Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

ken April 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Don’t cancel Dallas. I watched it when it 1st started & all the Ewings were young. It was the best show then & it’s the best show now. I agree with Nicole thursday nights would be better.

Jamie Charter April 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm

In reading the other comments, I think the Thursday night switch would be great as there is no competition on that night, versus Monday nights.
and yes, many are using the DVR and watching it later.
I don’t know if the season would be a real factor; actually think there might be more viewers off the summer but either way, really hope it is renewed.

Jamie Charter April 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm

We absolutely love Dallas and hope it will be renewed for another season.
We think the writing and plots are brilliant and the fact that the show can go on since JR died is a testimonial to those behind the program.

We would be very disappointed if it does not continue and hope you will continue it.

Kim April 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Yes! Please bring back Dallas for season 3. It is as fun and entertaining as the original but the writing is better.The original cast members are great and I love the new cast as well. My husband watches with me and my dad even watches with my mother. Fans must have a season 3!

Clive Bull April 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Loving New Dallas, as is our seventeen year and his friends. The original was a classic – my wife and I were there for every episode – and this is an all round superb re-invention of the franchise for the new generation. So surprised it’s struggling in the ratings. Season 3?? Absolutely!!! We will have a grieving teenager on our hands if not.

Alden April 20, 2013 at 2:11 pm

OMWord, this is a no brainer!!! Bring it back. I’m 64 yrs. old. My 90 yr. old mother and I watch it religiously. It makes our week. Maybe if you change nights the ratings would go up. Regardless, Emma and John Ross ad a real spark to the show. Elena looking up Joaquin from her childhood ads more drama. I love Lee Majors. Sue Ellen is brilliant. I could go on and on. The show is definitely a keeper. Thank you TNT!!!! 2014 and beyond!!

Tom D April 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Yes definitely renew Dallas but limit the whole Ryland family, the daughter, and especially the mother figure, Judith Light, unfortunately. A welcome addition might be Susan Lucci in nefarious plots far and wide, perhaps as a cards be wild joker character seen in one episode and not the next. The series might also benefit from more business action and less emotional scenes sapping the energy of viewers countrywide.
Bobby, Sue Ellen, and Cliff are solid. One more “heavy” actor would be a huge addition, but “who”? I’ll be looking, but have you ever seen a guy named Tom Hanks play a heavy?

Renee April 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Love, love the new Dallas..renew! Big fan of the females on this show…..

Kari April 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm

YES! Dallas is my favorite show on TV!!

Ann Parker April 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm

We have to have Season three..this has been the most exciting TV show I’ve watched in years!!! Please Renew!

Nancy Adams April 20, 2013 at 12:55 pm

My husband and I LOVE Dallas. We watched the original from start to finish and every episode of the new one. We love this show. One of the best on TV by far. So full of suspense, action , SURPRISES! Please dont cancel it.

Troy April 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm

DALLAS is the best! Sue Ellen looks as good as ever!!!! The drama is unmatched!!! TNT at its BEST!!!!!! Please continue DALLAS!!! :)

TJ April 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

JR’s legacy through John Ross must continue!!!!!! Drama, Scandal, Cheating, Lies, Manipulation, Greed…… The Ewing legacy must continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris April 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Yes, must have season 3. Great show.

Ron April 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Dallas must continue!!!! The next generation has unfinished business!!! Continue JR’s legacy!!!!!