CW 2013-14 Season Ratings (updated 9/1/14)

cw-tv-show-ratingsOf the five networks, The CW has the fewest hours of primetime to fill but they’re not finding it any easier to find hits. Most of their returning shows are way down year-to-year and some of their new series are struggling. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CW shows this season (so far): The 100, America’s Next Top Model, Arrow, Backpackers, Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Famous in 12, Hart of Dixie, Masters of Illusion, Nikita, The Originals, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, Reign, Seed, Supernatural, The Tomorrow People, The Vampire Diaries, and Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

How does The CW decide what to cancel or renew? They look at a lot of different factors but the ratings play an important role. The higher the ratings, the better chance a show has of surviving. Here’s how the network’s shows are doing so far:

Check other networks’ rankings: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are therefore supposedly harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays or Saturday, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make room for something else?

IMC January 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I like the new direction Beauty and the Beast is going and hope the CW keeps it so we can see where the writers take us.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST FAN 1 January 14, 2014 at 10:22 am

PLEASE CW KEEP BEAUTY AND THE BEAST ON TV!!! I LOVES IT

sabrina January 14, 2014 at 2:18 am

hi there you guys apparently to save beauty and the beast for getting a season 3 you have to sign a petition already 6,707 supporters from around the world have already sign the petition and i even have signed i ask my family to do it friends I think we should also write a letter Mark Pedowitz to let him know how we feel and that we want another third season this show is so popular here in france oh my god don’t even get me started

Diana January 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

Sabrina – Is Mark Pedowitz located at the CW? I’d love to write a letter to him telling him how much this show is loved and should be renewed for a 3rd season. Please let me know his address or email address. Thanks.

Vicki January 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I can’t believe all the comments about how Vincent and Catherine’s love story is falling apart and it’s bad for the show. This show is fighting for its survival and if there wasn’t conflict and drama in their love relationship why would we watch. Once you put the characters in love, happily ever after mode, there’s no story. The story like life is about loving someone and struggling to maintain that love with all the problems of real life. I love the romance and the love scenes, but they have to be pulled apart to make the audience get mad and passionate about getting them back together. I want the show to survive and I think the writers needed to be harsh on their relationship and put obstacles in their way.
I think the CW network decided they didn’t want this show and has done everything to get rid of it. They put them in a rotten time slot and they don’t advertise the show as much as they do their other shows. The fans would like this show to continue and have been asking the CW not to put them on hiatus and they are not listening. It took me 3 or 4 years before I became a fan of Supernatural and now I love it. I also love Arrow, and I’m trying to get into Reign, but if they get rid of B&TB I will never watch the CW network again.

Buffygirl January 10, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I agree with you 100% Vicki. The CW is committing murder if they don’t keep this wonderful series. It’s just beginning to take off and each episode in S1 and S2 has been great. I look forward to seeing #BATB every week. It’s well written, adult and has everything (romance, mystery, sci/fi, crime and I love the detective part of it too). I like Arrow too, but can’t get into Reign and I don’t watch The Vampire diaries anymore either. It’s not holding my attention this past season. I don’t get sick of #BATB and I’ve just received the DVD which I’m enjoying also. “Arrow”, in my opinion, is not any better than Batb and I have noticed that the CW doesn’t promote BATB like it does Arrow, Reign, The Originals and The Vampire Diaries. I’m hoping they see what a good series BATB is and renew it for a 3rd Season. It will definitiely make the fans of this wonderful show very happy.

Buffygirl January 9, 2014 at 8:07 am

It’s in the hands of the writers and Producer Brad Kern now as to the fate of BatB. It’s up to the writers to pen some magic because they’ve got approximately 6 weeks to write some excellent story lines for BatB and get those ratings up. It looks like it was a bad move to change up this story line now and split up Cat and Vincent. The writers better think of something to put this show back on it’s feet because the darkness of Season 2 has put the fans and the show in a terrible place. The show will get cancelled if the writers don’t work some magic. Things better change fast after the upcoming new episode 2.09 on Jan. 13, “Don’t Die On Me”. If it doesn’t, then it’s going to be bye bye to a wonderful series. I for one will be very upset and sad because I love Kristin and Jay and was hoping to see more of them together with the rest of the cast of BatB. Writers, please get your minds and pens to work and put the magic back into BatB. Thanks for reading my comment and sorry to be so long winded..

Nana Ames January 8, 2014 at 11:51 pm

THE CW HAS PROBLEMS WITH THEIR SHOWS BECAUSE THEY DON’T STICK TO WHAT THE VIEWERS LIKE.. WE FIND A SHOW (LIKE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST) THAT WE LIKE, AND WHAT DO THEY DO, CHANGE THE WHOLE THING SO IT’S NOT EVEN THE SAME SERIES….

WHAT I WAS SO IN LOVE WITH BEAUTY AND THE BEAST LAST SEASON IS COMPLETELY GONE THIS SEASON.. WHY? A STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER TO A WHINNY BRAT..IF SHE SAYS “I AM SO SORRY ” ONE MORE TIME I WILL THROW SOMETHING AT THE TV!

AND THE MALE LEAD, I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR HIM, HE IS A ROBOT KILLING MACHINE.. NO SCAR, NO REASON TO CARE WHAT HE IS ABOUT.. THE COSTARS WE LOVED HAS BE REDUCED TO PROPS..

AS SOON AS THEY BROUGHT NEW WRITERS IN WITH NEW IDEAS THE SHOW WENT FROM GREAT, I WILL WATCH THREE OR FOUR TIMES A WEEK, TO “WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE CHARACTERS I FELL IN LOVE WITH” TO THIS MISMASH THAT IS ON NOW..AND THEY WONDER WHY THE NUMBER DROP…

PEOPLE YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF, AND ALSO WE THE FANS OF THE SHOW, KICKED TO THE CURB, ONE MORE TIME!!!

FROM NOW ON IT’S MOVIES FOR ME, FORGET SERIES TV!!

Fay January 8, 2014 at 7:25 am

As long as Beauty and the Beast stays, I’m happy. I believe Season 2 will get better so please don’t give up on it yet.

bonnie January 8, 2014 at 6:16 am

beauty and the beast, all the way for me!

Dee January 8, 2014 at 9:08 am

I feel the same way Bonnie – It’s BatB all the way for me too.

lee January 8, 2014 at 5:48 am

i wAnt to see batb and arrow stay on tv and get rid of carrie and reign they are bogh so boring

Sabrina January 7, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Hi there please to save beauty and the beast from being cancelled you have to sign the petition which is www .change.org the CW networks

The petition will be delivered to the CW television networks

So please to save beauty and the beast just like season two was save because of the petition don’t forget to do it so that they will be a third season

Cassandra December 31, 2013 at 1:05 am

LOVE CARRIE DIARIES. watch it. It’s amazing. My whole family and friends watch it and I’m in my twenties! Very relatable

sara hempstead December 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

How can nikita come back it ended I hope reign comes back and I hope beauty and the beast ends

anna December 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm

i hope reign ends and BATB comes back

Ashley December 29, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Are you kidding? Reign stinks. Nikita should have stayed on and hopefully BatB will be renewed. It’s the best series on the cw right now aside from The Originals. Everything else is boring.

Brandy January 1, 2014 at 11:56 am

BatB is a good show but not as good this season as last and not the best on CW.Nikita was good in season one but not after thatNikita didn’t stay on because the showrunner and lead actress only wanted to do four seasons and it had terrible ratings four three seasons. Reign dosent stink,it’s CWs best show.Why do you guys bash shows ,say they should be cancelled just cause you don’t like them?How old are you ?Plus to say a show “stinks”?!BatB won’t be renewed, it has too low of ratings.Why can’t you respect that other people like other shows and not wish/root for cancellation of them.I hope Reign,Carrie Diaries,Hart of Dixie come back( I think HoD will for syndication and right now I believe Reign will get renewed and BatB cancelled.)

Dee December 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

The Vampire Diaries and Arrow are not better than Beauty and The Beast. The Originals is the only other good series on right now and for ne TVD and Arrow can go away and leave The Originals and BATB alone. This season TVD has bee stupid and boring. Can’t stand Arrow and his flashbacks.

Biddy December 29, 2013 at 2:19 am

Love B&tB and never watched the CW shows until this show came along. Hope CW give it another season for the loyal fans and really for the wonderful creators, writers and actors.
It’s a great show once you get into it and special effects are brilliant as is the chemistry between JR and KK. I got introduced to HOD by following B&tB on CW. Got caught up with I Tunes and first season was great but have given up that show. It became very silly and forced stories that made no sense. I think that should get cancelled before B&tB, though I hope not for the fans sake. Not interested in any of the other shows on CW but hope they get to stick around for their fan followers. Once you get totally invested in a show and the characters it’s almost like having a dear friend move away and never again hear from them:-( I think if B&tB get cancelled I would move away from CW as nothing else interesting for me to watch there. In future will only get involved with shows that have been around for awhile and not get invested until they are 3 seasons along, catch up with Netflix or ITunes and then follow. Please do not move away Bt&B, love you and would miss you terribly.

IMO December 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and Arrow are all three keepers. The others? I don’t watch them and they can go away.