Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Canceled and renewed TV show

975 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. REED RICHARDS says

Season 2 Finale opened up new doors that require exploration. Cliff Barnes is a billionaire and we all know billionaires, rarely, if ever, go to prison. And if they do they don’t stay there for long. He will get out. Pamela Rebecca will reunite with him when the JR murder frame-up collapses and John Ross’s affairs come to light. This will allow Cliff to regain control of Barnes/Ewing Global. Emma, still the junkie, will make mischief and mayhem at Southfork with her affair with John Ross. Elena, hell-bent on revenge against the Ewings, and now allied with Cliff Barnes, should be a handful. John Ross, never completely over Elena leaving him for Christopher, will renew his rivalry with Christopher. Drew, responsible for the oil rig explosion, is still on the lam, and will his sister now seek his assistance with her new plan for revenge on the Ewings? Personally, Anne should have died in the oil rig explosion and eventually Bobby should marry Sue Ellen. Imagine that! Bobby and Sue Ellen married with both their sons going at it? Wouldn’t that be fun to watch? Quite a bit of new ground to cover here and with good writing a Season 3 should be a snap.

2. Deborah says

I never missed a show of the original series and the same for the new series. I agree with another post. I as sick of the reality TV. I love this show. Please RENEW. JR will be missed both from the show and as a person but the show must go on. I couldn’t wait Monday nights. D A L L A S I S T H E BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Walidah Barnes says

I love it… I grew up watching Dallas. I have not missed an episode since it came back on and yes i do think it should move back to summer, because it is on some nights while The Voice is on…so I normally DVR both and watch them later. BUT YESSS PLEASE BRING IT BACK I AM UBER EXCITED ABOUT WHATS TO COME!!

4. Clare Gibson says

I love dallas, I am watching the original series on cbs drama. Used to watch it in the 80’s, when I was 8.

Love the new dallas, it is exciting and love all the characters especially josh Henderson, he is so like JR Ewing.

Please keep bring the show back, it is fabulous.

5. Dixie says

I LOVE Dallas!!! I DVR it every Monday night…….My husband and I watch it together on Tuesday. We loved the original Dallas and the new one is just as good. Not much left on TV worth watching…….EXCEPT Dallas!!! PLEASE renew for more seasons :).

6. Jeanne Papania says

Our whole family looks forward to Dallas every Monday night , loved the original show and am completely absorbed in the new production . Please continue the series. Can not wait next season. Love it! Love it! Love it!

7. Heather says

Thjs is the first show in 15 years that i have enjoyed , i missed seasin one and had to buy it in order to get caught up and i am addicted to Dallas please please please do a season three

8. Joe a. says

Please DON’T CANCEL THE BEST TV SHOW EVER ….. I have been watching dallas since
    I was 9 yo now I’m 43 yo my god it’s better then ever please let it roll on …..

9. Jimmy Sanborn says

We like Dallas. I DVR it. I watch it every week. My daughter has started watching it recently. Pleaase renew for LOTS more seasons..

10. Eliz says

I need need need dallas back. So sick of reality tv and all the junk it shows. This is great writing and it needs to comeback
    BRING DALLAS BACK