CSI: NY: Has the CBS TV Series Been Cancelled?

CSI NY canceled?We’ve received several emails from readers who love CSI: NY and are worried that it’s been cancelled. Will the show ever return? The simple answer is, “Yes, it’s on hiatus until March 30th.” But, while the TV series hasn’t been canned yet, Gary Sinise and company could certainly be in their final season.

It’s no secret that the ratings have declined over the years and that’s probably one of the reasons that CBS moved it to a Friday night timeslot. It still brings in a respectable 10 million viewers each week but is one of the network’s worst performer in the prized 18-49 demographic, even when you adjust for the Friday timeslot. Year-to-year, the show is also down by 7% in the demo.

At the recent TCA press tour, CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler noted that, though she loves the CSI shows, “Nothing runs forever. How you handle it, the most important thing is how you respect your audience, how you respect your cast, and being incredibly sensitive to how you wrap up any show when it ends a successful run. But we are in those talking stages now (about how to end the CSIs).”

TV show supportIt’s unlikely that CBS will end all three CSI series this year but they could certainly drop one or two of them. Based on the ratings, the New York version would be first in line to be cancelled.

What do you think? Is this the last season of CSI: NY? Should the series be cancelled or renewed for one more season?

Brenda April 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Please DO NOT CANCEL CSI: NY. IT IS MY FAVORITE OVER ALL OF THEM. Put it back on Wednesday. And leave it alone.

Kathy April 1, 2013 at 8:29 am

Love this show! I look forward to Friday night to watch it. PLease do not cancel this show.

Lori April 1, 2013 at 12:29 am

With the exception of Castle, Grey’s Anatomy and Body of Proof on ABC, I am glued to CBS every Sunday through Friday night If CBS cancels CSI NY, my only reason for watching CBS on Friday nights would be Blue Bloods. I wish these advertisers who value the under 45 audience would realize that it is the over 50 crowd that has the most money for discretionary spending Our children are grown so we are now able to spend our money any way we please. The truly stupid shows like Survivor do not impress our age group We like to challenge our brains with intelligent shows. So, advertisers pay attention…if you want our dollars, be sure to spend your funds on shows with class NCIS, NCSI LA, Criminal Minds, CSI (Las Vegas) CSI NY, and Blue Bloods, The Good Wife, etc. CBS, please pay attention to our age group. We are the ones who keep shows such as 60 Minutes on the air all these years. Our parents taught us to watch 60 Minutes so we could learn something intelligent Obviously it worked!

Bonnie March 31, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Love this show!

Jan March 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL CSI NY. we really enjoy this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim March 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Like many others I don’t watch the so-called reality shows. There is nothing real about them. CSI New York is one of the few cop shows that focus on crime investigation and justice rather than salacious sex and violence. Unlike Law and Order: SVU CSI New York isn’t disturbing and sick. Keep IT! We need less sex, not more, on television!

Terri March 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm

My husband, 21 year old daughter, and I have been watching CSI NY for years. We record the episodes and rewatch them often. It is one of the few shows left on TV that is actually thought provoking as we’ll as entertaining. My only suggestion is to get rid of Christine. Either she is a horrible actress or else her character has been poorly written, but each time she is in a scene, an audible groan is heard in our home. We much preferred the doctor Mac met at the deli.

Betty Anderson March 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

I am really disappointed about the show CSI New York. It is one of my favorite shows as well as my daughter’s and granddaughter’s. We look forward to watching it every Friday night. I hope you will reconsider and not cancel it. I don’t like the reality shows that are on. We don’t watch them as they are boring and silly. We like CSI New York over CSI.

Betty Anderson March 30, 2013 at 11:53 am

Personally, my daughter, granddaughter and I like to watch CSI New York. We like it better than CSI. We would be greatly disappointed if it is cancelled. We do not care for the reality shows that are on. We don’t watch them. I hope you will reconsider keeping CSI New York on. Thank you.

Chris March 30, 2013 at 9:50 am

Concerning thoughts of cancelling CSI NY; ARE YOU SERIOUS? CSI NY is one of the better pieces of TV entertainment there is and one cannot go wrong with this list of show-people, beginning with Gary Sinise. Have you been polling/listening to a variety-of-age group for your program information? IF NOT, you need to. REALITY TV is GAME SHOWS; NOT Big Brother, Biggest Loser, Survivor, Bachelor etc. – while the content may be worthwhile to some does NOT mean that they’re actually entertaining. Don’t you see that these are the reasons that the watching-publics turns to DIRECTV, DISH, COMCAST – people are seeking thought-provoking…from you to us, from us to you…entertainment. Again, before you make such a significiant determination, seek in-put from all age groups. (Please do not sell, share, give-away my email address – Thank You.)

Paula Pierce March 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I personally love CSI New York. Please don’t cancel it.

Janet March 29, 2013 at 10:25 am

Love CSI NY and would hate to see it go, all the reality shows and endless remakes of old shows are just boring, doesn’t anyone in TV have an imagination anymore? I know that the execs like to cater to the younger generation and that’s all well and good but the older folks like to watch TV too, not enough CSI NY, Bluebloods or shows like that on TV any more….

Leonard March 28, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I don’t agree with CBS to cancel CSI NY or CSI for that matter, they are entertaining and they have good plots and very good writing. The casts are very good. While you have made changes to the cast good choices were made. Most of the other show that are so called reality are boring,unappealing to me. I don’t watch any of them. I don’t think that 10 million viewers are something to take for granted, I have been loyal to CBS for years because to me they have the best entertainment on TV. I may not fall into your age slot I’m 53 but if you take away all that is good because it dipped a little in the ratings why watch TV.

todd March 28, 2013 at 11:45 am

i love csi ny and hope it stays on.i tape it every week so i can watch it.i go to work at 4 a.m. so i cant stay up to watch it.that is why i tape it.my son and i watch it on weekends.he loves it too.he is 11 years old.so keep it on.

Edie March 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

I agree with taking off the so called reallity shows, they are scripted and they are of non use and boring. The comedies like Big Bang tho the ratings show it popular, what about those of us that are of senior age. We like the mature drama type shows. We NEVER watch the reality shows or the so called comedy of Big Bang. As stated above to much sex and innuendo. If we wanted all the sex we would start up again in our own home. Just saying