Dallas: Three Original Stars Reunite for “Next Generation” Series Pilot

DallasBack when “Who Shot J.R.?” was sweeping the country, Larry Hagman decided he could use this phenomenon to play hardball and get a big pay raise on Dallas. It ended up working very well for him. More recently, Hagman was reportedly holding out for more money to secure his involvement in the new Dallas pilot that’s being shot for TNT. Things came down to the wire so that producers actually prepared two pilot scripts, one of which would have shown J.R. Ewing in flashbacks only, via footage from the original series.

Now, it appears Hagman is on board for the project, as are Patrick Duffy and and Linda Gray. The new Dallas series will revolve around conflict between John Ross (Josh Henderson), the son of Sue Ellen and J.R., and Christopher, the adopted son of Bobby and Pam. When we last saw the young men in the first reunion movie, they were getting along quite well. That doesn’t make for good drama of course and now apparently their relationship has gone south — at least in part because of a young beauty named Elena (Jordana Brewster). It’s unknown how involved the senior members of the family will be if the pilot gets picked up as a regular series.

Here’s the press release from TNT…

TNT’s Pilot of Updated “Dallas” to Feature Returns of Original Series Stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray
Cast of Younger Dallas Generation to Include Jordana Brewster and Josh Henderson

Three iconic stars who played pivotal roles in the original version of Dallas have joined two next-generation talents in the cast for TNT’s pilot of an update of the famed series.

The original Dallas ran from 1978 to 1991 and followed the Ewing family of Southfork. The modern story of Dallas focuses on the Ewing offspring — J.R. Ewing’s son, John Ross, and the adopted son of Bobby and Pam Ewing, Christopher — as they clash over the future of the family dynasty.

The updated Dallas will include original series stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray. Hagman gained worldwide fame for his portrayal of oil baron J.R. Ewing. Gray played J.R.’s wife, Sue Ellen Ewing, while Duffy portrayed J.R.’s younger brother Bobby. In the pilot for the new Dallas, Josh Henderson (Desperate Housewives) will play John Ross. Jordana Brewster (Fast & Furious) will play Elena, who is involved in a love triangle with Christopher and John Ross.

Executive producer Cynthia Cidre, who wrote the acclaimed film The Mambo Kings and produced the TV series Cane, wrote the pilot for the new Dallas. The pilot script is based on characters created by David Jacobs. The updated version of Dallas comes to TNT from Warner Horizon Television. Michael M. Robin (The Closer) is the director and executive-producer for the pilot.

About Warner Horizon Television
Warner Horizon Television (WHTV) is one of the entertainment industry’s fastest-growing television companies, specializing in the creation of scripted series for the cable marketplace, and primetime reality series for both network and cable. Founded in 2006, this second production entity allows the Warner Bros. Television Group to expand its programming offerings and explore creative options made possible under a new business model. WHTV is currently producing more than a dozen projects. Its unscripted shows include The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Bachelor Pad and the upcoming Take the Money and Run for ABC, School Pride for NBC and Randy Jackson Presents America’s Best Dance Crew for MTV, among others. Scripted programs from WHTV include Rizzoli & Isles and Memphis Beat for TNT, Glory Daze for TBS and Pretty Little Liars for ABC Family, among others.

About TNT
TNT, one of cable’s top-rated networks, is television’s destination for drama. Seen in 100.5 million households, the network is home to such original series as The Closer, starring Emmy? winner Kyra Sedgwick; Rizzoli & Isles, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander; Leverage, starring Timothy Hutton; Hawthorne, with Jada Pinkett Smith; Memphis Beat, with Jason Lee; Men of a Certain Age, with Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula; and Southland, from Emmy?-winning producer John Wells (ER); as well as the upcoming Falling Skies, starring Noah Wyle, and Franklin & Bash, with Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Breckin Meyer. TNT also presents such powerful dramas as Bones, Supernatural, Las Vegas, Law & Order, CSI: NY, Cold Case and, starting in late 2011, The Mentalist; broadcast premiere movies; compelling primetime specials, such as the Screen Actors Guild Awards?; and championship sports coverage, including NASCAR, the NBA and the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. TNT is available in high-definition.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

What do you think? Were you a fan of the original Dallas TV show? Does the new series interest you?

Erin July 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm

YAY!!! I am so excited!! I cant wait!! I hope it will be as good as the first series!! I am JR’s biggest fan!! You go, Larry!!

Sharon July 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm

My favorite TV series of all time. Also, I believe that it still holds the record for being the longest running series. Believe me, if they do finally get this running, it will be a huge success. America is hungry for more drama like this, a definite “Home Run”!!

Rodney June 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I’m excited to here that Dallas will be airing, this is my favorite show of all te. My opinion is I wish they would have all the originals kids step in and take their place it would be easier having them step in and keep the show going. Even cliff Barnes had a kid.

Janice June 8, 2011 at 6:29 am

Can’t wait to see the new series ! Watched it for years

diann June 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I just fininshed watching all 14 seasons. Took me almost 5 months. I loved every episode. I was very excited to hear there will be a new show. Can’t wait!

Linda June 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I was a big fan of the orginal show. I turned on the TV in 1978 and was fliping stations and came upon the show by accident and have been a fan ever since. If I hear the theme song I kind of get emotional and start tearing up a little. I was upset because for the last two seasons my them husband was in the military and got transfered to Turkey. I didn’t have anyone who was as big a fan as I was to video tape it for me. A freind taped a few eposides, but when I was back in the states I think it was CMT who replayed the series and I watched it until the end to catch up. I then had to see the two made for TV movies and all the specials. I have since moved to the Dallas area and will be taking a trip to the ranch. It got too commerical for me so I haven’t gone in the 10 years I’ve lived here, but I will. I just hope it isn’t a let down from the orginal as some remakes are. Also some ofther orginal cast(no names mentioned) have tried other dramas and they never lived up to what they did in Dallas. If they keep to the orginal in an updated version it might work. I never thought the big screen movie without the orginal cast was going to work and I think the people involved realized it too. I don’t think I would have gone to see it. I know the orginal cast have aged so they need to put them in a part condusive to their age and make the younger people have meaty parts. If they try too much to live in the past the show won’t work, but to not have some of the past in the show would make it just another new show with the same mame and they have tried to do that too with other shows. I want to remember the past in the show while moving on. As one person said I have always wondered how J. R. and the family would have held up in this new energy crises. I don’t know how they can still be profitable in this oil crises. I think Bobby in one of the last seasons said he would like to concentrate on ranching. Maybe they would focus more on that area, but with so many people not eating red meat and trying to stay healthy how can that be profitable? But I guess leather goods are still a good business and milk so maybe the cattle business could be good for those things. I just pray that us older people and the new generations can get back into this new series like we did for over a decade. I want to have that feeling when I know the show is coming on that I did back in the late 70′s and 80′s as I said I would swell up and get excited everytime I heard that theme song. One last thought I hope some of the other cast members would at least make an apperance in some of the episodes. That would make it feel more like “home”

mary ann june 3rd 2011 June 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love watching dallas no matter when and who is on
i almost missed when they were on a few months ago
is there someway i can be notified if and when anymore dallas shows are on
and will the last reunion show come on before the new series comes on
please notify me if there is a way???
thanks
mary ann

Marty May 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I have been to Southfork Ranch three times already with different friends and we have been waiting for a next generation to come out. We will watch religiously. I was writing a pilot, but somebody beat me to it.

kathy May 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Loved the old series looking forward to the new one

loddie May 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I watched Dallas from day one and did not want it to end. So I am very,very, very glad that it will be back on again. Will it be shot at Southfork ranch in Plano again?

L Sexton April 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Finally, a good TV program to be on TV. Can t wait. Good Move TNT

Kevin April 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I can almost recite the entire series word for word. I would love to see Dallas back on TV.
During New Years TNT played Some of the first Dallas shows. I was so excited :-),
I Larry Hagman is my Idol. I would like to meet him some day.

Kevin

skip sewitch April 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I need to know the name of the actress who played the roll of Audra in the soap opera “Dallas”

Victor JENKINS April 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

To Larry Hagman i love Dallas i want to be on the show so bad I am a Tall Dark Handsome Male and i am a great singer i think your show should have a twist One ofthe sons should be Gay yes and More of a twist date a black man and bring him to southfork wwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooowwwwwwww Larry that will set tongues wagging and that black man should be Me.Victor J Jenkins a night club singer think about it !

betty jean April 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My husband and I were taking a tour of the Ewing mansion the day that it was announced that the pilot was a “go”. We were all sooooooooo excited to hear the story!! Beautiful place, hope they use it again!!

Tom July 17, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Folks, there is a time for things. That time has past for this series. This will be a pathetic recreation of the magic of TV magic of the past. My prediction: it will go one season. Canceled from the third tier of TV networks that will go down in history as a pale shade of the once-great series. Larry, Linda and Patrick can’t possibly need the $ that bad…