Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey: Ratings

Cosmos ratingsIt’s been quite awhile since FOX programmed anything but animated shows on Sunday nights — and there certainly hasn’t been anything like Cosmos on the network before. Will their gamble pay off and bring in bigger ratings or, will it be a disappointment? We’ll see.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a follow up to the Carl Sagan series from 1980 and is hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. The series follows how humans discovered the laws of nature and the quest for knowledge.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available — typically the following morning, around 11:30am EST/8:30am PST. Refresh to see the latest.

6/2 update: You can see the latest night’s ratings in context here.

These are the final national numbers (unless noted with an “*”). These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the new Cosmos TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Landen July 21, 2014 at 8:58 pm

This show was incredible! It must be renewed. It brings so much awareness to the peril our earth WILL see if we do not change our ways and offers such a wonderful glimpse into our past. Please bring this show back.

Anonymous July 20, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Please renew this show!

vern davids July 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Yes, please.

What a wonderful respite from the dumbed-down mainstream drivel we are so routinely subjected to.
Sagan’s original series is still the gold standard by which science educational series’ merit is gauged.

The absurd objections of the religious right needn’t dissuade renewal, one would hope, even if the Cosmos series makes young earth creationists look not-regrettably foolish.

Our culture needs more such boluses of scientific literacy, masterfully done as this one was.

Cris Timmons July 11, 2014 at 8:46 am

My husband and I loved Cosmos. Hard to beat something that’s educational while also being extremely entertaining. I hope schools will use Cosmos to teach science.
MORE COSMOS PLEASE!

robert July 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

i agree i loved the show. hope they renew.

SirStephenH June 30, 2014 at 6:15 am

We’re going to need more shows like this if we want to dig ourselves out of this anti-science/truth slump we’re in and provide a future for generations to come.

For the sake of our nation we need this show renewed.

Queeferies June 29, 2014 at 8:27 pm

20% Story telling
75% Conjecture
5% Science

SirStephenH June 30, 2014 at 6:18 am

That’s a pretty accurate breakdown of religion but I think 5% science is pushing it.

Anonymous June 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

needs a less hostile moderator. cancel or change him. can’t watch it.

robert June 30, 2014 at 10:51 am

realy why. because he black. get over it. Hes not hostile

Nobama July 20, 2014 at 8:05 am

Wow. An immediate play of the race card. Well done. Not subtle; but well done.

Mr Words June 24, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I absolutely love this show; as many other avid viewers have mentioned on here, I, too, believe that this show is much better than watching a cartoon or reality series. This show is BY FAR one of the most intriguing, captivating, educational, and positively amusing shows I’ve ever seen on TV.

I’ll be downright appalled if “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey” does not get renewed for a second, heck, even a third, season!

I vote for the renewal of this series! DO NOT CANCEL IT!

Sincerely,
World o’ Words Webmaster
(www.WorldoWords.com)

Debi June 23, 2014 at 4:55 pm

This show was amazing! Yes, not only do I think it should have a second season — I think it’s incredibly important that there be a second season.

We need a show that teaches us something important, rather than fake “reality” shows or insipid comedies or cop shows.

The show was inspiring, and we are in dire need of a show that makes learning interesting and a show that makes science understandable to the general public.

Please, sir, I want some more…

Rohan June 18, 2014 at 3:02 pm

This show is Ah-mazing. I loved the way he explained everything so simply. This series is waaaayyy better than some cartoon. This will make people smarter. Also, I learned so much, by just sitting there. If they don’t renew it, I WILL BE SUPER MAD!

Nixxy June 17, 2014 at 6:39 pm

This was the best show on TV this season and my kids and I looked forward to watching it every week. Americans really do need to change their priorities and focus on shows that causes us to think and expand our knowledge, not gel out on junk TV and reality shows.

Andrea June 17, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I really do like watching this show. Oddly enough, my first grader and her friends, ranging in age groups up to 4th grade, like this show, too. I hope they renew this series.

Linda Berdeaux June 22, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Another season PLEASE…instead of the dumbing down of America…we might even see (do we dare hope) a smartening up of same. In a recent study 1 out of 4 people thought the sun revolved around the earth…should have learned better in grammar school.