CSI: NY: Has the CBS TV Series Been Cancelled?

CSI NY canceled?We’ve received several emails from readers who love CSI: NY and are worried that it’s been cancelled. Will the show ever return? The simple answer is, “Yes, it’s on hiatus until March 30th.” But, while the TV series hasn’t been canned yet, Gary Sinise and company could certainly be in their final season.

It’s no secret that the ratings have declined over the years and that’s probably one of the reasons that CBS moved it to a Friday night timeslot. It still brings in a respectable 10 million viewers each week but is one of the network’s worst performer in the prized 18-49 demographic, even when you adjust for the Friday timeslot. Year-to-year, the show is also down by 7% in the demo.

At the recent TCA press tour, CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler noted that, though she loves the CSI shows, “Nothing runs forever. How you handle it, the most important thing is how you respect your audience, how you respect your cast, and being incredibly sensitive to how you wrap up any show when it ends a successful run. But we are in those talking stages now (about how to end the CSIs).”

TV show supportIt’s unlikely that CBS will end all three CSI series this year but they could certainly drop one or two of them. Based on the ratings, the New York version would be first in line to be cancelled.

What do you think? Is this the last season of CSI: NY? Should the series be cancelled or renewed for one more season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,114 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. yvonne says

This is my favorite CSI show. I just can’t get into the original CSI with all the cast changes and I don’t care for the one in Miami with David Caruso. I love Gary Sinise and the cast of New York.

2. alexis says

I cannot believe that they are canceling this CSI NY show it is the best tv show i have ever seen but if you want to cancel anything they should cancel CSI LAS VEGAS!!!!!!

3. ANITA ROMAN says

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE CANCELLING THE BEST CSI EVER. THE STORYLINES ARE INCREDIBLE. THE CAST IS SPECTACULAR. CSI WAS NOTHING UNTIL JUST LATELY AND CSI NEW YORK WAS THE ONE TO WATCH FOR GREAT CREDIBLE STORIES. I CAN’T STAND ALL THOSE REALITIES YOU NETWORKS ARE PUTTING ON. I CHANGE CHANNELS AS SOON AS THE MESSY PEOPLE IN BEACH CLOTHES COME ON. YOU WANT TO CANCEL SOMETHING? CANCEL 2-1/2 MEN. IT’S CRUDE, RUDE, AND FROM THE VERY BEGINING ITS ONLY FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO MORALS.

4. says

Don’t cancel the CSIs. Stated before, they win hands down over stupid, innane “reality” shows which are anything BUT. And the demagraphics need to include the 50+ because, at the moment, this is where real dollars are earned from ads. The people on “reality” sjows are such losers, who really wants to watch them?

5. patrick says

OMG please do not cancel csi ny … i love the show look fwd to it every week.. if u wanna get rid of any csi please get cancel csi Miami… they are the worst actors in that show ….. its like a train wreack

6. KathyM says

Have to agree with the prior posts. Of the CSI’s my family likes NY the best. Miami could be cancelled and I wouldn’t shed a tear.

7. SHIMSHON says

I’m a big fun of CSI NY!! I watch every episode several times..
    I wouldn’t lie if I say that this show has taught me several things in LIFE!
    I really hope CBS is not planning to cancel it!! not yet anyway…..

8. Val Anderson says

Do not cancel CSINY it is one of the most authentic shows on TV. The chemistry between the stars is super. You have so many stupid, inane shows on CBC.. Leave this good show alone.

9. kathy says

I love csi New York, and Csi Miami the stations hurt the shows when they put them on sun or fri nights….enough with the dumb reality shows…Leave csi alone.

10. csi vegas says

CSI Vegas is not what it used to be after William Peterson left the show he just added something to the show.

11. dontgothere says

please don’t cancel the CSI NY – this is the ONLY CSI i watch EVERY week – well when it’s ON. i never watch the miami version – can’t stand the guy who plays that main character and the original one in las vegas lost a lot of nterest when grissom left but they brought back the useless sara character.

• jeanie mcclellan says

i have to say that csi new york is one of my favorites if you have to let one go it should be the las vegas one

12. Louise says

If they need to cancel a CSI program, it should be CSI Miami. THe Horatio character is awful. I think Sela Ward has been a wonderful addition to the cast of CSI NY her chemistry with Gary Sinise makes it one of the better shows on television.