Cupid: ABC Cancels Bobby Cannavale Remake, No Season Two

CupidTo no surprise, ABC has cancelled the low-rated remake of Cupid. Unfortunately, not enough viewers fell in love with the series.

Revolving around characters played by Bobby Cannavale, Sarah Paulson, Rick Gomez, and Camille Guaty, the show was a product of last year’s writers strike. ABC offered series creator Rob Thomas the opportunity to revisit the “brilliant but cancelled” Jeremy Piven series from 1998.

Unfortunately, times have changed and, as is often the case with remakes, the new Cupid didn’t live up to the reputation of the original. Many felt that the new show wasn’t as good as the original and it was obvious that network agreed. ABC cut its episode order, delayed the premiere, and then cut its order again. When the new Cupid did finally debut, it attracted a limited audience.

In any case, after a brief and low-rated run, ABC is passing on ordering another round. Some 10 years after they cancelled the original, they’re pulling the plug on the remake.

Only six of the seven produced episodes have aired. There may be a DVD release at some point and the “extra” episode would make a nice bonus. Of course, the original Cupid still hasn’t been released so fans shouldn’t hold their breath.

The biggest downside is that fans are left hanging. Unless Thomas decides to spill his secrets, once again we’re left to wonder how the Cupid story would have turned out.

Canceled and renewed TV show

61 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jessica says

I am very disappointed that Cupid was cancelled. I really enjoyed it (unfortunately I have loved all of Rob Thomas’ shows that are sadly cut short with no real ending…Veronica Mars.) They already have so many medical and criminal shows (and ridiculous realty) that it was really nice to watch one that was about romance, but was also witty. I will really miss it!

2. theduck0 says

Unfortunately, this edition of Cupid was nowhere near as good as the original (I loved the original). The casting wasn’t well done (Bobby Carnavale? as Cupid???), although the stories were OK. But for those of you that were wondering, Rob Thomas did reveal what the ending of the original was. Unsurprisingly, the 100th match would be between Claire and Trevor, who would renounce his godhood to stay with Claire. So the question of whether Trevor was really Cupid would never be answered, but it would have been a satisfying ending.

3. Angela says

I liked this show. It’s too bad they keep cheap, exploitive trash like 20/20 on, but can’t give a sweet, easy show like this a time slot.

4. Andy says

I thought this was an awesome show. Now this show was dropped for royal pains, from what I understand. Now royal pains is a good show, but seriously why would you cancel cupid. Its just blatently retarded, the reason you got poor ratings is because it was on to late, most of the people who would watch this show are in bed by then, because they work the next morning. Maybe you should really take into consideration every single show that you have on your station, obviously there is something that got horrible ratings, I mean seriously I only watch this channel for about 2 hours out of the 7 that i watch t.v. on a daily basis, all though it is still going to be 2, it would have been 3 if you were smart about it.

5. Jessi says

I’ve been watching Cupid ONLINE because 10 pm is too late!! Please bring back Cupid and put it on at 8 or 9 pm!!!!

6. Jazmin says

kaley mejiacita, I totally agree with you. The remake was absolutely fantastic! I’m truly going to miss it >=’ [

7. Norma says

I loved Cupid, It was refreshing to see how love, and attraction was the main storyline. I don’t watch much tv, but on Tuesday I would enjoy a fun, loving, playful show. I guess boring medical shows and dumb detective shows are what numb minded people with no sense of possible romance are into…I guess its back to my radio…

8. anonymous says

i LOVE watching cupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don`t understand why there were not more viewers?! shut up rotycop 3 nobody cares what you like ! if u don`t like it,build a bridge and get over it!!!!!! cupid is an awesome show . i`m addicted i like kyle xy to .

9. Kim says

Cupid is a great, fun whitty comedy show and I loved it! Quit with all the STUPID REALITY SHOWS!!! It is nice to be able to watch something to get out of this world and bad things going on at least for a moment. I don’t know what is wrong with all the stations lately but they cancel alot of good shows just to bring crap! All the good shows get cancelled and I am about ready to just give up on ABC, NBC FOX CBS and just stick with Cable channels.

10. Anonymous says

Cupid was a great show!!! Quit with all the STUPID REALITY Shows! We need shows that are fun and interesting that can get us out of this crazy world and bad things going on at least for a moment!

11. kaley mejiacita says

darn you robycop3. the remake of cupid was beautiful!!!! and darn you, abc, for not having faith and PATIENCE for this show. i wish claire and trevor were together. sigh. i dont like abc anymore. or abc family. especially after that gosh awful finale of kyle xy. you know what? i give up on tv all together. every good show gets cancelled. why bother?

12. the baron says

It had similiar chemistry to other shows that became cultish, probably should have been available on the net and would have developed itself better,afterall: everyones online nowadays any way. so abc just doesn’t have ther 21st century abcs’ together!

13. robycop3 says

So they cancelled “stupid”…er…”Cupid”. WHO CARES?

I questioned the wisdom of bringing back a once-failed show at all, let alone, one which had flopped badly ten years earlier, & it seems I was right this time.

Time to move on to something worth our viewing time. I woulda sooner watched a test pattern than this garbage. GOOD RIDDANCE!