Copper

Copper TV seriesNetwork: BBC America
Episodes: 23 (hour)
Seasons: Two

TV show dates: August 19, 2012 — September 22, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Tom Weston-Jones, Kyle Schmid, Ato Essandoh, Tessa Thompson, Kevin Ryan, Tanya Fischer, Dylan Taylor, Ron White, David Keeley, Franka Potente, Anastasia Griffith, and Kiara Glasco.

past TV show

TV show description:
This crime drama TV series is set in 1864 in New York City and is filled with intrigue, corruption, mystery and murder.

Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones) is an Irish-American former boxer who became a police detective. He returns from the Civil War to find that his wife is missing and his daughter is dead. Corcoran struggles to walk a straight line in New York City’s notoriously crooked Five Points neighborhood. Desperate to learn the truth about what happened to his family, he dedicates himself to seeking justice for the powerless and overlooked. He also finds himself thrust into the contrasting worlds of elegant and corrupt Fifth Avenue, and the emerging African-American community in Northern Manhattan.

Corcoran shares a secret from the battlefield with Robert Morehouse and Doctor Matthew Freeman that inextricably links their lives together. As he did in the Union Army, Corcoran proves intelligent, valiant and tenacious — stopping at nothing to bring those responsible to justice.

A handsome bon vivant and part of the Manhattan aristocracy, Robert Morehouse (Kyle Schmid) and Corcoran were mustered out of the 71st Regiment together. Though raised in a life of privilege, Morehouse was changed by the war and now sees the lower class as his equals — much to his father’s dismay. Spending more time drinking and cavorting with prostitutes than making a name for himself in the business world, Morehouse consistently falls short of his dad’s expectations.

An African-American physician, Doctor Matthew Freeman (Ato Essandoh) was Morehouse’s valet during the Civil War. When called upon, Freeman now assists Corcoran in murder investigations though receives no credit for his contribution. Freeman practices modern scientific methods of deduction, but precinct superiors believe this to be Corcoran’s work and he doesn’t tell them otherwise.

Freeman is devoted to his wife Sara (Tessa Thompson) whose two brothers were lynched during the Draft Riots. She’s left emotionally scarred, refuses to leave her house, and convinces her husband to leave Five Points in hopes of finding security in the African-American community of Carmansville in Northern Manhattan.

Detective Francis Maguire (Kevin Ryan) is Corcoran’s closest friend and his partner in the Sixth Precinct. Maguire assists Corcoran in his search for his missing wife, as well as in navigating the underground criminal world of Five Points. Though he cares deeply for those closest to him, Maguire possesses a quick temper and occasionally loses control. Enamored with Molly Stuart (Tanya Fischer), Maguire harbors a desire to settle down and marry the ambitious courtesan.

Flirtatious and beautiful, Molly works at at Eva’s Paradise and entertains several gentlemen from both Uptown and Five Points. Her big heart and free-spirited nature can embroil her in others’ affairs and, despite her taboo career choice, Molly possesses a deep sense of right and wrong.

Detective Andrew O’Brien (Dylan Taylor) is a colleague and companion to Corcoran and Maguire. Often teased about his acquiescence to his overbearing wife, he is fiercely loyal to his family and friends.

Captain of the Sixth Precinct, Ciaran Joseph Sullivan (Ron White) is more concerned about his reputation in the public eye than seeking justice for victims. Sullivan questions how the kingpins of New York society will be affected by the results of the tenacious Corcoran’s investigations.

Sergeant Padraic Byrnes (David Keeley) is a corrupt cop within the ranks of the Sixth Precinct and takes delight in thwarting Corcoran. He plays both sides of the law by manipulating Captain Sullivan as well as victims and criminals.

With a saloon and brothel located in the center of Five Points, Eva Heissen (Franka Potente), the Madame of Eva’s Paradise, is a shrewd businesswoman. A long list of patrons — including many coppers from the Sixth Precinct — help Eva maintain control over her employees with stern precision. Despite her tough-as-nails exterior, she shows her gentler side when she is with Corcoran — who finds comfort in Eva’s arms while his heart yearns for his missing wife.

Sophisticated, spirited and intoxicatingly beautiful, Elizabeth Haverford (Anastasia Griffith) is more than a mindless debutante. Far more business-savvy and politically astute than the other society ladies of Fifth Avenue, Elizabeth seeks to use her wealth and influence to improve the lives of others -– despite how it’s perceived by the rest of New York’s upper class. Though she meets Corcoran under horrific circumstances, Elizabeth enjoys his companionship and protection.

A young runaway who is growing up quickly, Annie Reilly (Kiara Glasco) is forced into prostitution to survive. After a memorable encounter with Corcoran, she becomes deeply attached as he endeavors to protect her from danger. Whip-smart with a predilection for mischief, Annie reminds Corcoran of his own daughter, and he goes out of his way to try to introduce her to a better life.
space

Series Finale

Episode #23 — “The Place I Called My Home”
In the wake of the President’s death, Detective Kevin Corcoran reels like the rest of the country. As Corcoran mourns with Robert Morehouse and Doctor Matthew Freeman, the three men decide to join a national effort once more. For the three friends, the mission elicits memories from the battlefield, resurfaces faces from the past, and creates opportunity for Five Points chaos to continue unabated.
First aired: September 22, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Copper TV series? Are you sorry that there won’t be a third season?

Jens Lutz July 17, 2014 at 11:30 pm

I only watched a few shows and caught bits and pieces. I recently watched entire series on netflix and now hate that there are no more. They deserved a third season to at least bring a good close.

Pam July 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Bring it back! Lived the show!

Beverly Stumman July 17, 2014 at 12:38 am

Love this show!!!!!!! Bring it back please. Great acting talent. Interesting story lines. Awesome characters. Please, please, please rethink this show and bring it back!!!!!

BKK July 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm

The first time I tried to watch this show it was too bloody for my taste. I decided to try again and sure enough I found a gold mine of a show. Now I find out it won’t be renewed for a season three. That’s a real shame because there really are very few good shows on tv any more and the best aren’t making it. I don’t care for the soap opera talent shows or reality shows or other contest shows they put on. I find I am now down to about four shows a week I like. I’m older. I didn’t grow up with tv. I have no problem turning it off and reading a book. In fact I prefer the books most of the time. I do like a good detective show but if the choosing keeps getting to be so poor I can finally turn off the tv for good.

linda turner July 16, 2014 at 2:59 pm

sorry there wont be any more episodes it was definite 10 stare rating and left us on acliff hanger netflex should pick it up

Bill Volonte July 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I too enjoyed Copper and am sorry it was cancelled. Although at times it was a little excessively violent, I was intrigued by the way the series presented policing in America at the time of the Civil War.

Lori Robson July 13, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I loved this show, and I became a big fan of Tom Weston-Jones and Franka Potente.
They could have told so many more stories with this cast, but I guess we won’t get to see them now.

Bill July 14, 2014 at 2:19 am

I’ve already commented several days ago about my feelings on Copper being cancelled-but so many of you have commented about how the season 2 ending left us hanging-one more comment. Lincoln has died-Tammany Hall is being the overpowering jerks they were back then-there are so many more story lines to pursue-this is so sad to see these writers and stars not be able to prove to the world what we already know-that this series DESERVES to continue. BBC get your act together, or sell the rights to another group that can continue this excellent series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill July 14, 2014 at 2:22 am

Sorry-should have added=read Paul Franco’s comments. He has a handle on how this should go down. Thank you to him.

Kevin B July 13, 2014 at 8:43 pm

This was Great show.Bring it BACK!

Paul Franco July 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I wish they would have brought COPPER back months ago, but after personally contacting BBC America several times, I have continued to get the same “lame and curt” response, “…Copper has been cancelled and there are not plans to renew it…” My only hope is that HBO, Cinemax, AMC, Netflix, Discovery Channel, History or any other network would pick it up for at least another season. If any of these networks have been producing and televising COPPER, it certainly would have been renewed. BBC America doesn’t understand or refuses to make any effort to put COPPER back into production. Personally, I don’t bother to get involved in any BBC America programming due to the fact that for whatever reason(s) they ignore their audience.

Tyler Miller July 13, 2014 at 4:28 am

just finished watching copper season 2 on netflix.loved the show.the history in it was very appealing to me.i liked the theme song. i wished they would make more seasons of this show. i would watch every one.for me these kind of shows are gone. i wish bbc would bring this one bsck.if the writer thought it was a good place to leave he was wrong.i wanted to see what corky was gonna do about the orginazation and the disappearance of eva.please bring it back.so many stories to tell

George Jackson July 12, 2014 at 7:29 pm

One of the single greatest television programs it has been my pleasure to watch. We starve for quality programming like this and it is a loss beyond my skill with words to ever properly convey.

BKK July 16, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Well, George Jackson in one or two lines you conveyed what I could not quite get across in a long long post. Well put!

Christine Doherty July 12, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Please consider doing another season of Copper. You left us high and dry! There are so many more stories to tell.

Robynn July 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Christine, Join our group to help get the show back. https://www.facebook.com/groups/575226115847540/

Michael P July 11, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Enjoyed the series! Greatly let down upon discovering the show was cancelled. I was hoping for more!

Portunda July 11, 2014 at 10:53 pm

BRING, COPPER BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christina Padilla July 11, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I am so sad to see that it won’t be continuing, love the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!