CSI: NY: Has the CBS TV Series Been Cancelled?

CSI NY canceled?We’ve received several emails from readers who love CSI: NY and are worried that it’s been cancelled. Will the show ever return? The simple answer is, “Yes, it’s on hiatus until March 30th.” But, while the TV series hasn’t been canned yet, Gary Sinise and company could certainly be in their final season.

It’s no secret that the ratings have declined over the years and that’s probably one of the reasons that CBS moved it to a Friday night timeslot. It still brings in a respectable 10 million viewers each week but is one of the network’s worst performer in the prized 18-49 demographic, even when you adjust for the Friday timeslot. Year-to-year, the show is also down by 7% in the demo.

At the recent TCA press tour, CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler noted that, though she loves the CSI shows, “Nothing runs forever. How you handle it, the most important thing is how you respect your audience, how you respect your cast, and being incredibly sensitive to how you wrap up any show when it ends a successful run. But we are in those talking stages now (about how to end the CSIs).”

TV show supportIt’s unlikely that CBS will end all three CSI series this year but they could certainly drop one or two of them. Based on the ratings, the New York version would be first in line to be cancelled.

What do you think? Is this the last season of CSI: NY? Should the series be cancelled or renewed for one more season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,114 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Sherrill Kiser says

If they are going to cancel one, cancel the original one. With Grissom, Warrick and Catherine gone, the series is in a tailspin, and they keep bringing big name actors in to try to buoy it up, but it isn’t working. CSI:Miami, and CSI:NY are the best by far. And leave them in one place so we can find them! This is what happened to Starsky
    & Hutch in the 70’s and Miami Vice back in the 80’s. They were moved around so much no one could find the show to watch it

2. PJ says

Don’t cancel CSI New York! I think it is the best CSI series. If one needs to be cancelled, please cancel CSI Miami!

3. says

DO NOT CANCEL CSI NY, it has always been one of my favorite and I do miss it. It should not be cancelled. Cancel some of the reality shows instead, there are way to many. They get very boring

4. Sharon says

I did not watch CSI:NY routinely until Sela Ward came on as Jo. I love her character, and watch it consistently when it is on. The series I think should be cancelled first is CSI Miami. The Horatio role is not very appealing, I tried to watch it a couple of times but was not impressed.

5. Nutty Netty says

Don’t cancel CSI*NY. If you cancel any CSI show, it should be CSI Miami, which shoudl have been cancelled years ago. Talk about REALLY BAD acting. That is a terrible show. I don’t really care about the “budding” romance for Mac Taylor’s character though.

• elizabeth crannage says

please don’t cancel csi,n.y.-it’s the best most cohesive show on tv. love gary senise,sela ward–if you are going to inflict all these reality shows upon us-please give us something good,with amazing actors,great plots,something you don’t have to throw away your college diploma to watch.

6. Eilidh Cook says

I hope they don’t cancel CSI:NY, in my opinion – it should be CSI Miami to go first – I love the CSI’s but in all honesty I have never go into Miami, it bores me slightly.. and it is too predictable. Give CSI:NY a chance it’s the newest of the 3 and I feel it would be an awful shame to cancel such a good show when tripe like Two and a Half Men is still running – which I used to like, but now I don’t at all. Please CBS – don’t do it! Or at least someone else take it up for a new season 9! Take it to 10 seasons – perfect number to end on, 8 is just not!

7. says

Please do not cancel CSI New York. It is one of my favorites. The new shows that aired this year are no where as good as the CSI shows.

8. jennifer smith says

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL CSI:NY ITS THE BEST SHOW ON FRIDAY NIGHTS AND ME AND MY FAMILY, FRIENDS LOOK FORWRD TO WATCHING IT EVERY WEEK THE THOUGHT OF LOOSING IT MAKES ME FEEL CHEATED OUT OF A GREAT SERIES SOMANY HAVE BEEN LOST ALREADY. PLEASE GIVE THIS ONE ANOTHER SEASON AT LEAST.

9. patricio says

Creo que debería terminar su cilco CSI LAS VEGAS, pues con la partida de William Petersen ( Grissom ) la serie perdió su esencia. Esto se acentúa más con la partida del personaje de Catherine. Deberían dejar CSI MIAMI , que es la que veo más y la que es la preferidad del público en Chile, y CSI New York, pues deberían darle una oportunidad, pues el elenco es muy bueno y un actor como Gary Sinise es un lujo. Quizá, para CSI New York, debería regresar el personaje de Stela Bonassera.

Saludos desde Chile.

• Loretta says

Please don’t cancel CSI NEW YORK. I watch all of the all every week and in reruns, but CSI NY is my favorite.