Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey: Ratings

Cosmos ratingsIt’s been quite awhile since FOX programmed anything but animated shows on Sunday nights — and there certainly hasn’t been anything like Cosmos on the network before. Will their gamble pay off and bring in bigger ratings or, will it be a disappointment? We’ll see.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a follow up to the Carl Sagan series from 1980 and is hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. The series follows how humans discovered the laws of nature and the quest for knowledge.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available — typically the following morning, around 11:30am EST/8:30am PST. Refresh to see the latest.

6/2 update: You can see the latest night’s ratings in context here.

These are the final national numbers (unless noted with an “*”). These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the new Cosmos TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Betsy Ann October 25, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Renew it!!! I am a Christian but not a fundamentalist. Fundamentalists of all faiths all around the world have one thing in common they all want to make other people live by their beliefs. I don’t force my beliefs on others but fundamentalists are self-righteous, aggressive, and believe any means of conversion is allowed or required by what every God they pray to. American Christian fundamentalists give the impression that the only part of our Constitution that is important is the 2nd amendment, we should all remember the part about liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This is my country and my tax money too. Fundamentalists have the right to live their lives as they choose, if one believes an act is wrong then they should avoid participating in that act. I have the right to choose for myself what I believe and and live by those beliefs. I choose. I decide. For myself. Fundamentalists should be required to stop telling the rest of us what we MUST believe and do.

GT October 1, 2014 at 12:37 am

I would love, Love, LOVE to see this series renewed. It is is beautifully shot, and wonderfully written. I am an artist, and I wish that science had been so accessible when I was in school….that it had been taught with such passion, dedication, and excitement. My science and math teachers were, with a few exceptions, not driven with passion for what they taught (although my literature teachers were, which is one of the reasons why I became an English major) …please, please, please bring this series back!!!!!

Julie Mitchell September 29, 2014 at 9:01 am

How could they not renew Cosmos? The beauty of what and who we are is in this show. If small close minded people cannot see God in this show, then that is there problem! Please renew!

robert September 29, 2014 at 7:05 pm

i completely. fox has finaly did something good again. i loved the show. my only other favorite fox show is “24”

Mark Cappuzzo September 25, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Excellent new edition of a great series. Dr. Tyson has the touch and touched many who knew and respected Dr. Sagan. I would love to see more episodes but I think Dr. Tyson is going to get back to academics and family.

Tammy Glover September 22, 2014 at 1:33 am

I just read that Cosmos may not be renewed due to complaints about the shows theories. Just wanted you to know that I am a Christian who loves the show. I enjoyed every episode. I am also intelligent enough to form my own opinions about controversial ideas. Please renew it and please renew Tyson. The show would not be the same without Tyson!

robert September 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm

i completely agree. its jus like anything else you should draw your own conclusion. i am also a christian and loved every show. the show did not lead you either way it tells you whats going on in the cosmos, and some of the people whom came up with the ideals. if fox is going to start not renewing shows on that basis then it might want to look at some of its animated shows

Anonymous September 18, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Renew it

Nancy Davison September 14, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I just read that even if Cosmos is renewed, Tyson won’t be the host. Instead it might be Bill Nye, and if so, I won’t watch it because I really can’t stand watching Bill Nye for any length of time.

robert September 15, 2014 at 11:53 am

i agree i like tyson and the way he does the show reminds me of the great carl sagan and i watched that one to

Nancy Davison September 15, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Robert, we never missed the original Cosmos, and while I liked Sagan, I’m even more delighted with Tyson.

robert September 19, 2014 at 7:40 am

i agree i hope they renew

robert September 27, 2014 at 2:01 pm

me too

SW Milelr September 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Please renew Cosmos. . . .best show ever on tv.

Monique September 11, 2014 at 9:03 pm

RENEW IT!

Nancy Davison August 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

That’s a fascinating comment on “How the Universe Works.” We watched a couple of episodes and found it nowhere near as good as “Cosmos.” In fact we sent the DVD back to Netflix without watching all the episodes and deleted the other disc. We’re enthralled with “Cosmos” partly because of Tyson’s presentation, but also because of the visuals. The visuals on “How the Universe Works” were repetitive and the voice-over reminds me of those Discovery and History channel shows where the narration is supposed to sound creepy and mysterious. No thanks.

John B., M.D. August 26, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Perhaps you didn’t like the 2nd season (2012) narration by Erik Todd Dellums.

Consider giving the 3rd season (now) a second chance, narrated by Mike Rowe.

Nancy Davison September 14, 2014 at 10:38 pm

John, it wasn’t just the narration, it was the whole way it was presented. Tyson lights up and is so wonderfully enthusiastic, and “How the Universe Works” was just dry and uninteresting.

John B., M.D. August 21, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I would suggest that the TV series “How the Universe Works” has much better science content about the cosmos, and avoids the thinly-veiled political agenda and poor-qualiy cartoon re-enactments of “Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey.” Sagan’s version was much better, and despite over three decades of time, still remains relevant and conveys a sense of awe that the remake does not.

Nancy Davison August 16, 2014 at 1:53 am

I LOVE this show. Please continue it. It’s the best science show I’ve seen in years, and Tyson is a big plus in anything he does.

robert August 16, 2014 at 2:21 pm

i agree. when i first heard about the show i was skeptical on how that would turn out without Carl Sagan. And i must say Tyson does a great job. I also like the way he references Carl

Anonymous August 12, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Continue please. Incredible show.

robert August 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

i agree hopefully they will renew