Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

greg petersen April 23, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I have enjoyed watching both season 1 and 2 of the new dallas series.Just because the ratings are down the show is a gold mine and should renewed for a third season and beyond.The show is a good quality program,and has done better than the other shows that tnt has.

Peggy April 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Please Bring Dallas back Season 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and more Loved the show did not miss an episode

Jaime Lincoln April 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Please bring Dallas back! Season 3!!!!!!

stacy April 23, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I love this show
have watched since the original dallas
it will not be the same with out JR Ewing but still enjoy the show
will keep watching

Anonymous April 23, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Yes, bring Dallas back ! It is the only tv show other than Fox news I watch!

Anonymous April 23, 2013 at 3:07 pm

never cancel Dallas!!! It is, and always has been, one of the best written, (and best acted), shows on TV!

Dann April 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I have watched Dallas since the beginning. I have the DVD’s of all 14 seasons, the Movies and Now the New Dallas Season 1 Season 2 on wait list. Please bring it back this is so much better than all of these Stupid reality shows. Larry Hagman is missed but I think the current cast is doing an outstanding job. Maybe we can bring back some of the old characters, since they killed off Pam we know Victoria Principle will not come back. UNLESS CLiff has done this on purpose???? Bring Back Callie, her son, Katherine Wentworth, Mandy Winger, Sly, Beaumont, Jamie, the actress who played James Mom is still alive. Barbara Eden?? So many possibilities……….

Anonymous April 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Bring it back! The show rocks with both the new faces and the veterans, especially Linda Gray. It’s solid drama at it’s finest. Season 3 please!

Lynn April 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

One more thing, why do the ratings always cater to the 18 – 49 age group? The over 49 group watches TV also, lol.

Ron April 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I have mised season 2 only because I did not know when it was coming back on. was not advertised on major networks as was first season.

Michelle April 23, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Love the show, used to watch it when I was younger. I know have my daughter hooked on it. Hope to see more seasons to come. I would miss it. You absolutely should renew it, no butts about it.

Lynn April 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

YES Please RENEW Dallas! It is the best drama on Tv besides Law and Order SVU! Loved the old Dallas…..been rewatching all the seasons on dvd. This shows writing is excellent. They got it right for the death of J R. Dang I hate Larry is not around now but I do think the show is good enough to continue. You need to put it on a different night where it does not have to contend with The Voice and Dancing with the Stars. I feel certain that TNT might could sell the rights to one of the big networks. More viewers. The reason for the ratings fall is that people have to wait so long to see it. Case in point…I thought that Smash was a huge hit last year but it took forever for season 2 to appear…I lost interest and the shows I did watch this season just weren’t as good as last year.

I agree with the poster who said that Victoria Principal missed out. The writers have done a great job connecting the old with the new. Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy are the matriarchs now (along with Ken Kerscheval as Cliff) but the young John Ross and Christoper are something to build on! Josh Henderson is doing a grand job of being J R’s son. That is a tough thing to follow but he has done J R proud. With today’s reality tv, which I do not care for at all, Dallas is a breath of fresh air! It is an excellent show with excellent writing and excellent actors. If Dallas doesn’t get renewed, it will be a travesty!

Debbie Carmer April 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

YES, YES, YES AND YES!!!! Renew the show and keep it running. I watch it every week.
I miss JR so very much but the show is still very good. It would probably help to move it back to summer. The competition hasn’t help the ratings. Dancing With The Stars and The Voice are hard to beat. I will continue to watch every week as long as it’s on.

Susan Hall April 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I watched the original Dallas. I loved it! I was skeptical about the new Dallas in the beginning but was hooked from the very 1st episode!! I hope it will be on again in 2014!!

patricia Johnson April 23, 2013 at 10:25 am

Absolutely, renew it!!! It is amazing. I live in Dallas, so i’m biased, but i grew up in Louisiana.

Taylor Serna April 23, 2013 at 9:56 am

I love the show.I watch it or I will record if I miss it but I have seen all of them . Thanks