Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Doreen April 15, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Yes Please return I love the show it’s just as good as the original . I even purchased all the DVDs of the original to watch over. Everyone I know was talking about the season finale at work this morning they couldn’t wait for tonight. (my Pastor was cutting her prayer group short tonight to make sure she didn’t miss it) LOL

JANET MENDOZA April 15, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I’m already craving more “Dallas”, and the second season just ended. I have watched this show since its inception back in the late seventies. I love this show. Please TNT, please do not cancel this show. As much as I love the original cast, this cast has captured my heart.

John Fuoco April 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Out of all the shows I have ever seen Dallas was always the most intriguing! It’s definitely a winner and it was so heartbreaking when the original went off the air that I don’t think I could handle losing it again. There is so much that can be done with the new show and characters as well as the old characters I truly think its the best show on TV. Brilliant writing twists and turns makes it everything u would want in suspenseful drama!!

Gloria April 15, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I’m counting on TNT to renew Dallas! I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to find out who will screw over whom in the next round!

Patti Ruggeri April 15, 2013 at 11:42 pm

A terrific 2 part “Cliff” Hanger! What a story line interwoven with the reality of JR’s passing from cancer. It was like the movie The Sting; Dallas style. Can’t wait for another season, but perhaps to air in summer as first season, might get better numbers. Renew!

Charisse April 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Yes I would love to see season 3, I love it don’t really watch a lot of shows. This is my favorite.

Randy Lee Warren April 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Renew it !! the best show on television hands down !!!Love it ! Love it !! Love it !!

Kristen April 15, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Please renew!!

kelly April 15, 2013 at 11:37 pm

please bring back dallas for another season

sylvia April 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm

How can they not renew it? It can survive without JR, while I will miss him, I am very happy enjoying John Ross and Christopher, the stories. plots and backstabbing is addicting. TNT would make a mistake not renewing it.

michael brillhart April 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I have enjoyed watching every episode. I hope the show returns next year. They Need to have more drama with some feeling. Sue Ellen and John Ross should be more cunning and devious. Add more depth with a new direction of stories. The show could really grow with some creativity. I know they can do it.

Amy Hurley April 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Please don’t cancel Dallas. It is just picking up and starting to get interesting. John Ross is a scoundrel just like his father… Love its twists and turns. I have been a Dallas fans for decades. Just wish Larry Hagman could’ve lasted a little longer. RIP J.R.

Linda April 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm

You MUST absolutely bring Dallas back, I love it.

Wayne April 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I have watched Dallas since 1978 and never missed 1 episode….TNT you better renew DALLAS!

kelly April 15, 2013 at 11:32 pm

yes please bring back dallas