CW 2013-14 Season Ratings (updated 10/11/14)

cw-tv-show-ratingsOf the five networks, The CW has the fewest hours of primetime to fill but they’re not finding it any easier to find hits. Most of their returning shows are way down year-to-year and some of their new series are struggling. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CW shows this season (so far): The 100, America’s Next Top Model, Arrow, Backpackers, Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Famous in 12, Hart of Dixie, Masters of Illusion, Nikita, The Originals, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, Reign, Seed, Supernatural, The Tomorrow People, The Vampire Diaries, and Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

How does The CW decide what to cancel or renew? They look at a lot of different factors but the ratings play an important role. The higher the ratings, the better chance a show has of surviving. Here’s how the network’s shows are doing so far:

Check other networks’ rankings: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are therefore supposedly harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays or Saturday, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make room for something else?

bonnie February 2, 2014 at 10:01 am

BATB is a great show. I wish people would give it a chance and also I wish the cw would promote it more, I can’t understand why they don’t. Great acting by all the cast and the chemistry between Jay Ryan and Kristin Kruek is unbelieveable. Please give us a season 3 cw.

Belinda January 31, 2014 at 1:58 am

I don’t understand why the ratings are bad for BaTB. The show is fantastic. It has everything in the show a person could want. They deserve a Season 3. Please do not cancel it…..Love it. The CW is my favorite channel. I will quit watching..CBS and CW should realize that you don’t have to be 18 to like this show…They have millions of fans internationally. Keep it please…

Drew January 30, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Tomorrow people is getting better by the week in terms of acting and writing. It needs to have another season to prove itself or at least finish up. Better than that HOD crap they say is gonna be renewd.

Vicki January 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I don’t know where you’re getting the ratings from, because I know a lot of people that love B&TB. Also, all the comments I read seem to suggest that lots of people love and are watching the show. I think this is one of the better shows on all the networks combined and find the story romantic and exciting. The CW has done little to promote this show, it was put in a terrible time slot and they don’t advertise it like their other shows. I’m not going to criticize any shows because I know they have special meaning to the people that watch them. However, fatalistic resignation that this show will not get a third season is hard to accept. I’m in my 60’s and apparently not in the audience that counts, but my mother, daughter and grandchildren love the show. I don’t think it’s the younger viewers that are buying all the products that are advertised on these networks. The advertiser should take that into consideration and want the older viewer’s opinion on what shows they watch. In the grand scheme of things I don’t think my comments will mean anything to the CW network, but if they cancel this show I will delete the CW station from my viewing list. I will miss Supernatural, Arrow and a few of the others, but not the roller coaster ride of getting involved in a new show only to have it cancelled. It took me three years to really get into Supernatural and I’ve been a loyal viewer ever since. Why the CW is not content to invest in the shows they have is beyond me.

Buffygirl January 28, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I applaud you Vicki. I agree with you 100%. #BATB is one of the best shows on the @CW_Network. I just don’t understand the ratings for Beauty and The Beast because the fan base is quite large. I’m mystified that they never change and go higher. The rating seems to always stay the same and never moves up. Something is very wrong with this rating system and shows should not be based on a number not when they are so popular and watched by many people who enjoy them immensely. Beauty and the Beast should definitely get a Third Season because it is a series that has everything including an epic romance. The actors are excellent and the story line is mesmerizing. I’ve loved #BATB ever since it first came on and have anxiously awaited each episode. I really hope the #CW doesn’t go by the numbers and #BATB is picked up for a Third Season which it so richly deserves. Thanks for stating your mind Vicki and let’s hope we can be happy fans who will continue to watch and enjoy #BATB for a Third Season.

BEASTLY GIRL January 28, 2014 at 10:45 am

BEAUYY AND THE BEAST ALL THE WAY!!

BEASTLY GIRL January 28, 2014 at 10:40 am

PLEASE CW KEEP BEAUTY AND THE BEAST FOR A SEASON 3!!!! IF YOU WANT TO CANCELLED SHOWS CANCELLED THAT STUPIT CARRIE DIARIES OFF TV.

ReingAddict January 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

Gosh im addicted to Reing! I hope it continues to season 2!!

Andrea January 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

I so AGREE!!! Love that show!!!!

mel jervoso January 28, 2014 at 8:21 am

Beauty And The Beast deserve more seasons to come.. It is doing great internationally.. Check Twitter..Facebook..Thumbler..even @ Youtube it has a great vast fans.. very passionate&dedicated.. I for 1 is very proud & privilege to see how beautiful #BatB is.. story..cast/crew/producers/writers.. Not to mention the SPLENDER CHEMISTRY of the MAIN Cast.. KristinKreuk & JayRyan.. w/Austin Basis.. Watching this show gives you a feeling of something very2 special.. something unexplainable but its there because you can feel it… PLS make #BatB stay!

Keeley January 26, 2014 at 2:05 am

Please keep BATB. GREAT SHOW. Was hooked from moment I started watching.

Anonymous January 25, 2014 at 6:03 pm

PLEASE KEEP REIGN!!!!

Andrea January 28, 2014 at 11:50 am

Yes please keep this show! I would have to say it is one of the better shows out there right now. I look forward to it every week. I have gotten several people hooked on watching this new show. In fact, one of my friends is an English major and her comment was “It is nice to see TV bring old world to the new generation in this format, maybe this will get the younger generation interested in history.” Please keep this show moving forward.

LongtimeFan February 22, 2014 at 12:48 am

I agree — I am really enjoying Reign they are bringing history in with drama. hope it keeps going .. Love Hart of Dixie because it is not just big city but small town with southern humor. nice difference .. hope they keep it going bring it back to the subtle humor. I actually have been watching almost all the cw shows and I am over 49.
Haven’t seen the new one yet Starr-Crossed will check it out this weekend.
They can dump Carrie Diaries any day.

Beat Fan January 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Please renew BATB. It is a really great show and it should have better ratings.It won 2 peoples choice awards.Hoping for a renewal.

marstan January 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm

My husband and I are older than your 18-49 group. But we love”Reign”. Ran across it a short time ago when you ran the 3-4 eposides on the same day. We were able to pick up the earlier eposides to get the full story. We will be faithful watchers from now on.

Rhonda January 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I hope Beauty And The Beast will stay on. I really like to watch this show. I do wish it was on earlier than 9:00. It is an exciting show and I watch it every Monday night.

Amy January 21, 2014 at 10:08 am

I dont know why Beauty & the Beast is doing so badly, I absolutely love it!!! I loved the original and I love this one even more :(. I really hope something happens and it gets a hail mary for another season buts its not looking good and I am really bummed about it :(

Hannah January 17, 2014 at 3:16 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RENEW THE CARRIE DIARIES. i know it looks like they have bad ratings etc but people in the UK, such as me and my friends love it! and we have to watch it online. Same with Life Unexpected! PLEASE DO NOT OR I WILL MISS IT SO MUCH!!!! :( I LOVE THE CW FOR IT! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. its the only show I like on CW, forget vampires and beasts. ugh

Luke Romero January 20, 2014 at 9:48 pm

excuse me but TVD, Supernatural, and the Originals have far better actors than TCD, just because a few people in the UK watch doesn’t mean that millions of people watch it. Not hating but its the truth.

Raúl January 24, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Even if you don’t like vampires and beasts, you should really check out Arrow. That’s currently CW’s highest rated show and it’s not only brilliant; they know figured out how to make TV heroes right. I dare say if you watch the pilot you’ll get hooked! And with their Flash spin-off getting released the approaching fall might want to watch some great TV that will get related to another potential hit series.