Crossing Lines: A Second Season or Cancelled on NBC?

Crossing Lines canceled or renewed for season two?Last night, NBC aired the finale of Crossing Lines. The season ended on a cliffhanger that has viewers itching for season two. Will the show be renewed, or will it be cancelled instead?

Crossing Lines follows a former NYPD officer who’s become addicted to morphine and ends up working as a trash collector for a carnival in the Netherlands. The International Criminal Court recognizes his worth and recruits him to help investigate crimes that cross international borders.

The show stars William Fichtner, Marc Lavoine, Gabriella Pession, Tom Wlaschiha, Moon Dailly, Richard Flood, and Donald Sutherland.

The police procedural series debuted June 23rd to a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.38 million viewers. The first hour ranked a distant third in its timeslot, easily beaten by a rerun of FOX’s Family Guy and the debut of Whodunnit? on ABC.

Though viewership is lower in the summer months, the peaock network could not be happy with these numbers. The later weeks saw them get even worse. Over the course of the season, Crossing Lines has fallen as low as a 0.5 demo rating and 2.51 million viewers.

If NBC were producing the Crossing Lines, there’d be no way that they would make a second season. There’s just not enough ad money to pay for the production.

Thankfully for fans, NBC doesn’t produce the show. Crossing Lines was jointly commissioned by TF1 in France and by Sony for their AXN channels.

NBC merely licenses the series so it costs them much less. Based on the ratings, it’s still extremely unlikely that the peacock network will air a second season.

However, there’s hope that another season will be produced by Sony and TF1. If that happens, another US channel could pick it up or, at the very least, episodes could be released on DVD. We’ll post any updates as they become available.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Crossing Lines or should it be cancelled instead? Why didn’t more people watch? If NBC doesn’t want season two, which channel would be a better fit?

Canceled and renewed TV show

481 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Nora Whitbeck says

I loved the show, watched every episode. Great acting. Great story line. Please bring it back. Thank you!

2. Avril Brown says

I think it did not receive the publicity necessary to draw attention to a show. I had never heard of it until yesterday. Can’t expect for people to watch what they do not know about.

3. Somebody says

I just saw the show, damn cliffhanger..

by the way, why are you people crying for a renew? it didn’t took me 1 minut to find info about season 2, info older than the comments :)

now.. whenever it will air in your country, who knows.. but internet is homeless.

4. judy says

again, terrific show, please renew – I say it’s far too intelligent for most Americans, perhaps that’s why they didn’t watch as they’re awash in the 90% trash on tv, I got rid of my tv recently due to constant trash shows and non stop commercials which insult my intelligence, I can watch whatever online.

5. Niskymom says

It had low viewership because A. IT WAS INTELLIGENT B. IT HAD STYLE LIKE EUROPEAN SHOWS C. NBC HARDLY PROMOTED IT, I STUMBLED ON IT BY ACCIDENT D. THEY KEPT SWITCHING WHEN IT WAS SHOWN! I ended up watching most of it ON DEMAND!

I hope some other network is smart enough to pick it up!

• Anonymous says

Agree! I hope there is a second season. Unfortunately I didn’t see part 3 at the end of the season and never saw it posted On Demand either. Now the entire season has been removed from On Demand all together. Bummer!

6. Carol says

I enjoyed the show very much. The stories were fairly predictable, but it was still very good and I liked and cared about the characters.
    I hope some network does pick it up, and hopefully it’s a network I get.
    It’s sad in this day and age, with cable and satellite offering over 500 channels, that the networks still go by an archaic system, based on a time when there was only 4 to 6 stations to choose from. It’s even more sad, and disturbing, that this system bases the “total viewership” on one person representing millions of people. Seriously. How do we know that show is really getting 50 million viewers, because 50 Neilson people are watching? Maybe those are the only 50 people in the country watching!

7. Kathy says

I watched this series every week. I liked it because of the diversity in actors from other countries. I think that the variety of situations for each week were endless due to the diversity in actors. The acting was excellent. I really liked the show and it irritates me that when we get something that we like, you take it away. I would like to know if another channel picks it up. Then I won’t have to watch NBC at all.

8. Earl Baker says

My wife and I really enjoyed the season that just ended on local NBC channel. I do hope that someone produces another season and puts it on a station that we can access.

9. Julia Cember says

I watch it in Poland on AXN. Just started of course, we have it since last Monday. I enjoy every production with William Fichtner, especially as fine as Crossing Lines and I can’t imagine myself so fast end of it. I understand the ranks are important for commercial TV channels but maybe the age difference is too big? People in their twenties usually prefer stupidness like Jersey Shore so no surprise why the rank is low. Maybe 30-49 (or even more – my father e.g. is about 55 and loves this kind of TV series) would show the real opinion about it? Waiting for the rank in Poland, hope it’s good! Greetings for all!

10. Tom Hogg says

I certainly hope it is picked up for another season.

It always baffles me that when quality entertainment because of ratings issues when ” adult animation ” and mediocre sitcoms are renewed year after year. I guess that says a lot about the intelligence of the majority of TV audiences.

11. Jackie Zander says

PLEASE KEEP IT COMING! Put in on another channel, if you must like USA NETWORKS, TNT, or ION. FIND IT A HOME and if NBC DIDN’T SCREW IT UP BY ALWAYS CHANGING TIMES AND SKIPPING WEEKS, PERHAPS IT WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN SO DIFFICULT TO FIND AND LOST VIEWERS.

• cew says

I heard it was renewed for 12 more shows,just needs to find another network to carry it, since NBC doesn’t want it now due to low viewing numbers….CBC is debuting season one in Oct.

• J.albury says

Please Please don’t cancel Crossinglines !!! It’s the most suspenseful T.V. serires on since 24 & The Firm . I looked forward to every Sunday night & I am eagerly waiting season No. 2 The actors are all great , don’t leave us hanging !! I would love to see it back on . Come on guys !!!