CW 2013-14 Season Ratings

cw-tv-show-ratingsOf the five networks, The CW has the fewest hours of primetime to fill but they’re not finding it any easier to find hits. Most of their returning shows are way down year-to-year and some of their new series are struggling. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CW shows this season (so far): The 100, America’s Next Top Model, Arrow, Backpackers, Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Famous in 12, Hart of Dixie, Masters of Illusion, Nikita, The Originals, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, Reign, Seed, Supernatural, The Tomorrow People, The Vampire Diaries, and Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

How does The CW decide what to cancel or renew? They look at a lot of different factors but the ratings play an important role. The higher the ratings, the better chance a show has of surviving. Here’s how the network’s shows are doing so far:

Check other networks’ rankings: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are therefore supposedly harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays or Saturday, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make room for something else?

Canceled and renewed TV show

480 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jibu Vargas says

Man I am so pissed Tomorrow People and Star Crossed got cancelled.Why? Why do they make the TV series and leave us hanging half way? This happened for tv series “V”. I am pissed.

2. pete says

Renewed really – how did they determine a shows rating that continues to drop year-over-year and currently viewer ratings below 0.50 (e.g. Hart of Dixie, Beauty and the Beast) baffles me;
    Some fresh new shows deserve a second season, interesting plot & new content (e.g. The Tomorrow People, Star Crossed); They moved Tomorrow People from Wed to another timeslot to help promote another new show but instead hurt Tomorrow People ratings, so go figure.
    I supposed that renews usually depend on potential Commercial Advertiser ($) support for shows that have wider age demographics and more conservative storylines to attract Advertisers.
    For example, I watched Beauty and the Beast (Season-1) but second season the storyline got old and characters switched love-interest was unbelievable, seem like the writers lack long-term creativity, as most shows struggle extended storylines when going into 2nd+ seasons, plus the good writers move onto other shows as well.

3. Laura Cordis says

I can not believe The CW is canceling ‘Star Crossed’ and ‘The Tomorrow People’ just to air crap like ‘Jane the Virgin’ and ‘Famous in 12′ I am so upset, how can we make then realize their mistake and change their minds? It just isn’t right!!

• Kirk says

I wonder the same thing… not that I was not watching Beauty & the Beast, but I wouldn’t mind if it was finished, since I don’t find it as exciting as the old classic series. But in the other hand… Tomorrow People makes feel sad, to lose.

• Aaron says

I feel the same way. I love both shows but the tomorrow people was one of the best shows they have. I watch it on hulu or my Apple TV usually at crazy hours but I’ve seen every episode..so I’m not watching it on tv but I’m still paying for it. The effects are very well done for tv. As for the 100… What a load of crap. Effects are really bad and writing is horrible. Beauty and the beast is a better show then the 100. The tomorrow people season 2 finally was great with so many cliff hangers….now what are we going to do?

4. Anonymous says

BATB is the LOWEST ever but they keep this trash but cancel shows that rate higher..It really is about POLITICS, is what I heard..Due to their OVER-SEA’S sales and CBS owning BATB also..The show ratings says it all. NO-ONE is even really watching this crappy show, not really..

• anonymous says

I happen to LOVE Beauty and the Beast, so stop with the negative comments! I’m sorry the other shows got cancelled, but everyone has different tastes, so show some respect! Start an online petition to save your favorire show or e- mail the CW. Use your time in a better and more mature way!

• Bob says

Exactly! I love it too and all the others complaining about the show can go start their silly little petition and wineeee

5. Rosmey says

So whos line is it anyway nd hart of dixie are still up but they cancelled thr carrie diaries, thr tomorrow people and star crossed? Whats wrong woth you. Hart of dixie is the worst show ever, nd people like action not whose line is it anyways. This sucks

• lois says

I agree with you about Hart of dixie but people get mad when people is the worst show and it get renewed. Like the tcd and ttp.

6. Dave B says

It doesn’t make any sense to renew Beauty and the Beast and Cancel The Tomorrow People.
    It just sad. What is wrong with these people? They moved the show from following Arrow, to Monday? Then cancel it, %!#?

7. tabitha says

Can’t believe star crossed is over for good. It was such an amazing show. Screw CW I will not be watching anymore of the shows i have been watching on the CW network from now on. Star crossed wasn’t given a chance. Makes me upset that shows with lower ratings were renewed all this tells me is that rating don’t matter.

8. Cara says

I agree with Holly!! Star Crossed is the best show on cw other then vampire diaries and supernatural! The Cw is making poor decisions.. was my favorite tv network but now I think its time I find a new one!! Heres a petion to get #starcrossed back. Even if The CW Doesnt take it back yy urged fsdtheres a chance another network might. Its happend before! http://www.change.org/petitions/cw-network-mark-pedowitz-cbs-corporation-renew-star-crossed-for-a-second-season?lang=en-US&recruiter=87216041&utm_campaign=twitter_link_action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition Every signature helps! #savestarcrossed check out this facebook pagehttps://m.facebook.com/stargazersfansofstarcrossed They are fighting to get this show back!!

9. holly says

I LOVE YOU STAR CROSSED AND I WILL MISS YOU HATING THE CW PEOPLE YOU GUYS SUCK I THINK THERE SHOULB BE A 2 SEASON JUST LIKE THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 2 SEASON FOR SECRET CIRCLE YOU PEOPLE ARE CRUSHING PEOPLES DREAM THE BEST SHOWS EVER ARE STAR CROSSED THE 100 VAMPIRE DIARIES REIGN THE ORIGNALS SUPERNATURAL SO SCREW HART OF DIXIE THE TOMMOROW PEOPLE ARROW CARRIES DIARIES AND BEAUTY AND THE BEAST!!!!!!

10. Kirk says

I can’t agree more! Even if I was big fun of Beauty and Beast, on the last episodes became too “soft”. And seems that I am not the only one who doesn’t care about this series anymore… the rates are too low. You should keep at least The Tomorrow People, even Star Crossed reminded me, old nice Sci-fi series that were big hit back then and compared to other series in the CW, they didn’t go that bad either. big loss is the Tomorrow People that had very good story line and good line-up to support it.