Copper

Copper TV seriesNetwork: BBC America
Episodes: 23 (hour)
Seasons: Two

TV show dates: August 19, 2012 – September 22, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Tom Weston-Jones, Kyle Schmid, Ato Essandoh, Tessa Thompson, Kevin Ryan, Tanya Fischer, Dylan Taylor, Ron White, David Keeley, Franka Potente, Anastasia Griffith, and Kiara Glasco.

past TV show

TV show description:
This crime drama TV series is set in 1864 in New York City and is filled with intrigue, corruption, mystery and murder.

Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones) is an Irish-American former boxer who became a police detective. He returns from the Civil War to find that his wife is missing and his daughter is dead. Corcoran struggles to walk a straight line in New York City’s notoriously crooked Five Points neighborhood. Desperate to learn the truth about what happened to his family, he dedicates himself to seeking justice for the powerless and overlooked. He also finds himself thrust into the contrasting worlds of elegant and corrupt Fifth Avenue, and the emerging African-American community in Northern Manhattan.

Corcoran shares a secret from the battlefield with Robert Morehouse and Doctor Matthew Freeman that inextricably links their lives together. As he did in the Union Army, Corcoran proves intelligent, valiant and tenacious — stopping at nothing to bring those responsible to justice.

A handsome bon vivant and part of the Manhattan aristocracy, Robert Morehouse (Kyle Schmid) and Corcoran were mustered out of the 71st Regiment together. Though raised in a life of privilege, Morehouse was changed by the war and now sees the lower class as his equals — much to his father’s dismay. Spending more time drinking and cavorting with prostitutes than making a name for himself in the business world, Morehouse consistently falls short of his dad’s expectations.

An African-American physician, Doctor Matthew Freeman (Ato Essandoh) was Morehouse’s valet during the Civil War. When called upon, Freeman now assists Corcoran in murder investigations though receives no credit for his contribution. Freeman practices modern scientific methods of deduction, but precinct superiors believe this to be Corcoran’s work and he doesn’t tell them otherwise.

Freeman is devoted to his wife Sara (Tessa Thompson) whose two brothers were lynched during the Draft Riots. She’s left emotionally scarred, refuses to leave her house, and convinces her husband to leave Five Points in hopes of finding security in the African-American community of Carmansville in Northern Manhattan.

Detective Francis Maguire (Kevin Ryan) is Corcoran’s closest friend and his partner in the Sixth Precinct. Maguire assists Corcoran in his search for his missing wife, as well as in navigating the underground criminal world of Five Points. Though he cares deeply for those closest to him, Maguire possesses a quick temper and occasionally loses control. Enamored with Molly Stuart (Tanya Fischer), Maguire harbors a desire to settle down and marry the ambitious courtesan.

Flirtatious and beautiful, Molly works at at Eva’s Paradise and entertains several gentlemen from both Uptown and Five Points. Her big heart and free-spirited nature can embroil her in others’ affairs and, despite her taboo career choice, Molly possesses a deep sense of right and wrong.

Detective Andrew O’Brien (Dylan Taylor) is a colleague and companion to Corcoran and Maguire. Often teased about his acquiescence to his overbearing wife, he is fiercely loyal to his family and friends.

Captain of the Sixth Precinct, Ciaran Joseph Sullivan (Ron White) is more concerned about his reputation in the public eye than seeking justice for victims. Sullivan questions how the kingpins of New York society will be affected by the results of the tenacious Corcoran’s investigations.

Sergeant Padraic Byrnes (David Keeley) is a corrupt cop within the ranks of the Sixth Precinct and takes delight in thwarting Corcoran. He plays both sides of the law by manipulating Captain Sullivan as well as victims and criminals.

With a saloon and brothel located in the center of Five Points, Eva Heissen (Franka Potente), the Madame of Eva’s Paradise, is a shrewd businesswoman. A long list of patrons — including many coppers from the Sixth Precinct — help Eva maintain control over her employees with stern precision. Despite her tough-as-nails exterior, she shows her gentler side when she is with Corcoran — who finds comfort in Eva’s arms while his heart yearns for his missing wife.

Sophisticated, spirited and intoxicatingly beautiful, Elizabeth Haverford (Anastasia Griffith) is more than a mindless debutante. Far more business-savvy and politically astute than the other society ladies of Fifth Avenue, Elizabeth seeks to use her wealth and influence to improve the lives of others -– despite how it’s perceived by the rest of New York’s upper class. Though she meets Corcoran under horrific circumstances, Elizabeth enjoys his companionship and protection.

A young runaway who is growing up quickly, Annie Reilly (Kiara Glasco) is forced into prostitution to survive. After a memorable encounter with Corcoran, she becomes deeply attached as he endeavors to protect her from danger. Whip-smart with a predilection for mischief, Annie reminds Corcoran of his own daughter, and he goes out of his way to try to introduce her to a better life.
space

Series Finale

Episode #23 — “The Place I Called My Home”
In the wake of the President’s death, Detective Kevin Corcoran reels like the rest of the country. As Corcoran mourns with Robert Morehouse and Doctor Matthew Freeman, the three men decide to join a national effort once more. For the three friends, the mission elicits memories from the battlefield, resurfaces faces from the past, and creates opportunity for Five Points chaos to continue unabated.
First aired: September 22, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Copper TV series? Are you sorry that there won’t be a third season?

Jane October 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

If they were going to cancel it, they should have had a better finale. They could have got another couple season’s out of that show.

Mary October 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Too Bad, one of the best show’s on BBC

Joshua Giles October 3, 2013 at 2:07 am

Please consider another season of Copper!!! This show is so good it’s one of the best! Don’t put money into another crappy show when you’ve got a great one on your hands!

Jane October 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Part of the silent majority speaks: My husband and I are so disappointed to hear that there will be no season 3 of Copper. The show was interesting, fast-paced, and rendered the past in an entertaining,yet more historically correct than the genre usually seen on TV. I do hope these comments are passed on to BBC and that the cancellation will be reconsidered.

Anonymous October 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Hope they change their minds about ending this show, I wonder if we could complain to BBC

eileen October 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm

are you serious! cancelling Copper is the most idiotic thing I have heard of lately! It’ s a great show and I can’t believe BBC America is casting it aside. I love Copper and Ripper Street, I guess Ripper will go by the wayside also. After all we can’t have anything intelligent on TV! Copper was one of the few shows that I was eager to record and watch. We’re not all interested in stupid reality tv like Survivor and the Kardashians. Bring it back PLEASE!

Lee G. October 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I was devastated when I heard this show was cancelled…it’s my favorite show, please bring it back! Save Copper!!

Lynn Pace September 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm

WOW, I can’t believe they’ve cancelled this show! I love period pieces with real history thrown in (does anyone remember Deadwood???). I don’t understand why REAL entertainment is being lost and crap like Honey Boo-Boo seems to hang on…GOD, I just don’t understand…

C. Taylor September 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I am upset they cancelled this show. It was the only one my husband and I really looked forward to watching every week. Great show. Should be more like it and certainly should have future seasons. What are they thinking????

Karen Messer September 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I read that Copper was the highest rated BBC new show recently. I looked forward to it every week! There are so many more stories that can come from this show! Heck, I could write a few myself. Kevin can run 5 points and Eva and the baby and oh, there is so much more to do.
I am very disappointed! I was unique and so refreshing.

Karen Messer

V Gardner September 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I really hate that this show is cancelled. It was one of the best shows on TV. Just goes to show that if something makes people think and if it is great quality the networks want nothing to do with it. Maybe the ratings weren’t through the roof but it was awesome TV and deserved to be renewed. TV networks seem to cater to those who can’t appreciate fine and classy entertainment.

Sue Ash September 30, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I cannot believe that Copper was cancelled. A historically based program with great acting and drama, why this was not given at least a 3rd season to sort out all the story lines is beyond me.

Sandra Phillips September 30, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I am very disappointed in the cancellation of Copper. There are so few shows that have substance and great acting and story. It seems that the networks are showing way too many reality show (not true reality) and stupid immature comedies. I hope that they rethink their decision to cancel this show or if not I hope that an another channel picks it up.

Flowergirl September 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Please bring this show back. It was one of the few shows that I looked forward to every week.

Berta Briones September 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

My husband and I were out of town and failed to rcord the Sept. 22, 2013 episode, and now we learn that the show has been canceled. We loved that series, what a bummer. It was a great show and had a great cast. Hope they will bring it back and soon.

Anonymous September 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I just started watching Copper on Netflix. I found out that season 2 was being aired on BBC. The show was so intriguing, and it was so neat to see how people lived in the 1800′s. I am so bummed because it became one of my favorite shows to watch.