Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Canceled and renewed TV show

974 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. n. miller says

I love watching Dallas. You will be making a big mistake if you cancel this show. I can’t wait for Mondays to come because of Dallas returning. Please, please, please do not cancel it. I will be forever grateful. Thank you so much!!!!!!

2. Scott says

Loved the original. Wasn’t quite sure about this reboot last summer but became a huge fan this second season. The acting got much better and the story kept me on edge and wanting more. Want to see the one around for more seasons. Summer may be the best time to air it and the network does need more publicity efforts for the show. Btw, Linda Gray looks amazing. For a woman in her 70s, she is still a knockout.

3. Angie says

PLEASE RENEW DALLAS!!! This is the best and most intriguing show on right now! Losing Dallas would be the worst thing since losing The Closer. Please keep Dallas going!

4. Jan Jelinek says

They left us hanging with 2 possible story lines so they have to bring it back…. I want to see where the John Ross and Emma alliance ends up. Will John Ross lose some of his company when his wife finds out about his alliance with Emma…..they really need to bring it back….

5. Erin says

I don’t watch much tv, but I remember my mother watching the Original Dallas as a little girl. I hadn’t heard of the new version of it but watched it on Netflix this weekend. I hope to watch season 2 online and can’t wait for season 3 to air so I can tune in and help ratings! I hope it comes back!

6. Caroline says

Please continue the series . My husband and have watched Dallas from the start and look forward to what the next generation will bring even though we will miss JR.

7. Renee says

Please bring back Dallas. I can’t watch tonight’s finale because they have a basketball game on. There are enough sports channel’s on that they could have put the game on one of theme. I LOVE DALLAS !!!!!

8. Kathy says

Please, please, please bring “Dallas” back for Season 3 and thereafter. I also was a fan of the original “Dallas.” I absolutely love the show, characters and can’t wait each week to see it.

9. Mary says

The New Dallas on TNT is amazing! PLEASE renew for season 3. I watched the old Dallas and love the new just as much. The new cast along with Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray and many guest appearances of others from the original are all fabulous. The writers are brilliant. I am so sad about the loss of Larry Hagman. But he will want the show to continue in his memory. I am ready for Season 3….please let it begin SOON!

10. Kelly B says

Definitely keep Dallas going. I loved the original show and I enjoy the new one. Most times due to work I have to tape it and watch it but I never miss it……..keep it coming…….