Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Anonymous April 16, 2014 at 8:57 am

Yes, please renew the show… I really enjoy watching…
I love when the opening music starts, can’t wait to see what is next for the Ewings& the Barnes families ……

Julie April 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I love the show. I was a fan of the original Dallas, and I wait all week to see this version. I can’t wait for the next episode!

Angie Chriest April 8, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Yes it should be renewed!!!!! Dallas must come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yakamein April 1, 2014 at 12:54 am

Yes, most definitely let there be a 3rd, 4th & 5th season and so on…LUV IT!!!

Don Bellezzo March 14, 2014 at 6:14 am

The new Dallas is very good and should be renewed. The only minor criticism is that the new Dallas is very serious and I miss some of the more fun and light hearted scenes of the old Dallas. Also, The older Cliff Barnes in the new Dallas has no redeeming qualities compared to the young Cliff Barnes in the original Dallas. However, overall, the new Dallas is very entertaining! John Ross Jr. is excellent and a good replacement for J.R.

Michael Oquinn March 13, 2014 at 10:12 am

I loved the old one and love the nee one. Hope it goes on for many more seasons

PEGGY January 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

I TJINK THE NEXT GENERATION SHOULD TAKE OVER

Anonymous January 23, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I love the new Dallas and hope that tnt will renew a third season eapecially after the way they left us after season two :-)

Anonymous January 10, 2014 at 12:23 am

I am a huge fan of the original classic Dallas show and watched the spin off series as well (Knot’s Landing where Gary and Valene Ewing were set up in California) I also have been watching with interest the newer generation of conspiracies and takeovers of the newer clan of Ewing siblings and family and would very much like to see it continue for at least a couple more seasons. Any idea if there would be reruns on Bravo later this Spring.

I really love the show and don’t want to miss a single episode as I especially like John Ross
jr, because he really is his father’s son.

Mary Helen Bobo of Siloam Springs AR January 5, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I loved the series of Dallas hope it returns.

Vicki in Georgia December 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I love love love the New Dallas. I’m having withdrawals from no new episodes. Please bring it back.

Marge Miller December 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I love the show and never miss a week. I am missing it. It would make me happy if it came on year round. The new is every bit as good as the old. Sorry about J. R., but life goes on so the show should too.

Gloria stubbs November 27, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Please renew Dallas it was my families, and friends favorite show! Can’t live without John Ross!

Barbara of TExas November 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

I loved the series in the past and also the new Dallas. I hope it returns. If I missed it on the regular airing, I caught up with it on the Damand feature with my cable provider

Anonymous November 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm