Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Eliz April 18, 2013 at 12:02 am

Please bring back dallas! Cant live without JonhRoss

Jim Leinenkugel April 17, 2013 at 11:44 pm

We are hooked, please keep it going.

Judy Martin April 17, 2013 at 11:34 pm

DON’T CANCEL DALLAS…Love the show!!

tj April 17, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Great show, really hope they renew.

Pat April 17, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Please bring Dallas back for another season. It is better than the original series.

Sandi April 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Finally there is an adult drama that is entertaining to watch and that carries a solid story line. The writers have done a phenomenal job preserving the integrity of the original Dallas while introducing viewers to the next generation of Ewings/Barnes. My sister-in-law and I are hopeful the network will renew Dallas for another season. We carve out “Dallas” time from our hectic schedules to gasp, laugh and at times cry….as we talk on the phone during commercial breaks. TNT….there are still viewers who appreciate plot driven television.

Deb & Jeff April 17, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Love the new Dallas. The characters have truly matured in the 2nd season and it may be the best drama on TV now. Bring it back for Season 3 soon. There is too much cheap reality shows that are inexpensive to air. This is complex and well written drama. GREAT SHOW!

Lou April 17, 2013 at 9:49 pm

My husband and I love the new Dallas. We would really like to see it renewed. We would watch it you’re around if we could.

Cathy April 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Please please bring it back. Love this show . I need to know what happens

Bev Yoakum April 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Love it, tremendous writing! Please bring it back.

Memyself&I April 17, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Anyone not watching this show is missing some of the best acting and drama plot line on TV in a long time. It’s just a matter of getting the word out.

Way better than Police/ Hospital drama or Single Lush Scene…keep it and give everybody raises. Emmys on the way!

Cynthia April 17, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I am really enjoying the show. A die hard fan from original and sure hope it gets renewed for third season.

mello April 17, 2013 at 9:01 pm

DO NOT CANCEL DALLAS!!!!!! Love the show I love to see them fight and bicker at each other. It just now has started unfolding. I did not watch the Original Dallas as much as I have this one. I have liked every episode!!!!!

Barb April 17, 2013 at 9:00 pm

We really love the new Dallas and hope it comes back for another…It is better than the first Dallas…we watched it years ago and watched every show. Don’t leave us hanging…we want more.

Jerry April 17, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Please bring back Dallas I watched it from day 1 In 78 Reminde me when I worked the oil industry ! Nothing but good memories I cannot stand some of the tv shows today people act crazy !