Curb Your Enthusiasm: HBO Optimistic About Season Nine

Curb Your Enthusiasm season nineWhile a long hiatus will typically hurt a TV show’s ratings, it seems like one may have helped Curb Your Enthusiasm. The HBO series has been seeing some seven year highs based on the first three installments of season eight. Creator and star Larry David has taken the news with his trademark neuroses. HBO sent him emails about the good news and he responded with, “What does it mean? Is it the lead-in? Is it the show?”

As is usually the case, the future of the HBO series is up in the air and depends on what David wants to do. At the current critics press tour, HBO execs said that they expect him to decide if he wants to do another season at the end of the summer, when he returns from vacation.

But Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, told Deadline, “We’re cautiously optimistic… for the first time ever after this season Larry didn’t say ‘I never want to do this again.’”

Curb Your Enthusiasm is currently in its eighth season which is made up of 10 episodes. The season finale is scheduled to air on September 11th (along with True Blood’s).

What do you think? Are you hoping for season nine? How long should Curb Your Enthusiasm continue?

bruce campbell March 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

America needs you.

Richard Castruita August 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Larry is the best ever funnyman!!!! Larry can go on forrever and I will watch forever!!!!!!

Anonymous September 27, 2013 at 11:52 pm

ditto

elisa May 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

My hubby told me HBO had already ran the series finale- so glad he is wrong. Luv, luv , luv Curb! Find myself in “Larry” moments all the time & can’t wait for another season so I can laugh more. Look forward to seeing more. Great writing!

Mary February 12, 2012 at 12:33 am

Please, please come back, Larry! I miss you.

Ok ..don’t ever come back you POS! I hate your guts!

Whatever ..
It’s your show after all. But hurry!

ritajean mellon June 2, 2012 at 5:25 am

Please come back ! can’t do without the laughter!funny funny funny

smartman November 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I am happy to see the return of curb your enthusiasm, however I’m still waiting on HBO to renew Big Love and stop showing the series over from its beginning

Ben October 5, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I could possibly be the biggest Larry David/ Curb fan going… I have watched them all from the start and have them all on DVD, but Season 8 just hasn’t really delivered. Even the episode with Ricky Gervais which I was eagerly awaiting, was a bit flat.

I think it has gone one too many… loved season 7.

Interesting point to note, this is the first season that Larry has employed other writers!
I think he should go back to just him, cos whatever they did this season… ain’t workin!

Kathy August 13, 2011 at 1:14 am

Love the show -please do not give up. The audience has grown and is getting bigger. So many fans- goLarry go! In honesty so many people can identify and laugh along with Larry. The show has a kind of dry hmour that many viewers laugh about – now is the time that so many people are discovering this show and it would be a shame for it to end prematurely. I believe it has taken this much time for the discovery of a jewel and I believe this show has a bright future.

Pat Griffin August 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I have HBO simply for “Curb”, the best show on tv!

Anonymous August 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

as long as we don’t have to wait 2 years again. I practically lose interest in the show waiting for that long.

Mike July 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm

…this show IS the only reason i have HBO. not to pressure the “execs”, cause if Larry doesnt want to…he wont! i say a season nine, then ONE final blow out show for season ten.

Erica S. July 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I cannot understand why everyone thinks that this season of “Curb” is so great? This is not a popular opinion, but I believe that if “Curb” would have ended after season five it would have been sitcom perfection. It has gone on too long and it is getting stale.

Gary C. August 2, 2011 at 4:30 am

I agree with you Erica. I’ve enjoyed the previous seasons but I’m having a hard time with this one.

hugh g rection July 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Curb is great and the only reason I have HB O. I will call my cable provider and cancel HBO when the season is over. Ive done it this way since I first learned of this very funny show

Dee July 30, 2011 at 9:57 am

I have the first 3 seasons on DVD. It’s difficult to watch more than 2-3 eps one-after-the-other cuz of the constant bickering. And when I first started to watch, I saw zero chemistry between Larry David and his on-screen wife, Cheryl. Watching her improvise her lines, she sounds (still does, but it’s a bit better now) like a mere acquaintance of Larry’s, not his wife. Aside from that, I think the show is funny!

John July 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

This show is among the best show ever made period. I will watch every show until they stop making them.

Jeremy Rynek July 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Well as long it’ll go. I didn’t have HBO when it started. So I didn’t get to watch the early years. But from what I saw it’s really funny.