CW Ratings Race: Is Beauty and the Beast the New Secret Circle?

Beauty and the Beast canceled soon?Last year, it looked like The Secret Circle was a perfect match with The CW’s most popular series, The Vampire Diaries. Unfortunately, the ratings dwindled as the season progressed.

Despite having a very strong and compatible lead-in, by the end of the season, Secret Circle wasn’t doing any better than some of The CW’s other shows. The network cancelled it.

This season, it looks like Beauty and the Beast is going to have a similar story. It debuted to a 1.2 demo rating and is currently pulling in just a 0.6 rating. If this continues, the show’s averages will keep dropping — faster than Secret Circle’s did.

Unless the ratings turn around, I suspect Beauty and the Beast will be cancelled after one season. To date, The CW has ordered only 13 episodes. They commissioned three additional scripts but there’s certainly no guarantee that they’ll have them produced.

What do you think? Share your comments below.

Here are The CW season averages as of Thursday, November 1, 2012:

Hart of Dixie 0.6 (0.58) 1.37 season 2 ratings
America’s Next Top Model 0.5 (0.50) 1.25 cycle 18 ratings
90210 0.5 (0.47) 0.97 season 5 ratings
Gossip Girl (final season) 0.4 (0.40) 0.84 season 6 ratings
Emily Owens, MD 0.4 (0.37) 1.27 season 1 ratings
Nikita 0.3 (0.25) 0.88 season 3 ratings

These charts incorporate the daily final CW show ratings (reported by Nielsen) and are sorted by the 18-49 demographic. Network advertisers typically prize those viewers most and so will pay more to reach them. There’s lots of information that the networks take into consideration when cancelling or renewing a TV series but the ratings are the biggest factor. The higher the ratings, the better chance that the show will be renewed. And yes, they take it into account when a show airs on Friday nights

Check out our CW show page for the current status of various shows.

Want more posts like this? Here are the other networks: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC

NotaKid November 4, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Beauty and the Beast is much better than TSC.
TSC was designed for kids. BATB is more adult and overall the better show.

Davers November 4, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Stopped watching this a while ago but still see bits and pieces here and there when my daughter watches it. Awful. Only cw can take a classic about a how a one can see the inner goodness in a ‘beast’ and have the beast played by a sexy stud of a guy. I cant believe anybody finds that acceptable. Totally destroys the point of all the BatB shows movies, stoires in the past. No idea why the bothered calling it BatB.

Spence November 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I’m liking Beauty and the Beast so far, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s meets the same fate as The Secret Circle did last season. I really liked that show and was sadened when it got cancelled. However, with Gossip Girl ending and possibly 90210 on it’s way out too, I could see BatB standing a chance if it keeps getting 0.6′s or higher. Besides, the show is performing better than most other shows on The CW.

Anonymous part 2 November 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Give BATB a chance I want to see more of Catherine and Vincent together I love the original BATB but this show is good to watch better then the Emily Owens show!

NLE November 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I think BATB found its footing in the fourth (most recent) episode. I will continue to watch it, having been a huge fan of the original 1980s series with Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton. I think the actors in this version are well-cast and that the show has the potential to do great things – it just needs time. I can think of more than one successful show that had a rocky beginning. I hope the CW will give this a chance and not just rely on the first 12-15 episode ratings when making a final decision.

Mark November 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

You have to delete the shows that have a listen too low. Numbers are numbers, and the majority is always right. K.k. is not a good actress and B&B was boring and Bad …..cancel!!!

dallas November 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

Really? BatB is awesome. I watched the original one long time ago. This one is great. My 10 yr old loves it & can follow it just fine. Secret Circle was great. I loved that show. No one gives the shows a fair chance but keeps the other crappy shows around. Who cares about top models? I don’t. Just give it some time to develop

Me November 4, 2012 at 8:40 am

I liked secret circle and watched the whole season, wasn’t as good as the books and definitly not as good as the vampire diaries. As far as Beauty and the Beast, It’s just starting and I’m really enjoying this show so I’m hoping they at least give it a chance.

erin November 4, 2012 at 8:24 am

No Beauty And The Best Should Not Be Canceled Beauty And The Best The best show

Sheila Hayes November 4, 2012 at 5:53 am

I hope it doesn’t get canceled was a fan of the old series and now I am a fan of the new one!

RsC November 4, 2012 at 3:54 am

It’s too early to tell but I hope BATB continues because I’m really getting into it. It’s still doing better than most of the other shows on CW. The other thing is not everyone watches TV now. There’s online, iTunes, DVR .. I also think its unfair to compare TSC with BATB. It’s a different audience altogether.

Christopher M. November 3, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Give BatB a chance guys. Geez.

Joe November 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm

TSC sucked and it`s fans are very annoying. trolling all over the internet.
FYI, TSC were more expensive to produce than BATB. and the worldwide distribution for Beauty is better than TSC.

Tyrel November 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm

The Secret Circle was 10 x better than Beauty & the Beast. Sure TSC had its problems, but the series showed promise. B&tB was awful from the start. Watched all the episodes so far, but can’t stomach it any more. It must be only made for girls between 14 and 17.

Anonymous November 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I watched the entire Season of Secret Circle and enjoyed it, though it wasnt as good as Vampire Diaries I thought the show would continue to improve. I did try to watch Beauty and the Beast and was rather dissapointed with the first episode so havent watched any more.