CW 2013-14 Season Ratings [updated 4/16/14]

cw-tv-show-ratingsOf the five networks, The CW has the fewest hours of primetime to fill but they’re not finding it any easier to find hits. Most of their returning shows are way down year-to-year and some of their new series are struggling. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CW shows this season (so far): The 100, Arrow, Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Hart of Dixie, Nikita, The Originals, Reign, Supernatural, The Tomorrow People, The Vampire Diaries, and Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

How does The CW decide what to cancel or renew? They look at a lot of different factors but the ratings play an important role. The higher the ratings, the better chance a show has of surviving. Here’s how the network’s shows are doing so far:

Check the other networks’ season rankings: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are therefore supposedly harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays or Saturday, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make room for something else?

Krissia October 21, 2013 at 9:19 am

I really hope reign doesn’t get cancelled. Forgetting all the historical inaccuracies but maybe not the costumes (horrendous) the whole ghost/Nostradamus twist on the show is what has me hooked. The show is good if you’re not a stickler for all the history stuff. Hopefully the costumes turn to look like the promo pics later on.

Heather October 21, 2013 at 2:25 am

I hope they don’t cancelled vampire diaries or beauty and the beast

Anonymous October 20, 2013 at 1:12 am

I love beauty and the beast and hart of Dixie!! please don’t cancel these shows! All of my shows always get canceled. Please don’t cancel these shows!!

Brandy October 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

VD is still CW highest rated show

AGAMA October 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

I don’t want BATB to be cancelled!!It’s a great show and this secons season is awesome!

Annie October 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

The tables won’t show up until you are logged in googledocs. Once you login in your browser, all of them start showing (this is for all 5 articles). Great work with compiling the stats!

admin October 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hmmmm… interesting theory but I don’t think so. I’ve tried viewing the charts on different computers and browsers. In some cases I’ve been logged in to Google, mostly not. I think the issue is that some browsers or browser plug-ins have an issue with iframes. I’ve started including links under the charts as a second option.

Glad you like the stats! :)

Kate Fredericks October 21, 2013 at 2:44 am

I told you (Admin) before that I have the 8.9 HD Kindle and Silk must really like the way you set up the charts. Getting the next gen Kindle when it is available in early dec. I will let you know if that one likes your set up as well (sincerely hoping!).

Would this be a problem between the browser and flash? When using a full computer, it is imperative to keep them both updated. I generally use my tablet for most things now because I started having too many issues w/the Adobe Flash and the other one (slips my mind, I am sure Admin knows the name) clashing. If you have a tablet, you might do better. In another social website we always talk about the fact that technology keeps running too far ahead of the apps upon which we use said technology which keeps us all in crash mode!

admin October 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

No, there’s no Flash involved with the charts. They are embedded Google spreadsheets that use something called iframe. It’s pretty simple stuff but for some reason, some browser configurations have a hard time with it. For this reason, I’ve started providing links to see the charts on a seperate page, without the iframe code.

erin October 16, 2013 at 11:40 am

ANTM HAS BEEN ON THE CW NETWORK FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND THE CW NETWORK IS PUSHING THE OTHER SHOW TO THE BBUBBLE AND DECIDEING WEATHER OR NOT TO CANCEL WHAT SHOW AND now look at the CW CANCELATIONS TO GG NKITA 90210 And One Tree HILL

erin October 16, 2013 at 11:05 am

YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY HART OF DIXIE BABY THE ORINGALS BABY NKITA BABY ANTM OVERATED ANTM CANCELATIONS PLEASE

johnny October 16, 2013 at 2:38 am

Tomorrows people and the Originals Suck they are both Knock offs of other shows boring as Heck

courtney October 16, 2013 at 2:36 am

I hope Hart of Dixie gets Cancelled I actually like BATB I was surprised I would like that show TBH. BATB has a lot of Action, Its Dark and Hot Romance. Of course they got Lana Lang Kristin kreuk

kris October 16, 2013 at 2:30 am

Beauty and the BEast is Really Stepping up this Season Its’ actually better then the first season. People need to give it chance

Anthony Bassien-Capsa October 16, 2013 at 2:16 am

I think that Beauty and the Beast and Hart of Dixie will probably be cancelled, since it has the lowest numbers of this network!

Brandy October 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm

HoD is /should be safe cause of syndication

CJ October 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I like Beauty and the beast a lot, this first episode of the second season is really good, but i think the vampire diaries is the same in season 3 season 4 and now season 5 nothing new nothing better…is the same!! Arrow and Beauty and the beast are the best en CW right now!!

Kate Fredericks October 21, 2013 at 2:09 am

I completely agree with CJ. Vampire Diaries is getting stale. The new Originals was OK until they killed off Elijah. Supernatural still the best, and Beauty and the Beast had a rough start but is now getting its feet and putting out a very good story, Arrow is my #2 after Supernatural. Since the mother company of CBS now owns CW, more aggressive advertising on the CBS network shows would help! Oh, I forgot Hart of Dixie. I simply love that show! CBS? How about some help from your very successful shows for CW?

K October 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

Beauty and the beast is, not surprisingly, struggling. I watched most of the first season but it starts to feel melodramatic and campy, not in a good way. There are enough shows with forbidden romance and mythical bad guy conspiracies on tv that are far better than beauty and the beast.

anna October 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

have u watched the second season? a totally different show!! do watch it, you will be more than pleasantly surprised. watch episodes 1 and 2 on cw and you are definitely then gonna want to watch episode 3 on monday! give a try, it is a totally different show this season!

CK October 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm