Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Lynn Morris April 17, 2013 at 10:14 am

ABSOLUTELY I would love to see Dallas return for a third season if for no other reason than for Elena Ramos to prove or dispute what she was told by Cliff Barnes. Also I would like to see Pamela to see what a worm she has married; John Ross is his daddy’s son; “tip to tail”!!!!

b.e. April 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

keep it going. keep in mind having to change plots to fit JR dying plays into story line. now that we are past that it should be as good as any show on the tube.

Bones April 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Yes please bring Big D back.

Rose Atwood April 17, 2013 at 9:24 am

Definitely! My hats off to the Producer of this show! I have been a fan of this show since the day it started. I would even adjust my schedule just to make sure I wouldn’t miss this show. This show has been bragged to my daughter over and over again that when this new Dallas came on, we were glued. Bringing the old characters back is just wonderful. It just puts the new with the old and totally, totally enjoyable. It would be a crying shame if this show did not come back. Do try to keep this show running in the winter months as this is the time of year that the majority is locked in their homes and wanting something interesting to view on the tube. The networks tend to repeat so many shows that you have nothing to look forward to. At least with Dallas, it’s like reading a book – a real page turner. Congrats to all of the “Dallas” stars, co-stars, producers and all co-workers!

Anonymous April 17, 2013 at 9:19 am

DALLAS is as extraordinary as the original show. I look forward to my Ewing guilty pleasure each week. Please bring this show back.

Lisa Diamond Stein April 17, 2013 at 9:10 am

Loved the original Dallas and love the new one. Great story line and writing. Would definately miss it if it wasn’t renewed for season 3.

Bill Rea April 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

Without a doubt, Dallas is still one of the top 10 shows on TV. The characters are practically family. I’ve been to Southfork many times and love it. This show needs renewed since there are easily 100 shows on now that couldn’t carry Dallas’ feedbag.
We miss Larry, but there’s plenty of firepower left for another couple seasons.

Cindy April 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

I LOVE DALLAS! Watched it the first time around, and now I have my husband hooked on it. There are so many plots going on at one time and it is fabulous. I don’t even multi-task during that show. Please keep it! :)

Susan April 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

PLEASE bring back Dallas, I remember my parents and GRANDPARENTS watching the original Dallas….my husband and I NEVER miss an episode, we absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Margaret April 17, 2013 at 8:56 am

PLEASE continue Dallas . I watched then and I watch now. LOVE LOVE LOVE this show.
I am in the 50 demographics as well.

Terry April 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

Yes, yes. Keep it coming. Another season please!!!

BethinTexas April 17, 2013 at 8:37 am

Dallas is the best show on TV LOVE IT!!!

joey April 17, 2013 at 8:33 am

No question, bring it back. Stories have been crisp and true to Dallas traditions.

David. April 17, 2013 at 8:19 am

Yes , I hope it returns for years to come.

Cyndi Cruty April 17, 2013 at 7:39 am

Yes.. I was a viewer of Dallas in the past loving it even more with the new character s added. It reminds me of watching the Beatles perform the first time on the Ed Sullivan show….I find myself screaming at the TV in tears and excitement and not able to leave the tube even during commercial’ s ~ I’m too busy blogging on Facebook. Please keep this going with, longer episodes and a better time…don’t let this fire go out. THANK YOU!!
Please remember we are watching in the 50′s age group which I don’t think you consider..there’s alot of us watching in this age group. :-)