Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Canceled and renewed TV show

973 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Rick says

Keep it going I. Feel there just now gettingi it together.thelastcouple brings memories of theoldepisodes.

2. Clicia Ribeiro says

I started to watch Dallas years ago in BRAZIL, my home land and now that I am here in US I can’t deny my appreciation for the show! I love it!!!! Please continue with third seasson? I love the story. Please TNT, sign up for on other season !!!! Don’t let it go!!!
    Thanks!!!

3. says

This Dallas was the best show I have seen in a very lot time. The Writing was so great and the actor were so very good too. The Young Actor that play JR , Christopher, Elena, Pamela,Emma, and Drew were very good. I sure hope there is many more seasons.

4. says

Great show, a good renewal od old rivals. Like mosr cable networks, TNT tried getting into the fall/winter fray—move Dallas back to summer when the majors are trotting out reruns or some stupid “reality ” show

5. dallas fan says

yes….yes….yes…. been a fan since the original Dallas. Love the new cast and storyline. Can’t wait to see more. Please bring on season 3!

6. Cynthia Frayser says

After finales “cliff”hanger (no pun intended) you have to bring it back.can’t get enough .loved the original series and I’m in love with the new series.

7. Mary says

Of course “Dallas” should be picked up for another season and I hope others beyond that one. I thought the two hour finale last night was just superb. Certainly, John Ross Ewing is coming into his own and it will be exciting to see how much he is truly a “chip off the old block”. Like so many, I began to watch the current “Dallas” due to my addiction to Larry Hagman’s JR Ewing from the 1980’s version of “Dallas.” However, I am somewhat prejudiced, as I knew Larry and Maj on a personal level…charming, delightful people who definitely earned success and wore it well. Like Patrick Duffy and some others of the cast of “Dallas,” I still think that maybe on some evening when I am watching the program, JR will suddenly appear, hale and hearty, and all that sadness of last yesar will be just a myth of script writing.

8. pumpkin says

yes please renew dallas season ilove the show dallas i grew up watching dallas and my nana use to watchit with me

9. Geri Ann says

Looks like the ayes have it – add my “yes” to the mix! I loved the old series, didn’t know if this could compare, but season 2 was fantastic, and even without J.R., the show can and should continue!

10. Mary Zimmerman says

This is a great show, and should come back for a season three!!! The storyline is great, and the actors are wonderful. I was so saddened to see Larry H pass on, but I really feel the show should go on.