Crossing Lines: A Second Season or Cancelled on NBC?

Crossing Lines canceled or renewed for season two?Last night, NBC aired the finale of Crossing Lines. The season ended on a cliffhanger that has viewers itching for season two. Will the show be renewed, or will it be cancelled instead?

Crossing Lines follows a former NYPD officer who’s become addicted to morphine and ends up working as a trash collector for a carnival in the Netherlands. The International Criminal Court recognizes his worth and recruits him to help investigate crimes that cross international borders.

The show stars William Fichtner, Marc Lavoine, Gabriella Pession, Tom Wlaschiha, Moon Dailly, Richard Flood, and Donald Sutherland.

The police procedural series debuted June 23rd to a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.38 million viewers. The first hour ranked a distant third in its timeslot, easily beaten by a rerun of FOX’s Family Guy and the debut of Whodunnit? on ABC.

Though viewership is lower in the summer months, the peaock network could not be happy with these numbers. The later weeks saw them get even worse. Over the course of the season, Crossing Lines has fallen as low as a 0.5 demo rating and 2.51 million viewers.

If NBC were producing the Crossing Lines, there’d be no way that they would make a second season. There’s just not enough ad money to pay for the production.

Thankfully for fans, NBC doesn’t produce the show. Crossing Lines was jointly commissioned by TF1 in France and by Sony for their AXN channels.

NBC merely licenses the series so it costs them much less. Based on the ratings, it’s still extremely unlikely that the peacock network will air a second season.

However, there’s hope that another season will be produced by Sony and TF1. If that happens, another US channel could pick it up or, at the very least, episodes could be released on DVD. We’ll post any updates as they become available.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Crossing Lines or should it be cancelled instead? Why didn’t more people watch? If NBC doesn’t want season two, which channel would be a better fit?

seb August 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

There to be a season 2..this is an amazing show..i love all the episodes..i find the actors very good….it is different to see a tv serie made in europe…please come back for another season..

Gary August 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Renew the Show!! You dont find a group of specialized indivuals that work that well together without ego problems.

Ruddy August 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

CROSSING LINES is one of the best shows on television. It has high production values and a great cast. As is typical of NBC, they give up on these type shows (SOUTHLAND, PRIME SUSPECT). I hope that if they don’t pick it up for a second season, someone else will.

Anonymous August 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I was drawn in to this show the first few minutes of the first episode! Please don’t cancel it. It is one of the few good shows on TV.

Terry J. Schultz August 20, 2013 at 6:32 pm

NBC should carry a 2nd Year of Crossing Lines. The acting is Top Notch and unlike some Police Procedurals, this one isn’t predictable. It is left to NBC to show that at least on their Network, quality Shows are aired and allowed to gain viewership.

Kathryn August 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Please renew the show. It is has great acting, different themes than any other show and lots of suspense. I don’t think it was advertised well. Please renew!!!!!

sherry costanza August 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Please renew Crossing Lines. It is stylish, well written and the cast is great. I also like the ever changing locale of the stories. Shows like Criminal Minds are too gruesome for me and the writers here have done a good job keeping the gore to a minimum. The season finale was so exciting that I will watch again and certainly want more next season. I think that the mistake was showing it on Sunday night against several very good and proven favorites on Showtime and HBO. I would prefer a Monday-Thursday slot for this excellent show.

Valerie August 20, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I agree with Michael that NBC did little to advertise this. I do hope they bring this show back. It is interesting and different. Got knows we have too many reality shows on. It is nice to have something new. They need to keep it.

Le-Rae Asson August 20, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Yes. I definitely want a 2nd season. It’s nice to see a show that is not cussing all the time.

Lynn August 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm

When “Crossing Lines” started, I found it so refreshing–it’s a sophisticated, intelligently written drama not totally immersed in sex and violence. So, of course it didn’t appeal to the masses who like animated, inane comedies and the glut of reality TV which passes for entertainment. If NBC decides to pass, it would be a great show for Hulu Plus to put in their lineup.

Karen Pearson August 20, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I don’t understand why every time I like a show on NBC they cancel it. Maybe if they had it on a better day it would succeed. I recommended it to my friends and they are hooked on it. No body watches NBC because they cancel all the good shows. I loved this show, it was the only thing good about Sunday night TV. Please think about it before canceling, they left the audience hanging on with every chacacter.

Cindy August 20, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Please, please, please renew “Crossing Lines” for another season! The unfortunate Sunday night timeslot is difficult for me to catch, but I record and watch every episode!! Very different, very exciting drama. Love the cast and characters! Each team member has his/her own past with baggage. The twists and turns in the story line are so riveting; it keeps me on the edge of my seat! Creates lively conversation with co-workers, who are also faithful followers!! NBC needs to give this show a chance!!!

Susan August 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I found the concept of an international team intriguing and I loved the authenticity of the filming in actual European locations as opposed to most of our crime shows that are shot on back lots. It’s been gritty but not too dark and I enjoy ensemble casts. I think it would be better suited to a cable network like FX or TNT. I think the viewership was poor because people look for mindless garbage on Sunday nights as evidenced by the FOX lineup and in-season Sunday night football. There were preseason games this past week. I do hope “Crossing Lines” returns.

Alana August 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Love this show! Come on NBC-get real–Do Not Cancel this incredibility well written and well acted drama. Show some spunk and surprise us with a Season II.

Linda August 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Please renew the program “Crossing Lines.” It has become one of my favorite shows. The storylines are very interesting, and the drama created with the season finale cliffhangers has to be answered for the loyal viewers. With so many mindless comedies and reality shows, a show that draws in the audience is welcome entertainment.