Cupid: ABC Cancels Bobby Cannavale Remake, No Season Two

CupidTo no surprise, ABC has cancelled the low-rated remake of Cupid. Unfortunately, not enough viewers fell in love with the series.

Revolving around characters played by Bobby Cannavale, Sarah Paulson, Rick Gomez, and Camille Guaty, the show was a product of last year’s writers strike. ABC offered series creator Rob Thomas the opportunity to revisit the “brilliant but cancelled” Jeremy Piven series from 1998.

Unfortunately, times have changed and, as is often the case with remakes, the new Cupid didn’t live up to the reputation of the original. Many felt that the new show wasn’t as good as the original and it was obvious that network agreed. ABC cut its episode order, delayed the premiere, and then cut its order again. When the new Cupid did finally debut, it attracted a limited audience.

In any case, after a brief and low-rated run, ABC is passing on ordering another round. Some 10 years after they cancelled the original, they’re pulling the plug on the remake.

Only six of the seven produced episodes have aired. There may be a DVD release at some point and the “extra” episode would make a nice bonus. Of course, the original Cupid still hasn’t been released so fans shouldn’t hold their breath.

The biggest downside is that fans are left hanging. Unless Thomas decides to spill his secrets, once again we’re left to wonder how the Cupid story would have turned out.

son December 13, 2009 at 12:16 am

i am soooooo sad this show is over! i loved it!

julib55 December 5, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Count on ABC to can the good shows. I doubt we’ll see *V* resume in March, and they’ll probably pull *Flash Forward* now that it’s finally hit its stride.

muriel November 7, 2009 at 9:37 am

BRING CUPID BACK P-P-P-PLEASE!

Lori October 26, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I remember watching the original Cupid series with Jeremy Piven and was thrilled when I saw a remake coming. I liked this very much as well – it is a cute concept and the characters were interesting. I was sorry to see it cancelled, once again :(

Ptrope October 17, 2009 at 11:43 pm

No great loss – this remake was a pale impression of the original. The leads had no chemistry at all, Bobby Cannavale was certainly no Jeremy Piven; since they largely reused scripts from the original, which I have on tape, it was clear how weak the performances were – it looked like a bad high school attempt at performing a good play.

ABC really just needed to re-air the original, and they also need to get that show out on DVD.

dany October 6, 2009 at 9:45 pm

although i agree cupid was interesting, it was too predictable. every episode was about two people who needed cupid’s help to be together. oh the suspense! the only reason i kept watching was to find out if this dude is actually a god of if he’d a lunatic

Beverly September 28, 2009 at 6:12 pm

I miss Cupid!

B September 23, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I loved this show – bummer – I can’t believe ABC cancelled it. I thought Trevor and Claire were really cute. Even my hubby was into it, which says alot! ABC reconsider and bring Cupid back!

michelle September 23, 2009 at 9:10 pm

well I did not watch when it was on tv…but watched on abc.com and I have to say you grow to love the characters and was good. I am sad to see it go and wished at least for some closure….

Q September 23, 2009 at 10:47 am

BRING IT BACK!! STUPID ABC…

Jae September 5, 2009 at 3:44 am

wtf!!!!!! stop cancelling shows that rock!!!!!!!
this show is so sweet and it makes me feel happy watching it
i wish i found it sooner!!! why the hell is valentine still on? now that show sux!

Star September 1, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I really liked cupid it was funny and it really made people think what love is. I didn’t know this was a remake i have never seen the original but this was a great show for all viewers, like Niki Bahia Says ” it gave me hope and faith when i was giving up on relationships.” That’s what this show did these were real people falling in love, it made us think one day that will happen to me. For ABC to canceled it when the first season didn’t even finish was very wrong, for the people who at least watched it should have been able to see the unfinished story no will never know. Unless ABC reconsiders and brings it back work with make it better, if you think it needs fixing in my opinion i feel it needs no fixing but please it was a good show to watch. I never really watched ABC until Cupid came on i saw it and said ” wow this is a pretty good show” i added it to my list of shows to watch when i saw it was not on anymore i couldn’t believe it here’s a show that really means something to people and they canceled it because they can and they didn’t think it was good enough. If you make better shows don’t just end it make it better how hard can that be. Please how bad would it hurt?

Amber August 26, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I hate that this show was cancelled. Makes me so mad that anything that does not have killing or half naked people is not allowed on TV any more! No wonder kids these days are getting so messed up, The only choices we have on TV are horrible inappropiate shows that kids should not be watching. Bring Cupid back!!!! the audience will get bigger as people get sick of CSI!!!!!

Lindsay August 19, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I loved this show, I’m really sad it won’t be back. I really want to know if Trevor was delusional are the real thing!!! PLEASE RECONSIDER ABC! BRING BACK CUPID!!!

Nikki Bahia August 11, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I’m Sorry , but I have been looking forward to the next show for two weeks and am very pissed off that it has been cancelled. The show gave me hope and faith when I was giving up on relationships. Bobby Cannavale character is an angel that I dream off all my life, that will knock some sense back into me when it comes to relationships. All these T.V Production people or whatever they are, need to try to understand their audience a lot more and they need to give their creations a lot more credit then what they have given them. They should take the story line from the first episode “Pilot” in realizing that everything takes time and the impossible could happen at anytime. To Dream a Dream to is to make it happen. Please put it back on air. I’ve always wanted a cupid in my life I finally found one on T.V and you guys from ABC have taken him away…It’s not his looks that I’m talking about it’s his character and personality that give people like me some reassurance to believe. And he also carries that through all his other characters that he’s played from ColdCase to Thrid Watch to Ally McBeal. PLEASE GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PUT IT ON LATE AT NIGHT…..