Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Canceled and renewed TV show

973 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Darlene says

I am a real Dallas fan. Have watched Dallas from the very first show till now. Great people are in this new Dallas and there are alot of story lines then can do in the new show . Lets not forget JR’s other son and Bobby’s son Lucas. Of course Jenna could make an appearance. I hope we see more of Ray and Lucy too. This is a family of secrets still to come. I hope it comes back for the third season!

2. teradactus says

Come on Jr is killed by his best friend? Are you kidden? Is that how an American soap icon is suppose to go out? That just diminishes the mystique and swagger of JR. EWING! So he was getting away with all his mischiveous wrong doing all his life and this how he goes down via a mercy killing? That just stinks! He should have gone out in blaze of glory Texas cowboy style!

3. Phyllis says

Please bring Dallas back. The cast and all the rest of us deserve it. A great job done by all.
    Keep our memories going.

4. Valerie says

Please bring Dallas back. The characters are great and the story lines are so unpredictable. I looked forward to Monday nights.

5. says

I have watched dallas since the beginningin 198- Never missing. I was very excited to hear of a return. Never missing episode. I started watching at age 33 and am now 65!
    Please don’t take it away….KEEP DALLAS IN MY LIFE!

6. Anonymous says

Absolutely bring it back… Watched as a family in the 80’s. Have been thoroughly enjoying the new Dallas.

7. says

Please bring Dallas back real soon …….I miss it already….I love this show…I look forward to Monday night..Renew it soon as you can…

8. nreyes says

Yes, we enjoy watching Dallas. It’s exciting & brings back memories of watching with our parents. Monday today is Dallas something to look forward to after work. 😉
    Miss JR.

9. ANONYMOUS says

Please bring it back. The actors and writers are doing a great job. I cant wait for it to come on every week. It is by far the best show on tv. I agree with someone who said if it had started out on local channels probably more people would be watching it. Not everyone has cable or satellite tv. But the old actors who came back and al of the new ones are doing an excellent job. I just love John Ross!

10. JOANNE says

YES BRING IT BACK . MY HUSBAND AND I WAS BIG FANS OF THE OLD DALLAS AND NEVER MISSED IT AND WE ALS ARE BIG FANS OF THE NEW DALLAS AND HAVE NOT MISSED ANY EPISODE OF SEASON 1 OR 2. IT IS BY FAR THE BEST SHOW ON THE AIR RIGHT NOW. MY HUSBAND THOUGHT HE WOULDNT LIKE IT AFTER J DIED BUT HE DOES,. AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

11. Anonymous 2 says

I was thrilled when Dallas returned, while at the same time skeptical that the excitement and stellar acting could be reproduced. I was both pleased and surprised at the wonderful and exciting second generation taking over the ongoing feud.
    Bravo! PLEASE, PLEASE, BRING DALLAS BACK!

12. Jen says

I am hopelessly addicted to this show. I was too young to watch the original when it first started, but as I grew up, I knew all the characters because my family watched it.
    Today, I love the seamless interweaving of generations past, present, and even connections to ancient past to events that date back to even before even the original Dallas. I wait for Mondays desperately. Please, please renew, nothing beats a good story and great storytellers! Long live Dallas!!!