? Bring it back please….. thank you

SteveCO September 30, 2013 at 1:37 am

Great work, BBC America. Ignored you after the Brit version of Whose Line was cancelled, retried you when the fantastic Copper came out, watched YOU kill it with unexplained schedule changes and other bumbling corporate goon control idiocy.

Great job, idjits. See ya.

cindy September 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL Copper!!! One of the only great shows onTV!! Why would BBC America cancel such a good program? PLEASE PLEASE reconsider!!

marci j green September 28, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Bring Copper back, such a fine show should not have ended as it did, with so much left unfinished. It shouldn’t have been cancelled at all…BRING COPPER BACK BBC AMERICA, I am so disappointed with BBC America for thinking Copper fans would not be up in arms over this.

dp September 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm

shame on BBC for cancelling such a good show. There is history , romance, intrigue, everything is going on. I will not be bothering with anymore shows on BBC . Bring Copper back.

Sandra Tate September 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I love history, great acting, great storytelling and great TV – Copper gave me all that and some. And now it’s being cancelled. I expect BBC to be at least a few steps above Network television in understanding that quality warrants commitment.

If you follow through on killing this outstanding front row seat of history, seasoned with excitement – please give it a proper burial

Thanks for reading

Sandy Tate

lainie kantrowitz September 28, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Copper is already cancelled. They ended it with a horrific cliffhanger, because even the writers didn’t know there wasn’t going to be a season 3. BBC committed an injustice on its viewers.

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Save Copper Facebook page

Save Copper TV Tumblr

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition.

Our goal is to find another network to take on Copper or to help Tom Fontana see his movie made to wrap up what was to be Season 3.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late.

jane hutter September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

My husband and I enjoyed Copper and were saddened to learn that its been cancelled. Shame on BBC….The show provide quality TV…not the kind of junk TV we are used to. Please reconsider renewing Copper for another season. I cannot envision next year without it. You are a foolish bunch if don’t bring it back. We never watched BBC before Copper and won’t watch it without Copper.

Art September 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Fantastic show!!! What are they thinking by cancelling it. They will not be able to replace it with anything that will draw as well.

penny A September 26, 2013 at 6:56 am

Why do the idiots cancel all the good shows & leave us to watch all the reality show bullcrap. Copper had a good story line going ,this was an intersting time in American history . It shaped New York politics to what they are to day.

Anonymous September 25, 2013 at 4:33 am

I’d like to see a movie as long as a high majority of the cast is back.

Bill Geyer September 24, 2013 at 12:30 am

Copper is a fantastic show, and it saddens me to find out about it’s cancellation. There are far too few programs of this quality: well written, good character development, action, humor, and sadness. I will miss it, and will be looking for a way to express my displeasure to BBC America.

Carol September 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

We watched every episode. There was so much left unfinished. I don’t know if I’ll ever invest myself in another show other than the Food Network after this.

Amanda September 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I am so sick of the obsession with “reality” show, it was nice to have a show that required brain cells to watch, my husband and I would have conversations about it for days sometimes just trying to figure out the “why did he do this” and I bet the writers did this because of that….its so pathetic that we are more intrigued by watching some fat cow and her inbred children or some idiots who didn’t want to pay for their car but expected to keep it. Gawd next you will tell me that boardwalk empire or orphan black has been cancelled

Gordy September 23, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Copper was a fantastic series, I can’t believe it’s been cancelled. The story was not done! With all the crap on TV. They cancel the good one!

Theresa S-L September 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I am so DISAPPOINTED Copper was cancelled. I never missed an episode. There are so many unfinished sub-plots. I found the series to be extremely thought provoking. Come on fans lets think of a way to send the message, “Bring Copper Back”, please.

lainie kantrowitz September 29, 2013 at 7:27 am

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Save Copper Facebook page

Save Copper TV Tumblr

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition. We are wrting Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Cineflix and anyone associated with Copper to let them know they have the fans support in either bringing back show on another network or a movie.