Copper: Cancelled Show May Return as a Movie

Copper canceled TV show movieCopper has been cancelled but Sunday’s series finale may not be the end for the characters. Deadline reports that executive producers Barry Levinson, Tom Kelly and Tom Fontana (also the co-creator) are considering a movie version.

Fontana has apparently worked out an extensive story arc for season three and may rework that into a movie script. It would supposedly look at life in America following Lincoln’s assasination and the Reconstruction years that followed.

Will Rokos and Fontana created Copper which premiered in August 2012 to 1.1 million viewers. That was a record-setting audience for BBC America and the period drama was renewed in October. Unfortunately, the numbers weren’t as strong in season two so the show was cancelled.

What do you think? Would you like to see a Copper movie? Do you think it will actually happen?

Cathy January 9, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Yes, make a movie!!! This was such a great show with really vivid characters. I’m so sorry to see it has been cancelled.

Chris S. January 8, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I would rather see Copper come back as a series. We looked forward to each episode. The costuming and historical accuracy was great. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!

khopem January 5, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I want Copper back! BBC has my attention! Don’t leave me hanging!

vicki January 5, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I’d love to see the history of post Lincoln years be broadcasts via Copper! BBC should bring it back to American audiences. If not, please make the movie. So disappointed in hearing it was cancelled. Anything better to replace it?? Can’t imagine what.

Beverly November 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Sorry, I do not agree with the sentiment of some posters here who are willing to ‘settle’ for a movie. I want nothing less than the continuation of the series by whatever means it takes. Television series like books don’t translate well in movies so I believe a Copper movie would be a huge disappointment. I prefer to continue to hope and advocate for another network picking up the series. Really, how difficult can it be for a network to decide to pick up a winner?

lainie k November 11, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hi Beverly,

Are you already involved in the Bring Back Copper Campaign on Facebook? We have written all the networks looking for one to pick up Copper. Tom Fontana is aware of this campaign and has also stated that they are looking for a network or another ‘home’ for Copper. If you haven’t already, please join our letter writing and twitter campaign.

barbara December 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I agree I want the series to continue. I loved the story book and characters

Helene Kirk October 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I just had to make a comment here about Copper. I am part of the Campaign to SAVE COPPER! I hardly watch any TV except for news but I happened to see an ad for Copper’s 1st Season & was caught buy the music & graphics & made a mental note to watch it. Well worth my time! This show came together in a perfect storm of writing, casting & acting! The only criticism I would have, if any, is that that incredibly talented young actress, who played Annie, was not utilized more in Season 2. However, I never bought the story about her living nicely w/another family! lol! She was way too complex for that & I expected more Annie in Season 3!
PLEASE join our SAVE COPPER Campaign on Face Book, Twitter & tumbler!

Anonymous October 13, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Yes! I had expected Annie to be a very important role, which she is, but need to see more on her early lifes’ trajectory! We want to see how she becomes an overcomer and more development within her relationship with Corky. We loved ALL the characters. Thank you Copper, we are behind your future.

Jennifer October 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm

One more note: having been in Corporate America for 40 years, when I see decisions like this–to simply destroy something in which BBC has invested a great deal–I know it’s bad management. I see penny-pinching all over the scripts and story lines of year 2, and then they complain of low ratings? You must invest in good writing to have good ratings.

Plan a solid story line. Plan phasing in and out of characters and plots. Don’t run a tv series by trial and error. It was obvious from the first that Annie was a mistake by the ratings; it simply wasn’t interesting enough, but they dragged it on and on. It was clear that the Morehouse failing relationship was boring. An example of a missed chance: when Elizabeth started going to the docks to smoke opium, there could have been an EXCELLENT show with her as a hostage for $, dramatic rescue, the works. But no, she was simply boring again.

I think the best show was the one about the counterfeit money–that was one good script and characters.

Obviously the show had a solid following; great sets; terrific acting; you name it. A formula for success, and BBC has now lost all its investment simply because it didn’t have creative, dramatic, punchy scripts. A poor way to run a business.

lainie kantrowitz October 13, 2013 at 8:23 am

Hi Jennifer- you clearly feel at outraged as we do by the shoddy way BBCA treated Copper in Season 2. There was minimal promotion once the show began. Most likely it is because they are losing money and decided to put all their eggs in Orphan Black’s basket.

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Bring Back Copper Facebook page

Save Copper Facebook page

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition.

Our goal is to find another network to take on Copper or to help Tom Fontana see his movie made to wrap up what was to be Season 3.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late

Jennifer October 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm

They simply didn’t have good writing for the 2nd year. That is perfectly correctable. The character of Annie was overdone; ho-hum on drug abuse; the “traitor” was not too bad, but they certainly didn’t have a good punch this year.

However, the show and its acting, setting, and directing, are splendid. It is simply foolish to cancel a show because you didn’t give it good scripts. You could have ratings soar if you would invest in better writing. Canceling is silly.

Betrayed By BBC October 10, 2013 at 12:02 am

How dare you BBC, copper is the best show in TV your network should get a grip no one in America cares about any if your other GARBAGE shows, and reconsider the huge mistake as s network u are making robbing copper of its fruition. BRING BACK COPPER!!!!!

lainie kantrowitz October 10, 2013 at 6:24 am

They ended Copper with a horrific cliffhanger, because even the writers didn’t know there wasn’t going to be a season 3. BBC committed an injustice on its viewers.

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Bring Back Copper Facebook page

Save Copper Facebook page

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late

lainie kantrowitz October 13, 2013 at 8:21 am

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Bring Back Copper Facebook page

Save Copper Facebook page

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late

Tim T October 7, 2013 at 11:29 am

Since you already have a script lined up, please use your collective clout to bring the series back.

lainie kantrowitz October 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi Tim- Copper is already cancelled. They ended it with a horrific cliffhanger, because even the writers didn’t know there wasn’t going to be a season 3. BBC committed an injustice on its viewers.

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Save Copper Facebook page

Save Copper TV Tumblr

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late

kirk Jay October 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Copper is the only reason I turn on my television. It needs to be kept on the air.

Mary October 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’d love to see a Copper movie that lets us know what happened. I enjoy a good mystery but not one without an ending.

CATHERINE A. BILL October 3, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU CANCELLED THE BEST SHOW ON TV…WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???? THE ONLY SHOW ALL OF US IN THE HOUSEHOLD AGREE ON. VERY DISAPPOINTED. PLEASE RECONSIDER!

Paula October 3, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’ll take COPPER in any format I can get. I’m addicted to the show and gladly beg BBC AMERICA to continue with the story of Corky & Company.

lainie kantrowitz October 5, 2013 at 9:32 pm

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Save Copper Facebook page

Save Copper TV Tumblr

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late.

Dianne M.Halifax,Canada October 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I only learned Monday night via the internet that Copper would not be returning.Here,Showcase has not finished airing all the episodes of season 2.Never once has there been any mention of only x number of shows until the Series Finale. At first I wasn’t going to write about how disappointed I am,but I think it is important that these networks know how much the fans disapprove of the decisions they have been making latley.Subscribers pay high fees every month to obtain these channels and have every right to let them know how we feel.2013 has been the worst year for these sudden cancellations,Borgias,Bomb Girls,Magic City,White Queen.I don’t know if a campaign or petition will make any difference.I am sure they are already making plans for its replacement.There seems to be an obsession with the reality programmes,and no channel wants to miss out on those potential viewers,who seem to be out there in vast numbers.I do hope the petition works,because Copper is truly one of the the most original programmes,really excellent.

lainiek October 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hi Diane.. that being said I really hope you join us anyway because we are trying to revive Copper another network. Was already reached at a time Fantana and glen salzman at cineflix to see if we could get it put on another network or see tom fontana’s movie being made. So please visit the Save Copper Facebook page as well as the bring back Copper Facebook page to see all the things that were doing to try to make sure the show gets another season.

lainie kantrowitz October 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm

sorry for all the spelling errors above. Typing on my phone is not always so easy. either way. Please come join us on the facebook save copper page. We really are working hard to revive the show.