Dallas: TNT Orders a Pilot for “Next Generation” Series

Dallas TV showLast October, we reported on early plans by Warner Bros. to do a Dallas: The Next Generation-style show for sister company TNT. The rumor was that the new Dallas series would focus on the offspring of some of the original main cast — John Ross III, the son of J.R. (Larry Hagman) and Sue Ellen (Linda Gray), and Christopher, the adopted son of Bobby (Patrick Duffy) and Pam (Victoria Principal).

Hagman, Gray and Duffy had reportedly been contacted to see if they’d be interested in taking part (Principal’s character was in an accident and her face was dramatically altered by plastic surgery). Hagman said that he’d be open to it but his interest really would depend on the quality script. And, not surprisingly, that was the last we heard of it. Projects like this often fall by the wayside.

Today, TNT announced plans to shoot a pilot for a new Dallas series. Here’s the info from the press release:

Dallas: Executive producer Cynthia Cidre, writer of the acclaimed film The Mambo Kings and creator/executive producer of the TV series Cane, has crafted an update of the long-running series about the Ewings of Southfork, whose betrayals, jealousies and passions have made them famous.

The story focuses on the offspring of bitter rivals and brothers JR and Bobby Ewing, who clash over the future of the Ewing dynasty while the fate of Southfork itself weighs in the balance. This project, based upon the iconic series created by David Jacobs, comes to TNT from Warner Horizon Television.

It’s unknown what ages the next generation will be in this new incarnation or if Omri Katz, the actor who played John Ross III for seven seasons and in the reunion movie, will be considered. He’s now 34 and, based on his IMDB resume, hasn’t been very active in the business for awhile.

What do you think? Are you interested in seeing a continuation of the Dallas series or should they do a reboot instead (ala CBS’ upcoming Hawaii Five-0)?

betty strutton June 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

put the new dallas on local channels

betty strutton June 5, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I wish they would air the new Dallas on one of the local channels. Because a lot of people don’t have cable or satellite and those people can watch it. I think it would bring more viewers. Thanks, Betty Strutton

Dorma Lewis Mosher November 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Please keep the new Dallas. And start showing the reruns as I missed some of the first episodes. I hope you are going on with a second season,and a third or more. Let it run it’s course. We love it.

shirley September 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm

please keep Dallas on i cant believe i missed the first season you need to start reruns already, i love the show bring Priscilla Presley back as Jenna Wade she was much better than Morgan Fairchild, i’d like to see more of Cliff Barnes (Ken Kerscheval), and Ray Krebbs, i lived for this show before you got me going again dont let me down now keep it going its as fantastic now as it was before you cant let Bobby die that would ruin everything, Please do not cancel i know there are a lot more people out there that like the show , PLEASE keep it going

Anonymous September 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm

love the new Dallas series. Please continue

Anonymous August 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Finally I found a great show…………..only to find out its cancelled. Please bring Dalla back!!!!

Pami August 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Please keep the new Dallas TV show for another season and do a third season also. I want to see the twins be born and I hope its a girl and boy and I hope the girl is named after the Ewing Mother (Grandmother) and the boy named after The Ewing Dad (Granfather) their first name. This will keep their name alive still in the family.
Don’t let Bobby Ewing died it would not be a good show without him. Let his wife buy him a female tabby kitten and this pulls him out! Also he pulls out because of the twins.
Please keep Dallas on.
I would like to know what other think about what I wrote and if they would like to see this happen also. Please write the writer of the show and ask them to help keep this on!

CarlislaJ August 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Dallas Next Generation is rivoting! Just as good or better than the old Dallas, never a dull moment. I hope that it’s continued as a series. Love IT!!

A. Atkins July 28, 2012 at 7:52 am

Love this show. we only have 3 more weeks before it’s over, and I hate to see it end. I was a faithful watcher of the old Dallas and would not miss it for anything and this goes for this new Dallas series also. Love Love Love it!!! I sure hope they decide to keep filming this series. I would be so happy!!!

Nancy Bergwall September 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Please keep the new series of Dallas. I enjoyed it very much. No sex and swearing for a change. A nice fiesty and refreshing story. Compare some of the other series. This one is much better. It’s down to earth. Again no sex and swearing. That means a lot. I will look forward to see it on again.

Sissy Hadlock July 25, 2012 at 9:09 pm

i love this series and hate to see it end don’t end something everyone is enjoying. don’t be an ABC which cancelled all the soaps due to no one watching which is very untrue all the women who followed tivo’d or dvr’d the program. all the good progeams get cancelled.

Paul June 13, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I doubt it will last but I hope it does. I would love to see the new producers bring Morgan Fairchild as a character. She played the original Jenna Wade in 1978 but the character was recast several years later by Priscilla Presley. Morgan Fairchild looks amazing! She is at least 60 years old and looks better then most 30 year old women. Linda Gray surprisingly looks amazing also and she is 71 years old. Sadly, many of the women like Priscilla Presley have had really bad plastic surgery and look unnatural. No old but not young. It’s TV and ONLY men are allowed to age.

Elaine June 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Absolutely!! This would be the best time to introduce this series, now as there really is no competition during the summer months, hopefully gaining a supportive audience and faithful followers into the fall. Anyone familiar with the original Dallas would in my opinion love this oportunity. I know I would.

Jack Derrickson Sr. June 3, 2012 at 8:33 am

Dallas was the best show ever! I in agreement all who thinks that as many of the original cast who are still with us and willing should be included , Ken Kercheval for sure! Let’s see what happens Ican not wait!!!!!!!!