Creature Comforts: CBS Puts Stops on Stop-Motion Series

Creature ComfortsDuring the summer months, networks understand that viewership is typically lower than usual. As such, it’s pretty rare for a summer series to be pulled prematurely. For this, and obvious reasons, Creature Comforts is a rare breed.

A version of Creature Comforts was first seen as a 1989 animated short film made in Britain. It featured a group of anmals talking about their life in the zoo. It became a TV series in 2003 in the U.K. A U.S. version debuted on June 4th on CBS and featured animal characters being voiced by everyday people. All of these versions were produced by Aardman Animations who are best known for the Wallace and Gromit films.

The claymation Creature Comforts series debuted to 6.3 million and slipped to 4.5 million the second week. Only 4.3 million watched the third episode and, as a result, CBS has pulled Creature Comforts. Repeats of The New Adventures of Old Christine will fill the Monday at 8pm timeslot for the immediate future.

It’s unknown if the four remaining unaired episodes will see the light of day. It’s possible that they may be made available on the CBS site where two episodes currently reside. TV Series Finale home page

Toni July 20, 2007 at 1:00 pm

I’ve seen those episodes before, but where? Oh Yeah! They are the EXACT episodes of the British version. But with American dubbing.

Gee, I wonder if America will steal anymore U.K. TV shows. Gosh, I guess we’re just so unimaginative, we can’t come up with our own version of Creature Comforts.

The only difference with the imported version to the U.S., was the dubbing over of what was said in the British version. The American dubbing wasn’t very good, anyway.

For those of you who didn’t get to see the British version when it was on BBC America (only with Satellite or Digital Cable), would have loved the American version, if they would have kept showing it, and that’s just fine. But for me who’s already seen the BBC version, I think I’ll just stick to that one. It was much funnier.

Heather July 19, 2007 at 2:22 pm

I was afraid Creature Comforts was too smart and funny to last. I don’t know who did the marketing, but everyone at work had the impression, without watching it, that it was a Kid’s Show. I was just getting people to tune in when CBS pulled the rug from under me. I guess I’ll just go back to watching things on Netflix instead of the summer garbage offered.

Robyn July 19, 2007 at 9:02 am

I had to do a google search to find info on this fantastic show. What happened to it? I started telling my friends and family to tune in and then it was no more. I appreciated this show because it was so different. Something enjoyable and funny in the mix of all the other boring garbage that’s on day in and day out.

Linda July 16, 2007 at 1:30 pm

I have spent the last couple weeks asking family and friends if they have seen a new show called ‘Creature Comforts’. I have been telling everyone what a good show this is. Nobody else seems to have heard of it so they asked me when it was on. I got online to look it up to see when the next episode was and found out it was cancelled.

Are you kidding me? Not enough people had a chance to hear about it or to even watch a single episode.

I sure hope another network picks up this really cute show. I think CBS really dropped the ball on this one.

Jessica July 12, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I cannot believe that CBS has pulled this refreshingly innovative, intelligent, and witty show.

I was so happy to finally see something of quality on television after we have been bombarded with stupid and crass reality shows with no substance at all for the last few years.

SHAME on you CBS for not giving this creative little show (that I added to my series record on the FIRST VIEWING) a chance. I have told countless friends about how delightful it is and I’m more than livid to discover that it will no longer be part of my Monday nights.

I wrote something similar to this on the CBS comment form that Kit Boss supplied. I hope everyone else does too!

Robo's July 12, 2007 at 11:08 am

We soooo looked forward to Creature comforts AND YOU PULLED IT!!!! It showed true talent and creation w/ claymation. Hopefully All the PBS channels will pick it up…CBS offers junk as of late.

Troy July 12, 2007 at 5:08 am

CBS is stupid. Cancel Creature Comforts for another airhead reality show by chance?

Ross July 12, 2007 at 12:04 am

If anyone at CBS reads they will see that many are displeased with the pulling of Creature Comforts. I suppose you know what is good for us and what we really like on our TV. Not.Get with the program. Have you heard of “word of mouth”? This show, if given time, would have sold itself. Can you say panic? yeeech!

Amanda Johnston July 11, 2007 at 2:17 pm

This is the first show I have watched on CBS in years. Actually I can’t remember the last one I was excited to see. I am very disappointed this clever laugh out loud show is cancelled just to be replaced by reruns of another dull sitcom. CBS didn’t even give this show a chance with only 3 episodes shown in the middle of the summer. Please bring it back!!

Lola July 11, 2007 at 10:50 am

Bring back horse and mule!!!! They are so awesome.

Charles Sachs July 9, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Just back from a week trip and told many people to watch this delightfully fresh show which, at times, had me almost falling to the floor laughing. Having known some staffers at CBS in LA years ago (am sure long gone)I would have called and say give this show a break. As the Brits would say,”It is f__king brilliant.” A sad loss in a world that is filled with dreadful news daily. This show is sorely needed. Reconsider and hire me as a writer too. My type of humor.
Chas

Mer July 9, 2007 at 5:15 pm

What a disaster and an ENORMOUS disappointment! Creature Comforts was a tremendous breath of fresh air amidst predictable programming — unique, clever, and really really funny. I stumbled on this great animated show and spread the word to everyone I know, even watched the episode I had missed on the CBS website. Of course we don’t watch TV in summer if all you have to offer are stale reruns of weak sitcoms. Give us something good like CREATURE COMFORTS to watch, and watch we will!

Kevin July 9, 2007 at 4:35 pm

FFFFF-YOU for taking creature comforts for some old FFFF-in’ show your tryinng to get back on fall season? Start fireieg your unamanagive lakies ann start aring goooood shows instead of those failures try bringing neilson rateings into my house and you will’nt have a network OLD CRISTINE SUCKS STOP SLEEPING WITH THE @!#$%&(*())))?><

pollysmom July 9, 2007 at 4:29 pm

As a CBS stockholder, I am insulted and angry at the poor judgment shown by the powers-that-be in that sorry excuse for an entertainment concern. Rest assured that the corporation will hear from me. The no-brain bastards

John L. July 9, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Monday was the worst day of my week….that is untill CREATURE COMFORTS aired. I practically put monday #1 on my list of top 7 days. Now I hear u cancelled it. Bad move, now monday is back to last. At least air the final 4 episodes i’m begging you!!!!!!!!!