CW 2013-14 Season Ratings (updated 9/20/14)

cw-tv-show-ratingsOf the five networks, The CW has the fewest hours of primetime to fill but they’re not finding it any easier to find hits. Most of their returning shows are way down year-to-year and some of their new series are struggling. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CW shows this season (so far): The 100, America’s Next Top Model, Arrow, Backpackers, Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Famous in 12, Hart of Dixie, Masters of Illusion, Nikita, The Originals, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, Reign, Seed, Supernatural, The Tomorrow People, The Vampire Diaries, and Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

How does The CW decide what to cancel or renew? They look at a lot of different factors but the ratings play an important role. The higher the ratings, the better chance a show has of surviving. Here’s how the network’s shows are doing so far:

Check other networks’ rankings: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are therefore supposedly harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays or Saturday, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make room for something else?

Kevin December 6, 2013 at 3:57 am

Enough on Carrie Diarie and B & B!!! The 4 best shows on CW are Nikita, Arrow, Originals and Tommorow People!!! I hope Originals and Tommorow people stick around and get repeated over the summer!!! They currently are schedualed in bad time slots for my DVR!!! And CW doesnt offer On Demand!!!

Lori Sals December 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I’m a 46 yr old and I love this show. I came across it on Netflix and was able to start watching season 2. Many of my 40+ friends are now watching it also and we love the complex relationship of Cat and Vincent, it has it all action, romance, tension and I love the roller coaster ride it takes us on. I feel the writers have allowed the watcher to really feel vested in the characters. I really hope this shows makes it to season 3 and that the CW will advertise this show MORE and maybe more 40+ demo will watch it. I never even knew it was TV.

erin December 3, 2013 at 10:58 am

Always Loved Carrie Daires Baby! Please reboot Carrie Daires back to season 1 and season 2 with a 22 epsiodes I am getting exhaused with ANTM it is probably best to remove ANTM on the weekend timelots then the weekdays ANTM is way too high for the weekeday lots and that is a huge conflict with the primetime shows on cw network and that caused 92010 and GG to be cancel at the same time what I don’t get is why ANTM raitings are too high and that casued the cw network to cancel 90210 And GG at the same time while the 90210 and GG raitings were dropping way down

Anonymous December 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I,m a 46 year old female and Beauty & The Beast is my current favorite show. I never even knew about this show because it’s not really advertised much by the network. I only stumbled upon it on Netflix and was able to start watching season 2. Several of my girlfriends are now watching it to. This show has it all, action, love, romance and me and my friends LOVE it. I hope you pick it up for season 3.

Seraphina December 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I am truly hoping that Beauty and the Beast will pick up more viewers in 2014 and eventually get a renewal for Season 3. The show is currently my #1 show and I love pretty much all aspects of it! I am always eager to see the next new episode and I really want to delve deeper into the mythology surrounding Vincent’s beast side. I know some of the viewers were turned off by how the pilot episode was executed, and if you are one of them, please give BatB another chance as it has developed immensely! The action, drama, and romance is all there and will make you anticipate what’s going to happen next! Please continue developing this excellent t.v. show! And just a side note, continue to vote for BatB and our lovely actress Kristin Kreuk in the PCAs!

Dee Dee November 26, 2013 at 11:55 am

I thought the season finale of Beauty and the Beast was one of the best and most exciting season finale of any of the t.v. series. “Man or Beast” was an excellent episode and now we have to wait on pins and needles until January for the show to return. I love the new story arc and it was very unpredictable. Outstanding episode and I am very much looking forward to the January Premiere of Season 2 of this very interesting and exciting show. If the CW cancels this show they will be making a big mistake. Beauty and the Beast is even better than Arrow and Vampire Diaries. Can’t get over what a mesmerizing season finale “Man or Beast” was. Keep the action going and this series should definitely get renewed for a Third Season.

Someone November 17, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Don’t cancel “Beauty and the beast”, please. It is the best show right now… all others are too boring to waste my time watching them.

Buffygirl November 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I agree with you 100%. “Beauty and the Beast” is definitely the best show on the CW. Each episode gets more exciting each week.

Dee Dee November 17, 2013 at 9:17 am

OMG – I hate the Carrie Diaries – it’s a “STUPID” show and should be cancelled permanently. The show has no substance and is completely boring.

forester November 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

LOVE The Carrie Diaries! Such a cute show and I can’t wait to see what happens now that Carrie has met Samantha! :)

Jen Rose November 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm

PLEASE CANCEL THE CARRIE DIARIES,I FREAKIN HATE THE SHOW ALOT. THE BEST SHOW ON THE CW IS BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.ITS MY NUMBER 1 SHOW I LOVE WATCHING!!! PLEASE CW KEEP IT ON TV!!!

Dee Dee November 14, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’m with you. Can’t stand Carrie Diaries and never watch it. The previews are stupid and it’s pretty boring from just watching the previews. If the CW has to get rid of a show, then please dump Carrie Diaries. The best show on the CW right now is “Beauty and The Beast”. It’s my #1 favorite show too. Love this show. Arrow is another boring show as is Vampire Diaries and Reign.

Catlady November 11, 2013 at 3:29 pm

If you have to cancel something, then cancel “The Carrie Diaries”. This is a stupid show and even my 18 year old niece said it’s dumb. Please don’t cancel “Beauty and The Beast”. This show has everything and I love watching Jay and Kristin – the chemistry between them is awesome. “Beauty & The Beast” is an intelligent show that has everything and the acting is excellent.

Vanessa Santos November 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm

If you must cancel some of this shows, just cancel Beauty and the Beast and The Carrie Diaries. The other shows are really great. I know the ratings are not good but please don’t cancel Hart of Dixie or Reign.

Vicki October 29, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Please don’t cancel Beauty and the Beast, best show on tv ever!!! Jay and Kristin produce something special on that show and it would be such a shame not to see them anymore!!

Buffygirl October 28, 2013 at 9:01 am

OMG – I just love Season 2 of Beauty & The Beast. Please don’t cancel this show – it’s just too good and getting better with each episode. This show is amazing and I love it because it has everything. The chemistry between Catherine and Vincent is so wonderful. Great show and continues to impress.

Sallly October 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Vampire Diaries,dont put elana back with stefan it will ruin the show

Bee October 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm

dont cancel beauty and the beast ,please