CSI: NY: Crafting a Season or Series Finale

CSI New YorkCSI: NY is on the bubble once again this year — teetering between being cancelled and being renewed for a ninth season. It’s unfortunately not a new story.

While the venerable series is down a bit in the 18-49 demographic (averaging a 1.7 rating vs a 1.8 from last year), the show is up slightly in total viewers. Not working in the show’s favor is the fact that CSI: NY has been around for quite awhile and isn’t as cheap to produce as a newer crime drama.

Executive producer Pam Veasey recently spoke to TV Guide about the challenges of crafting a season finale that could also serve as a series finale — something that she and her writers have had to do for the second season in a row.

Veasey said, “Family has been so important on our show, so we decided if this was the series finale, we wanted to express the value of each of these characters… And I think for the first time, the audience will understand how different each of them were and how essential each of them were. We’ve got our fingers crossed for season nine, but we’re very much a bubble show. We beat the odds last year, and now we have to compete again.”

What do you think? If CSI: NY is cancelled, what would you hope to see in the last episode?

chris evans April 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I hope they don’t cancel any of the CSI series as its the best thing on British T.V,plus I just love the programs.

carmen boyle April 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I watch this program since it first started. Never miss a program. I love it.

maria April 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm

i think csiny should end by mac offically retiring from the crime lab and maybe the remains of claire are found and mac can finally but his wife death to rest

Nicola April 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I really hope they don’t cancel it, it’s a great show. The storylines, the writing and the acting is fantastic, so I think it would be kind of silly to cancel it.

James April 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Please don’t cancel CSI NY!!

But if it will end…I hope it will have a very good ending without any cliffhangers!

Again, please don’t cancel NY! Cancel Miami instead! (from what I read in Wikipedia, apparently, CSI Miami will be ended at its 10th season to be replaced (?) for new show “NYC 22″).

Gabby April 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

This is one of my favorite shows . Please do not cancel it . I enjoy the story lines and all the characters . The talent on this show is incredible . I have been a fan for years and I’ve yet to get bored with it . Please renew CSI: NY . Thank you :)

Jo April 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

This is one of my favorite shows. It has a great cast and alot of followers. The age demographic of 18 to 49 is unfair to alot of the shows. If people go out to dinner or movie it is usually Friday night and in the age demographic of 18 to 49. We are losing some good shows that are being replaced by garbage. Get enough of the reality shows. Lets keep the CSIs. Also what happened with the Good Wife. The cast gets all kinds of awards and now you are going to cancel. Stop and think about it.

Anonymous April 4, 2012 at 10:26 am

Don’t cancel CSI NY! Its definitely the best out of all the CSIs! The characters are funny and witty, the storylines are always interesting, and its based in NYC! That is the best place to come up with a new storyline, your options are always endless. Sorry Miami , but that show gets boring and Caruso can be such a predictable drag.

Anonymous April 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I totally agree – CSI NY is an awesome show and I really enjoy each of the characters with their unique personalities. I also agree with your opinion of CSI Miami, we don’t get to see it half the time because it keeps getting bumped from its time slot. I think Caruso is very predictable as is the whole show. I don’t like the camera shots they do on that show – splitting the screen and have multiple things going on at once.
So keep CSI NY and get rid of CSI Miami, that would be my suggestion.

Sarah April 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Please don’t cancel this show, it’s awesome and in my opinion, the best of the 3 csi shows. I love love love the cast, and the story telling is great. I love that the show focuses on family, and there’s more to the characters than just their csi jobs. And Flack is hilarious.

Why Watch April 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

This would be the only of the three CSIs I watch. But Fringe and Grimm come first. At no other time slot are there two shows I want to watch at the same time, except Fri at 9.

GIGI April 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

CSI:NY is a very cleverly written show that holds attention. Fine acting and writing. Always a surprise ending. It is for the thinking person (and there are not many shows that can say that!!). If you have to take one let it be CSI: Miami. David Caruso and crew are redundant and he does very little real acting. There are inaccuracies in the story lines and have come to sacrifice quality just to move a plot. The actors and the show have not done much worth seeing over the last several seasons so we stopped watching it and Caruso. Anyone can look up through sunglasses. Big deal. Listen to viewers just once after all it is we who have to put up with all your commercials. Just once you could give us what we want. We want CSI: NY, and the whol ensemble of actors/actresses.

Bethany April 3, 2012 at 10:05 am

CSI:NY is the best of the CSI shows. I am not entirely sure why they took such a long hiatus, but judging by the comments on FB and GetGlue, the show is just as beloved by others as it is by me. There were thousands of people checking in and commenting about how they were so happy it finally was airing new episodes again. If they cancel the show, they are making a huge mistake. And if people are not watching it, its probably because they think it is off the air again, or running reruns in the middle of HUGE ratings periods again. (Seriously, what happened to having a 26 episode season that ran from Sept to May? Bring it back, and give us some continuity. Maybe then more people would keep tuning in to the same shows more consistantly as well.)

Elizabeth Kamps April 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

Simple….don’t cancel it is a great show!

Matt April 3, 2012 at 6:43 am

If cancelled i hope for a good last episode with no cliffhangers

KAB April 3, 2012 at 4:45 am

Please don’t cancel CSI: NY it is a great show. I watch it every week. The Las Vegas and Miami versions are nothing without NY. It has been around for years please give it another chance.

KAB April 3, 2012 at 4:42 am

Please don’t cancel CSI: NY it is a great show. The Las Vegas and Miami versions are nothing without NY. It has been around for years please give it another chance.