Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Donna April 16, 2013 at 8:02 am

Please renew. The show was very good, the acting great and I look forward to Monday nights.

Colleen April 16, 2013 at 6:38 am

Yes renew Dallas. I love it. I watched every show years ago and watched everyone this time around. It is my favourite show to watch. Please keep it on.

Bridgette April 16, 2013 at 5:20 am

Please RENEW Dallas

WENDY CHAPMAN April 16, 2013 at 5:10 am

Yes please . I didn’t watch last year. However one day before this years season started, TNT aired several of last years season. Although when I first saw what was coming on I didn’t really pay that much attention to the tv. I was busy doing things around the house. I did however listen. I caught myself running to the tv to see what was really going on. & to make a long story short….. I was hooked …… oboy was I hooked. I was looking forward to Monday night every night of the week. I was telling all my friends & family to tune in. I love all the new actors & all the old ones too. Keep up the good work……. I Love Dallas..

Vickie April 16, 2013 at 4:37 am

Yes! Renew Dallas. The show is well written and the acting is excellent. TNT has the show going up against the behemoth DWTS on Monday nights so it would do better in a different time slot. If TNT doesn’t want the show I bet the producers could sell it to someone else. Great show!

Kelsey April 16, 2013 at 3:54 am

Yes, yes, and YES. Bring on season three!

Joy April 16, 2013 at 3:40 am

Renew, miss JR but like the show

Ray Krebs April 16, 2013 at 3:34 am

There’s actually a discussion about ‘renew or not’ over Dallas?! It’s the most watched show on TNT for gawds sake. With ever more sliced-n-diced ratings, and the worlds dumbest time slot (vs DWTS, Castle and Hawaii 5-0) Dallas deserves kudos for capturing a very loyal 1.1 ratings.

The writing is better each season; the characters more complex; and the storylines more twisted and intriguing. Shows with multiple characters such as Dallas take a few seasons to hit their stride. And without a significant promotion budget TNT has invested little in driving the audience. I do hope they are smart enough to allow Dallas its legs. If they do the show will deliver a consistent, satisfying, and profitable return for the network.

Jill April 16, 2013 at 3:25 am

Absolutely TNT needs to renew Dallas! It’s fantastic television and incredibly entertaining. If the ratings are better in the summer, move it to the summer. You put it up against Dancing with the Stars and then complain that the ratings are down? I don’t know why the hoi polloi watch DWTS, but they do, so move Dallas to the summer and give us some real entertainment then–just don’t put it up against USA’s powerhouse series. Dallas is a great show, well-written, well-acted and sets the standard for what a nighttime soap-y drama should be. We love it and we want it to continue!

Beckie April 16, 2013 at 3:16 am

I am a “die hard” DALLAS fan. Move it around on a different night so there isn’t as much competition or move it back to the summer months. We don’t care when it’s on, as long as its’ on. Can’t wait for Season 3 to begin… RIP J.R.

Elaine April 16, 2013 at 3:04 am

PLEASE RETURN DALLAS FOR SEASON THREE

Fanchon Fischer April 16, 2013 at 3:03 am

I love the TV show Dallas, I have watched it from the beginning. I’m 80 years old, and have never missed a show. Please bring it back. There’s not many shows that I really do like.

Elaine April 16, 2013 at 3:01 am

I have watched Dallas Since it first started and was happy to see it return to TV on the brave TNT. You have picked up so many shows that were dropped by other networks and made them a fan favorite all over again. PLEASE RETURN DALLAS FOR SEASON 3

Nick Polinski April 16, 2013 at 3:01 am

I can’t imagine the rationale that WOULDN’T create a season three !! The writing is terrific, the main cast has their characterizations thoroughly “fleshed out”, the supporting cast is superb ( the best ), and the direction is seamless. Collectively this makes for a very interesting, enjoyable, sometimes “gripping”, and “much anticipated” weekly dose of escapism that has miraculously picked up where it left off 11 years ago. Maybe it’s me but, now that JR’s gone, Bobby seems ever so tougher. Sue Ellen seems ( and looks ) younger than at the beginning. Even Cliff ( who for a while there looked as if he was going to follow Larry Hagman ) appears “spry”er. Brenda Strong is excellent !! Mitch Pileggi is going to be a big star. He’s the kind of guy who could do a very popular series of movies ( ala Clint Eastwood ) if he gets the right vehicle and he brings tremendous “depth” to his character. The “boys and girls” have earned their right into and onto the show ( except for Jordana Brewster who could be replaced by nearly anyone — very weak characterization that ) and Bum is “cool” — a master stroke.

Maybe that’s what I mean to say: there are a lot of “master strokes” in this series. From the masterful “new beginning, up-to-date characters, interesting and BELIEVABLE supporting characters, thru JR’s demise, I still see DALLAS, masterfully done !! Somethings have changed ( as I have ) but, it’s still the same “good ‘ol Dallas” to me and worthy of tuning into every week.

It would be a shame to not renew and lose the collective efforts of so fine a group “soap makers”. Sometimes, you just want to “lose” yourself for an hour and be transported to a place where you couldn’t normally go. This show does this for me and for a few million
other viewers as well. Don’t forget that almost any day would mean a better viewing slot and ( unbelievably ) some people actually prefer to see a bunch of idiots pretend to compete as “dancers” — I guess the operative here is “common ground” because where else can you see Marie Osmond and 7-foot Jazzbo McWilliams compete on a level playing field ??

Bring this show back ( and change it to Friday or Saturday nights ) !! Then, you won’t be questioning whether of not to renew this fine show !!

James April 16, 2013 at 2:49 am

Season 1 Was Pretty Good, But Season 2 Is Down Right Incredible!!!! Usually I HATE Mondays :-) But Since Dallas Is On, It’s My Farvorite Day Of The Week! I Used To Watch Other Shows That Aired On Mondays First From My DVR Like, Hawaii Five- O Or Castle, But Now It’s Dallas First, Because I Can’t Wait To See What The Newest Episode Brings! LOVE THIS SHOW! Absolutely Must Have A Season 3! MUST!